Profile for R. J. Tierney > Reviews

Content by R. J. Tierney

R. J. Tierney (Cheltenham, Gloucestershire United Kingdom)

Host
Host
by Mark McKergow

5.0 out of 5 stars Newer, and Easier, 6 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Host (Paperback)
Not only a new way to look at Leadership, but it's easier too!

Mark McKergow and Helen Bailey have laid out their manifesto clearly and this book should be on the bedside table of everyone who manages anyone. At the very top of compex organiseations this thesis could radically alter how business functions.

Can't wait to see what happens next

How to Get a Job You Love 2015-2016 Edition
How to Get a Job You Love 2015-2016 Edition
by John Lees

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential resource for anyone in or out of employment, 20 Sept. 2014
I own two earlier editions of John's book. This, eighth, edition is, he says, the most updated yet. So it should be, the world has changed substantially since his first edition, and the job market has changed too.

It is obvious that John Lees knows how to write books that sell. The reason is that this is a great book for anyone who is looking at a career move or assessing the current state of "brand me".

I have almost never had a job, I work as a business owner and freelance; yet this book has relevance to me and my life. It can be read as one or dipped into those chapters that are of interest. The structure makes this a really accessible resource.

I have leant earlier editions to friends who have been job seeking, in every case I've enjoyed a lovely dinner on the return. So you might say this book is a great investment.

This edition of John Lees book is naturally the best yet, it addresses the perennial issues of job search and advises on navigating the radically different modern way employers connect with candidates.

Buy it even if you think you are in the job you love. It's a great personal discovery which leaves you with clarity.

Creativity Now: Get Inspired, Create Ideas and Make Them Happen - Now!
Creativity Now: Get Inspired, Create Ideas and Make Them Happen - Now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the bunch, 27 Mar. 2010
I found this book as I am an avid follower of Jurgen's Creativity blog and newsletter, and I did fear that I was paying for material which is already available online. Well some of it is, but not as well packaged as this. I have read many creativity books (and keep threatening to write my own) but if you've never read a creativity book then this is definitely the place to start. If you're an experienced reader of this kind of work there is something new for you too.

Easily the most readable, practical of the genre, read this now, and then buy Jurgen's other books too!

Marketing for Entrepreneurs
Marketing for Entrepreneurs
by Jurgen Wolff

5.0 out of 5 stars A Genuinly Different book full of practical advice, 3 Aug. 2009
I'm a fan of Jurgen's writing and I own several of his books. In some ways this is an extension of his previous work. In other more interesting ways it is a new departure.

Marketing for Entrepreneurs is jam packed full of simple, practical, honest advice. Simple steps every reader can use right away, and this is in the context of the bigger picture always simply stated.

In addition the book steers nicely around my perception of the two biggest obstacles most new small businesses face: Either the entrepreneur is a creative who is great at generating new ideas and so has no knowledge of the market, or they are vertically integrated into their market and have no sight of the wider picture. Marketing for Entrepreneurs addresses both these types of reader (along with everyone else) clear words taken from the experts the author has used. And of course he's preaching what he practices.

This is no academic tome, it's a charmingly written how to book which will transform any start up business.

Your Writing Coach: From Concept to Character, from Pitch to Publication - Everything You Need to Know About Writing Novels, Non-fiction, New Media, Scripts and Short Stories
by Jurgen Wolff

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Solid Practical advice in a readable format, 22 April 2007
I don't read non-fiction, I refer to it, but I don't just sit and read it. Until I got my hands on Your writing Coach.

Jurgen Wolff's book is a great read, well he's a writer so I suppose I should not be surprised. There are so many books out there giving advice to potential writers, but this is the first I've read cover to cover, it's also the first I've seen which gives "been there" advice in all the other parts of the job - apart from the excellent tips on actually writing the damm thing.

I've already bought three copies for my writing friends and recommended it to many others. If you are involved in any kind of artistic endeavour this advice is spot on. If you are actually trying to write a book, then this is essential reading.

How to Get a Job You'll Love 2003-2004: A Practical Guide to Unlocking Your Talents and Finding Your Ideal Career
by John Lees

5.0 out of 5 stars I run my own company, and this works for me, 10 Nov. 2003
I bought this book looking for a new direction, and found it. John Lees has a way of laying things out which makes it all seem so simple it's easy to overlook the depth and power of his material. If (unlike me) you are a methodical worker you can work steadily through building on your discoveries. If (like me) you are a butterfly, then keep this book in your briefcase and open at random - there's always something illuminating to be discovered.