Profile for readinrev > Reviews

Content by readinrev

readinrev

Page: 1 | 2
Before the Dawn (The Grayson Trilogy Book 2)
Before the Dawn (The Grayson Trilogy Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars A truly terrifying ordeal for Emma, 26 Jan. 2015
Like the first part of the trilogy, Beyond the Dawn builds up slowly, setting the scene, describing the characters, their thoughts and fears, as they prepare for the threat of attack. When the action comes it is not a surprise, but the violence is more than I expected and Emma's part in it was completely unexpected.
Once life returns to some sort of normality the author is again dropping hints of more to be revealed in the final part of the series. It is easy to work out what will be revealed in general terms, the title is surely a big clue, but the particular may well be another surprise.
Another well plotted story with real people, but this time in a situation that most of us will never experience, thank goodness!

A Single Step (The Grayson Trilogy Book 1)
A Single Step (The Grayson Trilogy Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Starts slowly but then it's action, action, action., 18 Jan. 2015
I won part two of this trilogy in a prize draw and the author kindly included part 1. A Single Step starts very slowly as the author gives very detailed descriptions of the characters and the setting. While doing this little clues are dropped suggesting that Emma had some things in her life she does not wish to share with others and the estate where she is in charge of the family horses also has a secret. When the action gets going it keeps going, and although I was able to work out some of what was going on, there is still much to discover. This was a good read and I look forward to reading the second part.

Dalintober Moon: A DCI Daley Story
Dalintober Moon: A DCI Daley Story

5.0 out of 5 stars A very interesting little story, 22 Dec. 2014
Bit of a change from the full length DCI Daley novels. There was only one murder! A short story but a very good one for a very good cause. Nice twist at the end. Go on, buy it, enjoy it and support a good cause at the same time.

Bad Sons (Booker & Cash Book 1)
Bad Sons (Booker & Cash Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good read, 18 Dec. 2014
I enjoyed this book very much. Was not too sure at first but soon got into it. Storyline was well plotted and although at times seemed a bit predictable there were some twists and turns before the final revelation. Looking forward to meeting Booker and Cash again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 18, 2014 5:13 PM GMT

The Widow Makers
The Widow Makers

3.0 out of 5 stars A good story but ...., 19 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Widow Makers (Kindle Edition)
This could have been a great read. It chronicles the struggles of many workers and their families in mid 19th century Britain. Living and working conditions were squalid and dangerous while the mine and quarry owners lived in luxury.
Joe Standish does his best for his family and to some extent he improves things, but not enough for his elder son. Tommy wants to reach the top and nothing will stop him. He is more of a caricature than a real person.
I purchased my ebook from Amazon so it must be the final version. If only it had been proofed. There are missing words, wrong words and a random use of punctuation. One character is a tenor when he enters Joe's house but a baritone when he leaves!
I wanted to give four stars because it is a good story but the errors almost made me give up at times so it is only three.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 21, 2014 2:47 PM BST

A Different Place To Die
A Different Place To Die

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a mixed bag, 14 Aug. 2014
Very slow start, lots about lawn bowls, applying make-up then long winded witness who spoke for 3% of the book but said very little. Suddenly it's all go. Bodies turn up everywhere, investigators rush here and there, theories abound and everyone seems to have an issue with everyone else. At least it is action.
Characters are well drawn but what they do is not very professional. DI Quiss will end up in jail and on the Sex Offenders Register if his way of helping Audrey is discovered.
Nice cover showing my University but I did not really enjoy this book. Sorry because the plot is very clever but a terrible way to encourage more organ donations.

I Know You
I Know You

4.0 out of 5 stars Very accomplished debut, 13 July 2014
This review is from: I Know You (Kindle Edition)
I thought this was going to be a novel about teenagers but it had Ben recommended by a friend on Facebook and I have teenage grandchildren. The story was well written and moved along quickly. I began to suspect that this was more than just about teenage relationships. I wondered how Rachel was going to get out of the tangle she was weaving. Stacey and her friends were real people but then the mystery deepened and the real and the mystical met. What happened? You will have to read it for yourself.

Solitaire
Solitaire

2.0 out of 5 stars tedious, 10 July 2014
This review is from: Solitaire (App)
not what I expected

Death in a Red Canvas Chair: A Rhe Brewster Mystery (Rhe Brewster Mysteries Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Could be the start of an interesting series, 6 July 2014
I enjoyed this book. The characters were well drawn and believable. The plot moved along at a good pace most of the time. Towards the end I thought it slowed down as the main characters discussed the evidence and worked out who had done what but suddenly it was all action again. The plot was well worked, but having an ER nurse (Rhe) lead the investigation made me glad I do not live in Pequod as the police seemed to be unaware of what was going on in their town. Without Rhe who nows what disasters would have befallen the inhabitants.
For me there was a bit too much description of meals, snacks and menus. Of course we all have to eat, but I found it a bit annoying to have such detail so often.Maybe I was just hungry!
An enjoyable first novel. I look forward to the next.

The Sunday Girls
The Sunday Girls

4.0 out of 5 stars Life as it was for many, 1 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Sunday Girls (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyed this story. Lived near Dundee in the 60's so could imagine the scenes. It illustrates how life was for many and the story kept me wanting to know what was coming next. Perhaps a bit predictable at times but it is not a thriller or a mystery. It is how it was for many people at a particular time in the 20th Century. I am now reading the next one in the trilogy.

Page: 1 | 2