Profile for IntensiveCareNurse > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 266

IntensiveCareNurse "IntensiveCareNurse" (UK)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Karrimor Mens Notus Weathertite Trekking and Hiking Shoes K507-GNS-159 Gunsmoke 11 UK, 45 EU, 12 US

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent water repellant shoe., 15 July 2014
I have left quite a few months (and around 200 miles of walking) before penning this review.
What I wanted was a summer boot/shoe to supplement my very worn Brasher Hillwalkers, and I think I have got what I wanted.
They are tough and comfortable yet not too heavy & I think that they are pretty well waterproof.... I say this reluctantly as it is so hard to find a pair of trainer type walking shoes that are truly watertight, despite what makers may claim. All I Can say is that I have walked most of those first 200 miles in damp conditions, only finding my socks slightly damp on the one occasion. This was following a ten mile walk in drizzle through wet grass quite a few inches deep (the most testing conditions possible). I have however noted that even with my gore tex leather Brashers, I do get slightly damp feet once the leather outer becomes sodden... I do think that this is down to the decreased boot breathability and foot perspiration though, which I think was also the problem with these shoes...
I could be wrong and will update this review if they do prove to leak in due course (as most boots eventually do anyway).
These are a very good shoe compared to most lightweight walking shoes out there.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Problems..., 15 July 2014
There are a few things the buyer needs to know.

1) This is a seller in China. The ad does not make this plain (which is pretty naughty) and you will wait a long time for delivery.
2) There is NO belt despite the picture having one and it looks integral to the shorts (I think thats pretty naughty too).
3) The shorts look pretty heavy duty, but are actually pretty thin. The zipper is not YKK (or a similarly decent quality make) and is of the type that Im pretty sure from experience Im right in saying will fail in due course.

The one positive is that they do look pretty ok, but I guess you are getting less than you pay for when you consider that you will also be paying for them to be transported across half the globe.
I actually paid around £17 for mine, which is around what youd pay from Asda or tesco for a similar (better quality) pair anyway. I see the seller has now reduced the price but would still advise that the price reflects the quality...
Amazon really need to ensure that it is a lot more difficult for overseas sellers to be mistaken for those in the UK. We all live busy lives and I really needed these within a fortnight.
I wish the seller well but ask him or her to remove the belt and re photograph these shorts and make their origin clear.
In the meantime, buyer beware.

BBC News
BBC News

5.0 out of 5 stars Seamless..., 15 Jun. 2014
This review is from: BBC News (App)
Allows seamless viewing of BBC News live on the Kindle, whilst viewing the regular site via a search engine is fiddly & keeps freezing on tbe Kindle platform...
It makes watching news easier and quicker, as just a touch of the app symbol takes you straight to the site.
It gives me all that I could possibly want from it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 16, 2014 2:38 AM BST

Berghaus Remote Backpack - Black/Coal, 25 lt
Berghaus Remote Backpack - Black/Coal, 25 lt

5.0 out of 5 stars Really great quality day backpack., 12 April 2014
I purchased this backpack for £23 on Amazon long term offer & now note that it has gone up to £33. Although the price I paid was a ridiculous bargain, I believe buyers will feel that it is also well worth 30 odd quid too.
The bag has one large inner compartment, flanked front and rear of the inside of the bag with 2 inner mesh type compartments and one additional zippered inner pocket. There are all the compartments you need without it being over the top. On the outside there is one quite large zipped compartment, with 2 mesh compartments at either side. Some reviews state that the side mesh compartments meant for a water bottle are no good in this application.
I do believe this, although can live without a specific water bottle compartment on the bag.
The way in which the bag secures to the body I find exceptionally comfortable. It is supposed to have an anti back-sweat function which many people state does not work, although I find that this bag does reduce the sweating effect when compared with my old Eurohike bag of similar size. The feeling that I have it on at all is often absent, which I believe is a credit to Berghaus considering all the stuff I carry in it.
The strapping system (there is an upper chest and abdo strap that increase the bags solidity and security) is optional to use in addition to the standard shoulder straps. With them secured the bag feels totally secure no matter how you are throwing yourself around. They are not totally necessary in hiking mode, although would make it a much more comfortable & secure experience if orienteering or moving quickly over uneven terrain.
The shoulder straps are well padded and very comfortable indeed and the left strap even has a stretchy mesh pocket which fits my Samsung Galaxy phone perfectly. I now no longer have that frantic struggle to get my bag off & scrabble around inside it before a phone caller terminates.
I would say that in terms of balance (when fully laden), this is also the best day bag I have ever had. It does fit extremely close to the body, which reduces its effect on the individuals natural balance.
The build quality and materials are excellent throughout, and to date it has not leaked even in moderate persistent rain.
I am completely chuffed with it & recommend it unreservedly
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 29, 2014 8:49 PM GMT

Dylon Wash & Dye Black Machine Dye Fabric Large 350G
Dylon Wash & Dye Black Machine Dye Fabric Large 350G
Offered by BargainShop_London

5.0 out of 5 stars A PURE WHITE heavyweight cotton jumper/hoodie (1kg) now jet black DESPITE being TWICE the maximum weight recommended for this..., 18 Mar. 2014
I agonised over this product & decided to give it a spin (ha-ha) as I was too tight to shell out a tenner for 2 packs of the 200g Dylon Machine Dye at over a fiver a go...
There is actually a Dylon helpline & the woman there had stated that as my cotton jumper was 2lbs/1kg in weight, she could not guarantee a good black finish with this product, which only promises a good black finish if an item or items weigh 500grams (1lb) or less... She instead suggested using 2 packs at once of the other machine wash product, as the wash and dye product I am reviewing here cannot simply be doubled up (ie; using 2 packs for 1 wash weighing above the recommended fabric weight).
I must admit to being completely stumped as to the reason fror this, but think that it must have something to do with the chemistry of the product...
I decided to try it anyway, as had my jumper ended up being grey or purple, then I would still feel happier wearing it than a day-glo white...!
The result is totally fantastic, and it says a lot about the integrity of Dylon in that they are obviously so careful not to overstate the limitations of this product.
I challenged it way beyond its claimed ability & the product still delivered 100%.

Notes...
1) The black dye does slosh around a lot in the washer... Because of this I would suggest that those reviews stating dye marks on their clothes long afterwards may well have come about due to the inner upper door area & seal (which never circulates underwater) not being adequately cleaned after dyeing... If you think about it, a circulating wash doesnt really ever slosh that high in the machine, and so Id bet that marks are caused by occasional clothes contact with existing dye well above the sloshing water level. Just a theory...
What I did to overcome this possibility was doing a couple of wash cycles with the suggested cupful of bleach. I also hedged my bets by also adding loads more water via the powder drawer (so that the dry wash runs really sloshed the water/bleach mixture everywhere inside the machine). It would seem sensible to think that no dye can survive the extra water and bleaching effect & its certainly proved true in my case (no marks whatsoever on any clothes since).
2) My jumper was marked 100% cotton, although the stitching clearly was not & remained white (polyester probably)... The highlighting left over by it does actually look great as concerns my item, although you might well want to consider this for anything you are planning to dye... Also any zippers may be attached by a polyester material that will also not change colour. Polyester cotton seems to look more shiny than pure cotton darn.
Lettering & design patterns also seem often treated to resist dyes (even if it appears the same material as the rest of the item). I think they must have sprayed the letters on mine with a chemical before dyeing to create a contrast when finished).
Luckily the lettering that has remained intact on my dyed jumper looks good anyway.

In short, a fantastic product that it is difficult to go wrong with even when big liberties are take as concerns the instructions (at least in my experience).
There are limitations as concerns what the dye will actually infiltrate, though...
"100% Cotton" might not be as accurate a description as it claims, as I found out (although mine still looks great anyway)...
All worth considering.

PS: Velvet Black only available at Home Bargains for £2.99...

New 12 Pair Pack Mens Official SIMPSONS Cartoon Character Cotton Rich Short Mid Calf Length Socks. To Fit UK sizes 6-11
Offered by Mailboxsocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuine Simpsons Socks for £1-13 per pair., 2 Mar. 2014
Stop looking if these are under £14 for the 12 pairs. There are no cheaper anywhere else, and they are (of course it being Amazon) genuine hard-wearing Simpson merchandise.
I have been purchasing them for years as they are as good quality, and fun to boot (pun intended).
They do take years to wear out (which I can vouch for as they have always been my work socks of choice & Im on my feet with these for 12 hours a day).
They are a very comfortable sock and will last for a very long time indeed.

Soundfly AUX OUT MP3 Player Car Fm Transmitter for SD Card, USB Stick, Mp3 Players (iPod, Zune)

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Great, but Overpriced When Considering it's Half This price for Amazon's US Customers., 2 Mar. 2014
The Good:

1) Fabulous sound through your car radio. No distortion. As good as CD.
Radio one (for example) sounds pretty rough on most car systems, but for some reason music played via this unit sounds far, far better.
This was a nice surprise.
2) I have yet to come across any distortion, interference or cutting in to other car owners wavelengths who are using similar technology.
3) Reasonably well built, but not invulnerable by a long chalk. I doubt it would survive dropping or any other significant trauma. The power electrode that sits in the socket does so very tightly... Just be sure to remove it by gripping at its base, not from the main unit.
At £46 you might want to be careful with it.
4) Tracks can be changed without taking your eyes from the road whilst driving (inbetween gear changes, that is). Its one long press on the directional buttons to move through the album list (forwards or backwards), and one quick press on the same keys to go through the individual album tracks.
5) When turning off, it does generally restart from the point it was turned off or unplugged. There is also a button that can be pressed that accurately bookmarks any given point (so if you're into a particular album, you will always restart from there). It is just as easy to remove this bookmark or reset it (great for audio books as you progress through them).
6) The system does send track info to your stereo, which even works on my old-school system. Very helpful in identifying the music you are listening to if you have newish stuff.
7) The system is capable of reading a massive 32 gig of SD card data (that's around 300 full albums). Just make sure you get a reputable card that really does have the available space that is claimed. Even Amazon sells the cheap & nasty ones... Expect to pay upwards of £12 for 32 gig, and DO check the reviews.
THIS ITEM CANNOT RECOGNISE MORE THAN 32 GIG OF MEMORY, SO DON'T WASTE MONEY ON A BIGGER CARD THAN THAT!
8) Your tablet or Kindle Fire can be connected via the double ended stereo jack included. I hang my kindle along the seam of its opened case on my dash via a looped shoelace. That way I have a largeish (easy to operate) display touch-sensitive screen MP3 player (which can also play video sending sound to the cars superior stereo system). This is great for holidays or long journeys, but obviously a faff for nipping to Tesco's.
Obviously watching a video isnt advisable whilst driving, officer!
For those interested in this, a cigarette socket USB charger of 2 amp rating or above will keep your tablet charged. You would also need a 2 to 1 cigarrete socket adaptor cable... (under a fiver all told & delivered via Flea Bay ).

THE BAD:

1) The remote only works when pointed directly at the unit. Good for passengers, a waste of time for the driver (and the buttons are tiny). Mines relegated (very possibly permanently) to the glove box.
2) It might have been better as a dash mountable option (with a flexible wire to the cigarette plug), then the buttons could be pressed with the aid of vision as well as feel). Looking down at it whilst driving does feel dangerous.
As stated above (though) it is easy to operate after a bit of practice purely by feel. Those with automatic transmission will clearly find it easier to operate than those having to constantly change gear.
It could easily be relocated to somewher a bit more convenient with a 12v extension cord & a bit of thought.
3) As stated in the title, this is only $40 delivery free on Amazon.com if your lucky enough to be living in the US (thats £24). You can get as far as the Amazon US checkout, but then it will not deliver outside of America
I have no doubt that this is due to main distribution being in the US, but it is still a pretty hard pill to swallow for UK customers... The dilemma is that this is far and away the best system available unless silly money is considered, and so if you want one in the UK you will pay dearly for it.
At the time of writing you will not find it elsewhere in the UK for significantly less delivered. You can purchase it directly from Satechi by paying dollars on a Visa/Mastercard conversion & save around £10 on the Amazon UK price delivered... I would however advise you to be careful as concerns this, as the Satechi returns conditions are a bit sticky (the no hassle Amazon returns protocol is probably worth the extra tenner).

It is a great little gadget & had it been the same cost as freely available to Amazon's US clientel, I would have given it 5 stars and not 4.
All cheaper systems of this type have very mixed reviews, with too many people stating problems and failure issues for my liking. In my experience, there is usually no smoke without a fire & that is why I took the (rather expensive) plunge.
Amazon really needs to remediate the massive & unfair difference between its UK & US pricing for this item... Bulk shipping (it is a popular item) cannot possibly justify double the price per single unit.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 31, 2014 4:45 PM BST

Regatta Mens Work Walking Water Repellent Cargo J170 Action Trousers II, Black
Regatta Mens Work Walking Water Repellent Cargo J170 Action Trousers II, Black

My title says it all really.
I spent ages agonising over pricey Craghopper trousers before I came across these at half the price.
These are fabulously well made & look as good as the Craghoppers too.
There are loads of strong pockets, three of which are zipped. This really suits me as I use them for circular walks away from home & need somewhere safe & secure for my car keys. The material, zips and seam construction are superb quality.
The pockets are pretty unobtrusive & unless you stuff them with kit, you wouldn't know they were all there.
The waist is elasticated, but does have belt hooks should you need them.
They do tend to resist drizzle quite well initially, but do of course eventually succumb if out in the wet stuff all day. To this end, they are light enough for it not to spoil your day even when they are very set indeed. They also dry out completely within an hour or two of the rain stopping walking even when the sun doesn't emerge.
Mud also washes out of them easily.... Just give them a cold water rinse in the sink prior to chucking in the washing machine.
I just cannot criticise them at any level.

NB: These can be purchased for as little as a tennner looking at another famous (4 letter word) site.

Regatta Mens Work Walking Water Repellent Cargo J170 Action Trousers II, Grey