Profile for Lisianthus > Reviews

Content by Lisianthus

Lisianthus

Page: 1 | 2
Sea of Shadows: Number 1 in series (Age of Legends)
Sea of Shadows: Number 1 in series (Age of Legends)

2.0 out of 5 stars nowhere near as good as her other books, 22 April 2014
I've read and liked most of Kelley Armstrong's books. This book was extremely disappointing- it read like a young author's first work, not a book written by an experienced writer. I'm assuming this is one of her Young Adult works, but her other YA works are much better written. The characters in this book are two dimensional and the male characters are irritating in the extreme. In particular, Gavril spent his time patronising Moria as if she was about 7 years old instead of being almost his age (18) with extensive training in a respected and responsible job. He has a nice little sideline in gaslighting her as well.

Is this a thing now? Do authors think younger readers view it as acceptable or somehow an attractive trait for a young male character to treat his girlfriend this way and have her (even though she is an assertive character with no self-esteem issues) just accept it because of LUUUURRRVE??!! If he was just a jerky character, fine, but no-one calls him out on his behaviour and he is tidily assigned to Moria as her boyfriend in a heavily-telegraphed way right from the beginning of the novel.

Kelley Armstrong used to be one of my "no need to think about it, just buy it" authors. This was sub-standard garbage.

Called: Southern Watch #1
Called: Southern Watch #1

4.0 out of 5 stars Great new series, 18 Mar 2014
This is the first book I've read from this author, and it's really good. I will be buying more of them. Beautifully drawn characters, with background information hinted at rather than spoon-fed to the reader, which leaves you interested in finding out more. Amusing, but still very evil villain and super-villain. Lots of loose threads to be pursued, without in any way making this story incomplete in itself.

Easy Bake Coven
Easy Bake Coven

2.0 out of 5 stars Glad it was free, 12 Mar 2014
This review is from: Easy Bake Coven (Kindle Edition)
This book is a bit badly positioned. The cover, the title and the start of the book set it up as a humorous chick-lit type of book. Then the hero shows up and it changes to more of a high fantasy novel with elves, deadly struggles for the crown and so on. It's like the author really wanted to write like Tad Williams, Patricia Briggs or someone along those lines but wasn't confident she had the skill to pull it off and so stuck with this weird half-way house.

She certainly isn't as good a writer as the two I mentioned, but this could be a good, fun, chick-lit style fantasy if they would clean up all the typos and sort out the hero who is really annoying. He's the "Byronic, secretive, treat the heroine like a child and call it a tantrum when she gets annoyed" type. It's odd, as you tend to see that kind of hero in books where the heroine is a ditz. The heroine in this isn't ditsy at all- she's a highly-educated, successful business owner, a centred yoga practitioner and popular with lots of friends and a fiance, so it's weird he treats her and speaks of her as an over-emotional, disrespectful child. And she starts to collude in this and defers to him, and it's all supposed to be OK because he's a passionate kisser. It's like watching a car-crash of an abusive relationship start.

This book could have been so much fun. What a missed opportunity.

Bones of the Fair (Darest Book 2)
Bones of the Fair (Darest Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, so glad I discovered this writer, 11 Mar 2014
Beautifully written. It's so nice to discover a writer in this genre who really knows how to write amidst all the rubbish chick-lit stuff churned out by the crate.

The characters are really well-drawn, the plot is fascinating and I just can't wait for another book by the writer.. Champion of the Rose is also really good. If I had to compare Ms Host's writing style to that of another author, I'd say she reminds me a little of Robin McKinley, but only a little, as she is very much her own writer.

The Accidental Demon Slayer, An Urban Fantasy Romance (Biker Witches Mystery Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, with doormat heroine, 11 Mar 2014
I got this book for free, so probably shouldn't have expected much. The heroine is spectacularly annoying. She has amazing powers of combat etc etc, but is a complete doormat, and never stops being that way. She always does as ordered by the large cast of "comic" characters straight from Hillbilly Central Casting and never is even vaguely asertive. She's the sort of heroine you want to shake. The book works to ALWAYS put her in the wrong and make her look stupid/ungrateful/whatever.

The humour in the book is a one-joke riff on the coven consisting of old people who ride motorbikes (! heavens!) and eat roadkillesque food because they are Southerners (and all Southerners are roadkill-eating hillbillies prone to irrational violence, right?)

The grandmother is a complete rip-off of Grandma Mazur from the Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum novels, except that JE's character is actually funny. I see that another reviewer has already noticed the resemblance.

Under Wraps (The Underworld Detection Agency Chronicles)
Under Wraps (The Underworld Detection Agency Chronicles)
by Hannah Jayne
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

2.0 out of 5 stars A Missed Opportunity, 23 Aug 2013
You know, I really liked the idea of this book. I looked forward to the idea of a heroine who wasn't a bad-ass leather-bustier-wearer who could could fight like a ninja and shoot like Annie Oakley. A more normal urban fantasy heroine would be great. Unfortunately, this is not what we have here. Sophie is simply a woman who seems to be as dumb as a bag of hammers and who drops 20 IQ points that she cannot afford to lose as soon as anyone with XY chromosomes who isn't actively ugly walks into the room. The author may be aiming at "adorably ditsy", but she needs to go away and read more Mary-Janice Davidson or Janet Evanovich who do this a lot better. Their heroines have personalities and succeed in being funny and likeable. This heroine is also a bit of a Mary-Sue in that although she isn't drawn as being particularly attractive or interesting, men seem to be magnetically attracted to her anyway.

But the main reason I will not be buying the next book in this series, even though I could really do with some new books, is the author's repeated and offensive use of the word "spastic", for example in one scene where Sophie is trying to get away and thinks "Spastic movements!" and starts jerking around all over the car. So if you have a child with cerebral palsy, this author thinks it is acceptable to disguise her poor writing skills by mocking your kid for a cheap laugh. Lovely.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 24, 2013 1:50 AM BST

WellBake Professional Silicone Oven Tray. 38cm x 27cm Non-stick, Never Rust + 10 Year Guarantee
Offered by WellBake Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars An UTTER pain in the neck to clean, 30 Sep 2012
This product is non-stick, sure, but I now really wish I'd just bought an ordinary metal oven tray instead. I've used it several times in the month or so since I bought it as I don't have another oven tray and every time there is the same problem- it is absolutely terrible to clean. For example, I made bread rolls yesterday. The rolls didn't stick at all. Then came the cleaning. The tray seems to be made so it is covered in a sticky coating that makes any crumbs or anything you get on it impossible to clean off. I've tried hot soapy water, soaking it overnight, non-scratch scourers, Fairy power spray - the tray STILL has stuff on it. It is revolting. And the "rolled over" edges positively encourage stuff to get lodged under them.

Save your money and get something else. That's what I will be doing when I can afford to.

Lifft Baby Sling - Vanilla & Stone (8/10 XS)
Lifft Baby Sling - Vanilla & Stone (8/10 XS)
Offered by Simple Safety Solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Really great sling, 15 Sep 2012
I've been using one of these for six months now, since my second child was born. My baby loves it and falls asleep in it while we are out and about. It is really comfortable, far more so than the baby bjorn I used for a while with my first child. You don't have to worry about complicated straps or ties, just throw it over your head, insert the baby and you are off.

It helped us to get over the period where the first child is still using a buggy and you also need to transport the baby, so you start to wonder whether you need a buggy that takes two. Those buggies are expensive and unwieldy, so I am happy I discovered this sling instead! It is easy to carry a baby in this while pushing a small one-child buggy until the elder child is old enough to walk pretty much everywhere.

It is absolutely fantastic in public transport and anywhere else that involves stairs. I felt much safer and it was certainly easier than dragging a buggy up and down stairs.

You should be aware that it is important to get the right size sling when using this. I had to go down a size about six weeks after starting to use one as the original one I had became too big - this sling helps you lose the baby weight!

£55 is pretty expensive though, I've seen it elsewhere in several places at around £40, and I was fortunate enough to get the first one I bought for £20 in a 50% off offer at Boots.

Thirsties Baby 6-Pack Fab Cloth Wipes
Thirsties Baby 6-Pack Fab Cloth Wipes
Offered by Baby's Natur

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 15 Sep 2012
This is a really good product and I would thoroughly recommend it. They are saving me a fortune in wet wipes as I have two children who use them. They wash well and I have not found that the colours run. They are also really good for the sensitive skin of one of my children, which is irritated by many brands of wet wipe. They are very effective in cleaning.

To give you a guide as to how many you need, I've found that two will easily sort out a child with a very messy nappy. I wish I'd come across these sooner.

Where the Heck Are Our Children's Table Manners?
Where the Heck Are Our Children's Table Manners?

1.0 out of 5 stars Wow, this was a waste of money, 21 Jun 2012
This extremely short (pamphlet length) book was a total waste of money, even at under £2. It seemed to be mostly taken up with the author's germophobia. No- one likes germs, but you get the impression that she would like to boil-wash children every time they turn around and shudders when people shake her hand. A lot of the "table manners" she outlines are incorrect as well - they may possibly be US specific and just not applicable here. For example, she talks about setting the table with a teaspoon at each plate, which just doesn't make sense. Perhaps she means a dessert spoon? Who knows.

When I bought this, I was hoping to get a useful guide as to how to introduce young children to table manners. Instead, this very short text consists of [insert story of revolting practice such as double-dipping here] "that's gross, isn't it? Make sure your kids don't do that!" repeated over and over.

Page: 1 | 2