Profile for mistrymister > Reviews

mistrymister

WinPower 750W Dual Fan Power Supply
WinPower 750W Dual Fan Power Supply

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but just too noisy., 20 July 2013
I've had this PSU in my PC for just over 2 years now. I haven't had any problems as such (I've heard otherwise from other people), but I do have an issue with the noise it makes. It is by far the noisiest component in my computer, and can be quite distracting. I can't say I'd recommend this PSU by any means. Spend a little more and enjoy a little more quiet time.

Stravinsky: The Ballets
Stravinsky: The Ballets

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 14 Aug 2012
This review is from: Stravinsky: The Ballets (Audio CD)
Great recording quality, great mastering. Great performances - on good speakers the bassy, energetic nature of the first section of Petrushka really comes through. Very reasonably priced too, considering these are all the big ballets.

Seagate STBX500200 500GB Expansion USB 3.0 2.5 Inch Portable Hard Drive - Black
Seagate STBX500200 500GB Expansion USB 3.0 2.5 Inch Portable Hard Drive - Black
Offered by IvoryEgg

5.0 out of 5 stars Super fast, Super efficient, 14 Aug 2012
I was surprised at the speed of this drive. It works straight out of the box, and is lightning fast. I get speeds of about 150 megabytes per second via USB 3.0 on average, and I've seen it go as fast as 200. So I copy entire mp3 albums in about a second. It's an attractive, portable drive which was much smaller than I expected. If you're looking for a fast, portable, simple drive, get this one.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2013 5:11 PM GMT

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this, 26 Oct 2011
Purchased this as it seemed good value. I just needed a simple extension cable for a pair of Bose headphones.

However, I was extremely disappointed, firstly because I was sent a 1.2m cable instead of the 2m one, and secondly because of its low quality.

It doesn't produce a clear sound at all - the sound is distorted and not clear like it should be. I have no idea why - the gold plating possibly? It looks more like bronze. Also, despite how thick the cable is for it, the sound quality is awful.

Don't buy this, unless you really don't care at all about sound quality (which I do), and even then think about buying something better.

GRANDGADGETS PREMIUM HDMI to HDMI Cable Gold 10 Metre
GRANDGADGETS PREMIUM HDMI to HDMI Cable Gold 10 Metre

4.0 out of 5 stars Average, 19 May 2011
A pretty decent HDMI - It's just really slow! I predict that you'd see quite a visible increase in performance with a faster HDMI, however this is just fine for my use. It does struggle sometimes at 1080p - but I assume this is my graphics card, and not the cable itself.
Cheap and cheerful, I'd say.

Exspect Component Cable (Wii)
Exspect Component Cable (Wii)
Offered by TECH-MOBILE1

5.0 out of 5 stars It works., 17 May 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
High quality, gold plated component cable. No difficulties, nice and easy to set up. Works all the time, and is very neat.

Call of Duty: Black Ops (Wii)
Call of Duty: Black Ops (Wii)
Offered by Mayflower Stores

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 17 May 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game is SO much fun, and feels amazing especially with the wii zapper extension. The graphics are "meh", but once you're in the game, you don't even notice. Just make sure, if you can, to play with a 480p component cable - it makes a hell of a difference.

The controls are great, and very very accurate, which I suppose makes it more realistic than the PC/PS3 versions.

Multiplayer mode is also very challenging, but great fun.

TP-Link TL-WN781ND 150Mbps Wireless PCI Express Adapter + Low Profile Bracket
TP-Link TL-WN781ND 150Mbps Wireless PCI Express Adapter + Low Profile Bracket

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 17 May 2011
This adapter is pretty darn fantastic.

It worked straight away. Just bought a new computer, installed Windows, plugged this PCI card in, and boom. It worked straight away, no hassle or anything. Generally, with stuff like this if people say they can't get it to work, it's either a problem with their computer or a problem with them. If you know what you're doing, this thing will work immediately. Just put the CD in, it installs the drivers, and you have wireless internet.

My only problem is one to do with range. I only ever get 3 bars, but only because I'm pretty far away from the router, say 15m ish. And I hate not seeing 5 bars on the corner of the screen. Consequently, I hide the network status icon, and I'm happy again, still getting optimum speeds - the apparent "connection status" doesn't really affect the speed - not really for me anyway.

If you want a nice, quick, simple way of getting wireless internet on your PC, and you have a spare PCI-E x1 slot, get this. There's really no point spending loads of money on something which won't do a better job. This was very reasonably priced, comes with nice instructions and everything

A great product!

Music for 18 Musicians: For Ensemble (Hps 1239)
Music for 18 Musicians: For Ensemble (Hps 1239)
by Steve Reich

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection, 12 April 2011
One of the most unexpected things about this piece of music is it's simplicity. It's an hour of very very simple music, mainly made of additive melodies and fading in and out. But that's what makes it so great. This score sort of shows you what was going through Steve Reich's head in 1974-76, and it's really specific, with all these performance directions such as "voice 2 and 3 swap" - things you don't notice in the 5 available commercial recordings, and probably not even in a live performance/recording. If you're not crazy about this piece, it's not worth getting the score, and if you're too crazy about it, don't spend too much time with this score.

Writings on Music,: 1965-2000
Writings on Music,: 1965-2000
by Steve Reich

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive & Informative, 12 April 2011
This is a must have for any avid Steve Reich fan - if you thought you'd learnt a lot by listening to and watching lots of interviews, you don't know anything until you have read this book.

There are some really great score samples and really interesting opinions that you may have already known Reich holds, but expands on everything in great detail. It's interesting to learn about his musical history, and his writing about it just makes it all the more interesting. Some great diagrams too; one which stuck in my head is the orchestral layout diagram of The Desert Music - this immense, rich instrumentation actually has quite an interesting layout when performed.

If you want to learn even a little about Reich's work, get this book. It's precious.