Profile for P. Monk > Reviews

Hanging Hill
Hanging Hill
by Mo Hayder

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor, 16 April 2012
This review is from: Hanging Hill (Paperback)
This is the first Mo Hayder book I've read, and I doubt if I'll be trying another. I was taken in by the reviews from reputable newspapers, and began to think that maybe it's just that I don't like this particular genre of chillers - too graphic for me?
But on reflection, it's the poor plotting, characterisation, and sheer unbelievability of behaviour of the main characters that makes me think that this is one of the worst books I've ever read.
There's too much unexplained, left hanging,stuff that doesn't tie up, that leaves me incredulous that this could get a 5 star rating.
Sorry!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2013 7:22 PM BST

Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer
Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer
by John Grisham

4.0 out of 5 stars It is a children's book....................!, 29 July 2010
I don't know how so many people can have missed that this IS a children's book. It has been marketed as such - read the reviews. Always good to know what you are buying.
And I enjoyed it, too. Nice little pot boiler for the younger end - I wouldn't say teenagers, and Amazon says for 4 to 8 year olds.
Yes, shades of To KIll a Mockingbird. Nothing wrong with that.
I want to know what happens next as well.

Belkin Neoprene Messenger Bag for Notebooks up to 15.4', Jet/Cabernet
Belkin Neoprene Messenger Bag for Notebooks up to 15.4', Jet/Cabernet

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 29 July 2009
Very disappointed with this product which I bought for my son who lives in Amsterdam. The bag's straps broke after a couple of months - not through overuse or misuse.

The Third Angel
The Third Angel
by Alice Hoffman

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 6 Aug. 2008
This review is from: The Third Angel (Paperback)
I was so pleased when I found Alice Hoffman's latest book because I've read them all and love her stuff.This one is so poor that I can't believe it is by her.It's very superficial and empty - no characterisation and badly written. As the other two reviews say, it's chick-lit and not good at that.No sense of place and no depth to it at all.I'm finishing it to find the links, but have to keep going back to to check them.
I'm so disappointed - it sounded promising from the blurb. Should have been warned by the recommendation from Jodi Picoult!