Profile for Braggadocchio > Reviews

Oonaverse
Oonaverse
Price: 2.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and funny, 30 July 2014
This review is from: Oonaverse (Kindle Edition)
I love this story. It's completely fascinating, complex, humane, nicely written, and very funny. In places, coffee-spray funny. I know, because that's what happened.

Jonathan Waite is a writer of great invention. In some respects, his weaving of worlds and characters reminds me of Diana Wynne Jones - and indeed, I think fans of Jones will love his work - but his voice is very much his own: intelligent, lively, and kind.

I'm off to buy "Tetrad" now.

Rock Style Union Jack Cross 701379 Ladies T-Shirt M
Rock Style Union Jack Cross 701379 Ladies T-Shirt M
Offered by Chameleon Clothing
Price: 12.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect present, 25 July 2014
Bought for an American friend to wear on the 4th of July. Splendidly tasteless - she was delighted. Quality - nothing to complain about; also survived washing and tumble-drying without shrinkage.

This Crumbling Pageant: 1 (The Fury Triad)
This Crumbling Pageant: 1 (The Fury Triad)
by Patricia Burroughs
Price: 10.81

4.0 out of 5 stars Richly-detailed and suspenseful fantasy, 25 July 2014
This is an intriguing and page-turning mash-up of high fantasy and regency romance, set in an alternate early-C18th Britain that exists alongside the non-magical world, and where the heroine, Persephone Fury, discovers that not only is there evil at work in her own secure, privileged world, but that there is darkness at the root of her own talent, and that not everything is as it seems.

Burroughs does a lovely job of turning her heroine's and the readers' expectations on their heads as Persephone throws herself perforce into ever deeper entanglement with people and magics she has always been taught to fear and deride, and watches her certainties crumble. Add to this a talent for fast-paced story-telling, and detailed world-building, and you have a novel well worth reading.

I'm looking forward to the second instalment, and finding out not only What Happens Next, but also getting more deeply into the world of the Furys and their allies and enemies.

Just One Damned Thing After Another (The Chronicles of St. Mary's Book 1)
Just One Damned Thing After Another (The Chronicles of St. Mary's Book 1)
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars That was the best fun ever, 17 Jun 2014
It's so refreshing to read a book that's riotously fun, clever, heart-warming and keeps me completely hooked from beginning to end. I love the characters and their interactions, and I'm so reluctant to part from them that I've just bought books two and three, and the short story. There is still plenty of history to pillage for the episodes of the book, and plenty going on in the thriller-type larger story arc to carry through the next books. I highly recommend this.

The Raging One (The Sundered Lands Saga Book 1)
The Raging One (The Sundered Lands Saga Book 1)
Price: 1.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but an absorbing story, 12 May 2014
There are aspects of this novel that made me want to give it fewer stars, but when it came down to it, I really enjoyed the story and read it in one sitting!

It's a stirring tale and an intriguing beginning to a fantasy series that I shall probably follow. I liked the characters well enough, and the world-building is well conceived and executed - cultural differences and similarities are well-drawn without being clumsy.

The things that let the book down were the author's poor grasp of grammar, over-use of descriptive language, clumsy novice tricks such as describing everyone's hair and eye colour when we first meet them, as if we're really going to remember or be bothered, dangerously-close-to-cliche characterisations, some fudging of more complex issues of world-building and motivation which left me a little perplexed... It reads like a fairly raw draft that could use a good editor.

HOWEVER... though Ms Wolfe shows some weaknesses as a writer, she does have a gift as a story-teller. As I said, I didn't put this down - and it's quite a long novel. Pacing and rhythm and invention are all there, strongly enough to make me glad I didn't allow myself to be put off by the writing. (And the writing's nowhere near as poor as some things I've come across, so please don't mistake me and think it's abysmal - it's not.) In terms of the actual story, my only cavil is that the climactic scene was dealt with too quickly - it was almost a case of "blink and you miss it", which is quite a shame, considering how good the build-up was.

And now I have written this, I think it's time for me to buy the next one, if it's already written, because right now I am in the mood to be told a story, and that's where Lexy Wolfe excels.

Blue Max Banner Junior Girl's Kirby School Trousers, Black, 6-7 Years
Blue Max Banner Junior Girl's Kirby School Trousers, Black, 6-7 Years
Price: 9.52

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good pair of school trousers., 17 Mar 2014
Fits as expected - a little slim, so not for the chunkier child, take note. Nice quality. My daughter says they're very comfortable.

The Opposite of Magic
The Opposite of Magic
Price: 1.94

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, 17 Mar 2014
It's an okay book, but I confess, I am struggling to maintain my interest. The writing's pretty good, but the characters are all types I've come across plenty of times before, and while I sympathise entirely with the heroine's wish to find magic in real life, I found the book's idea of where magic actually resides in real life - no, I'm not going to give any spoilers because that wouldn't be fair - silly, rather than clever. It's an idea that exploits the ignorance of the reading public, and I am uncomfortable with that. The plot twists are okay, but you can see them coming a mile off. Also, and I think this is probably my main gripe, the arena for the story just feels very small. That would be okay, were it not for the fact that the Macguffin is one offering the potential for something cataclysmic. I'll probably read a bit more (I'm over half way through) to see if it gets any better, but I'm not holding my breath.

In summary: easy reading, nicely written, don't expect anything earth-shattering.

The Monster Bride (Monstrum Mundi Book 1)
The Monster Bride (Monstrum Mundi Book 1)
Price: 1.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual and immense fun, 28 Jan 2014
This is a most unusual story, well told and memorable. The heroine is not your run-of-the-mill girl, but rather a reanimated creature built from dead humans and mechanical parts; she's unsubtle, highly intelligent, and a breath of fresh air for both the readers and the two heroes. The world of this story is also an unexpected treat - a mixture of steampunk and the supernatural, richly imagined and deftly portrayed, full of social and political complexity. The plot takes some unexpected turns and comes to a satisfying conclusion which leaves room for a sequel, should the author decide to write one. I hope she does.

EDITED - apparently the editing/proofing errors in the text (of which there were quite a few) have been fixed, so thank you to the author for this. However, I'm leaving part of what I said here: there were a lot of errors, and yet I did not stop reading. Could not stop reading. I say this as someone who will generally stop reading in disgust if there are a lot of proofing errors - but not here. Definitely not with this one. It's tremendous.

Oh - a word to the wise: there's some very explicit sexual content in this novel. For once, it is there because it's absolutely integral to the story, and not there for simple titillation. Kudos to the author for managing this feat.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 15, 2014 12:18 PM GMT

Hollow Earth (Hollow Earth 1)
Hollow Earth (Hollow Earth 1)
by John Barrowman
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and fun read, 30 Dec 2013
This is an excellent children's book - fast-paced, nicely written, and with an intriguing premise. it's the kind of book that stands up well to being read as an adult, and while it eschews the soggy emotionality of a lot of "YA" fiction, it does not turn away from the notion that there are many difficult complexities to negotiate in life. The Barrowmans expect children to read intelligently, and this shows a wonderful respect for their audience.

I was given this book as a Christmas present by a friend who knows I like good children's fiction. I'll be encouraging my 12-year-old to read it, and will probably read it to my younger child soon.

And I'm about to buy the sequel.

The Breakers Series: Books 1-3
The Breakers Series: Books 1-3
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent series, 23 Oct 2013
Compulsive reading, compelling characters, stunning, well-thought-out world-un-building. I wasn't too sure about these before reading, but then I couldn't put them down. I've just downloaded the fourth one to my Kindle.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5