Profile for SH > Reviews

Content by SH

SH (London)

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars dose?, 31 Oct 2013
There is no dose information in the the description. How can you possibly decide if the product is is suitable or how it compares to other supplements available?

Braun Beaker (500 ml), transparent MR5000
Braun Beaker (500 ml), transparent MR5000
Offered by SussexSpares

1.0 out of 5 stars did not last long, 22 Feb 2012
I bought two of these beakers to use with my braun hand blender a few months ago. One broke almost immediately and the other one lasted only a couple of months. It seemed as if the blender blades somehow caught on the slightly raised shaping on the inside bottom of the beaker, slicing off bits of plastic. A poor design, in my opinion.

The X-Factor Diet: For Lasting Weight Loss and Vital Health
The X-Factor Diet: For Lasting Weight Loss and Vital Health
by Leslie Kenton

5.0 out of 5 stars great diet, well researched and supported, 1 May 2009
Having tried and had success with Atkins several years ago I was very interested to see how and why Leslie Kenton would recommend a low carb diet. I found this book full of useful research to support the eating regime and was also encouraged to find Kenton supports a ketogenic diet, which many books talking about insulin resistence etc do not. Intinctively I know that a low carb diet is good for me - I lose weight and feel great provided I don't go too low with the carbs. And it is great to see this style of eating supported by someone as health conscious and well-informed as Kenton. Too many people critisize low carb dieting without being fully informed and think it is just about eating fatty meat and nothing healthy. This book shows that is not the case.

The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet: The fast, no-hunger weightloss diet for vegetarians
by Rose Elliot

4.0 out of 5 stars Thank goodness for a vegetarian low carb diet book!, 26 April 2009
It was such a relief to find that Rose Elliot has written a low carb diet book aimed at vegetarians. I first started low-carbing a number of years ago when there were basically no books or decent information aimed at veggies. And it is my experience that a vegetarian diet tends to be far higher in carbs that the average meat eater's diet - especially when low-fat dieting, which can lead to all kinds of problems, and no matter how much fruit and veg you eat it is still not 'balanced' because of the lack of a decent amount of protein.

However, although I have scored this book highly, I would say that to me it seems rather weak on the science of low-carb dieting. Of course Ms Elliot does not claim to be a doctor or a scientist, and I am not critising her for anything she has written, but if you want to know more about why a low carb diet works and why it is actually brilliant at correcting all kinds of metabollic disorders related to high insulin levels and a life time of overeating sugar and other carbohydrates, there are better books out there.

That said, this book outlines the approach clearly, and is more or less a veggie version of the famous low-carb diets out there. A word of caution about low carbing - With any low carb diet you tend to feel slightly tired or even a bit under the weather for a few days. This is not because the diet is unhealthy - but because it takes your body a couple of days to adjust. All the enzymes and what-have-you in your own body chemistry are set up to deal with the high-carb way you have been eating. Give it a few days. And don't cheat. Eat more veggies if you feel you've taken your carbs too low - not something full of refined carbs.

You'll feel so much better. And it really works!

Low-Carb Vegetarian
Low-Carb Vegetarian
by Celia Brooks Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting recipes - love it!, 26 April 2009
This review is from: Low-Carb Vegetarian (Paperback)
I am so glad I bought this book as it makes low-carbing as a vegetarian so much easier! The recipes are intersting and every one I have tried has worked well, and so far none of them have taken particularly long or used weird ingredients. One word of caution, I find the sweet recipes tend to use far too much sweetener for my taste, leaving that nasty artificial taste. Still - after the first time I just reduced the amount of splenda I used dramatically.
This book has drastically increased the variety of food I'm eating, and I have started ordering my groceries with the book to hand and working my way through the recipes - even ones I wouldn't normally be drawn to trying. Brilliant!

Sprouts and Sprouting: The Complete Guide with Seventy Healthy and Creative Recipes
by Valerie Cupillard

3.0 out of 5 stars pretty to look at, but..., 26 April 2009
There's no denying this is a beautiful book with some useful information in it, but it has a lot of faults. It doesn't seem very well organised at all. There is a fair amount of information about sprouting if you are new to it, but to me (a novice sprouter) there also seems to be a lot left out. Also, it jumped about a bit, with information divided up. There is no meaningful index, so you can't just look up 'sunflower seed sprouts' in the back and discover where to find the information.

It also seems rather a stretch to sell the book on the 70 healthy and creative recipes. Many of them seemed like no more than serving suggestions to me - eg put some in a tofu sandwich. Here the lack of decent index also annoyed me. There is an index of the recipes, but it is purely alphabetical for the first word in the title. so you can't look up recipes relating to a particular sprout you may have grown.

All in all I wish I hadn't bothered with this book. Also it is big, which is irritating on an already overcrowded bookcase, and I doubt that I will keep it.

The 5-Minute Plantar Fasciitis Solution
The 5-Minute Plantar Fasciitis Solution
by Jim Johnson

4.0 out of 5 stars It works, 17 April 2009
I bought this book several months ago during a flare up of terrible heel pain. I was reluctant because of the cost but was desperate and now I am glad I did. Basically the book goes into quite a lot of scientific detail - which you may or may not find interesting. But then the suggested treatment is incredibly simple. I have to admit to feeling slightly cheated by it. The book is expensive and it is short with a lot of white space.

But the Solution does actually work.

At the time I was trying all kinds of other remedies, so although I felt it was this book's method that worked I couldn't be 100% sure. But just recently the good spring weather has brought on a phase of extra long walks and my heel pain returned. I went straight back to the Solution in this book - nothing else at all - at it worked. Immediately.

Really it should be 5 stars because it is a simple truly effective method that has saved me untold pain. But you could write the method on the back of an envelope (or even a postage stamp) and still get the same result - hence I'm dropping a star just because it seems a bit of a 'greedy' cover price - but I know that is the publisher, not the author.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 23, 2011 3:09 PM BST

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars not easy to clean, 15 Mar 2009
when I received this item I was startled to discover that it states in the instruction leaflet that it is not dishwasher proof. This was a real disappointment as a smoothie maker designed for use 'on the go' is by definition going to be in use away from washing up facilities. Dried on bits of fruit are not my idea of easy cleaning.