Profile for steelo > Reviews

Something to Tell You
Something to Tell You
by Hanif Kureishi

3.0 out of 5 stars A different Kureishi, 27 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Something to Tell You (Hardcover)
having loved the Buddha of Suburbia by the same author, I was curious to see what he had to tell me in this book....but after barely managing to read I have to say that his attempt at writing about something other than the hybrid identity of Indian/Pakistani individuals in England has led to a flop in my eyes.

Sure, if I hadn't read his first book I would have been less harsh in my criticism, and my expectations would have been lower, but his characters, especially that of the narrator's sister, Miriam, are just so unbelievable and so farfetched in their decadence that I found it hard even to laugh at several parts in which his observations were definitely accurate and to the point.

The idea of a psychoanalyst talking about his secrets is compelling, but for some reason the book felt like Hanif Kuerishi was trying to play a part he always wanted, but didn't fit in.

Li-Ion Battery Pack for Panasonic VW-VBX070 / Compatible for Panasonic Video Camera HX-DC1, HX-DC10, HX-DC15, HX-WA10, HM-TA20, HM-TA2 / Two Years Warranty

5.0 out of 5 stars Good spare battery for my Panasonic camera, 26 Jan. 2012
I've recently bought a Panasonic Video Camera, the HX-DC1 model, and I use it mostly for filming events (parties, mostly) and I almost ran out of battery for one of them which made me consider buying an extra battery for the camera.
However, the original from the Panasonic store costs over 40 pounds on amazon and I really needed a cheaper replacement.

The most reasonably priced one was this one, and it also comes with a two year warranty, which I find is a definite plus, because it speaks for its reliability.

I've already used it and it works perfectly with the camera, looks identical to the original battery, and lasts just as long.

I give it a 5 out of 5 and will be sure to return with feedback if anything goes amiss.

The Grass Is Singing
The Grass Is Singing
by Doris Lessing

5.0 out of 5 stars Her first novel, yet such a gem!, 25 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The Grass Is Singing (Paperback)
I chanced upon this books a while back and since I had heard of Doris Lessing because of her Nobel prize, I thought I would start knowing her through her first novel.

This is a wonderfully insightful book, showing how Lessing is a fine observer not only of racial problems but of human relations in general and the situation of white female colonists in an unwelcoming Southern Rhodesia in the 40s.

The main character is Mary Turner, a single woman who lives in one of Rhodesia's cities and then ends up marrying a farmer, Dick Turner, and moving with him to his farm.

She does not fit well in that scenery, she does not feel at ease in the relationship either, because she had married mostly because she had heard gossip about her being a spinster.
the book is a tragic one and the heroine's fate is one of depression, alienation and ultimately, death, but the value of this book resides not in its upbeat, easy to ingest nature (because it is none of those). The book is valuable because it allows you to expand your own horizons if feelings, empathizing with the heroine and with her husband, Dick as well.

It is a novel of colonialism, of the people who left their roots to look for fortune and who seldom managed to fulfill their dreams, it is a novel about those people's children, equally out of place.

One reviewer gave it a very low rating because she said the title had nothing to do with the book. I think that shows her lack of imagination. She said that nothing was singing in the book.

Singing, I must tell that person, is not necessarily cheerful. Also, the grass was singing, Mary's only moments of relief and of peace where when she listened to the veld of South Africa and felt a connection with nature.

Portnoy's Complaint
Portnoy's Complaint
by Philip Roth

5.0 out of 5 stars Truthful, a confession without any censorship, 25 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Portnoy's Complaint (Paperback)
So you start reading it and all of a sudden you understand that Portnoy is actually complaining to you, nothing official about it, no hidden meaning. It is a book of ranting from cover to cover, of insight into the main character's personal life, his hidden fears, paranoia, his relationship with his mother, all this emphasizing the image of the troubled Jewish American male that you can find in Woody Allen's films and books as well as in Larry David's style.

You come to realize that you are in the role of the psychoanalyst and that you are the silent listener to his complaint.

From his relationship failures to his family life, the book, written a couple of decades ago, is valid for anybody's frustrations and fears, and I consider it a bold exercise in removing all forms of censorship and just showing yourself in all your weaknesses.

At times very funny, when you imagine the situations the character describes with despair, the book is a revelation of Roth's versatility. Having read other novels by him, this one really stands out!

Officially licensed Spongebob Sunglasses Case - Happy as a Clam
Officially licensed Spongebob Sunglasses Case - Happy as a Clam
Offered by Time for Mum Shopping

5.0 out of 5 stars How to take yourself seriously when buying a case!, 24 Jan. 2012
ha! So this is one of the best cases for my glasses I have ever had.

Also,it is funny that I usually come across as a very serious guy, but now whenever someone sees me taking out my spongebob squarepants case and putting my intellectual and serious glasses in it they burst out laughing.

And it gets me to lighten up too!

Also, it is a good case, despite its childish design: it is resistant and long enough for my glasses, it shuts well and doesn't come open when you least expect it, letting your glasses fall out.

I got it as a gift from my older sister and I'm very happy with it!

Derwent Sketching Graphite Pencils Tin with Sharpener (Set of 6)
Derwent Sketching Graphite Pencils Tin with Sharpener (Set of 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality and cheaper than in shops, 24 Jan. 2012
This is a set of 6 pencils for sketching, all of them black, with a sharpener included.
The pencils have varied levels of softness so you can work with them and experiment with the shades and intensities.

Ins hops it costs twice as much, or at least where I saw them.

Also, Derwent is a brand name for quality drawing utensils and I love all the material I have from them so far.

Large Black Flight Messenger Briefcase Bag with Organiser under flap - Holds A4 and Arch Lever Files

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy and resistant!, 20 Jan. 2012
Great material on this bag: it's sturdy enough to hold all my books and pens, the shoulder strap is very useful as I usually like carrying bags on my shoulder rather than holding them by their handles.

The compartments give you plenty of room to organize your stuff inside and know exactly where to look for it, the flap stays put with the plastic clips.

The description provided by amazon is an accurate one and much appreciated!

I'm making good use of the purchase and recommend it!

Rockoff Trade Men's Sesame Street Monster Face Crew Neck Short Sleeve T-Shirt
Rockoff Trade Men's Sesame Street Monster Face Crew Neck Short Sleeve T-Shirt

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny design, always an icebreaker, 20 Jan. 2012
I love this shirt because it really speaks about the wearer: you know that anyone wearing a huge image of the Cookie Monster can't be uptight and mean-spirited!

The fabric is pleasant and the print is clear and vivid. The only down side to it is that I can't iron it, so I usually just leave it to dry by hanging it straight so it doesn't make wrinkles and that normally works.

The size for me was good, I'm a medium and I managed to fit into it perfectly, nothing too loose.

Fenix LD 40 / the pioneering Outdoor Flashlight with max 248 Lumens
Fenix LD 40 / the pioneering Outdoor Flashlight with max 248 Lumens

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable and really bright, 19 Jan. 2012
This is a great investment if you love hiking outdoors even during nighttime.
I ordered it this summer and it was delivered within less than a week, and I have been using it mostly outdoors, set on high, which means 335 Lumen, and it does last up to 7 hours, as described. I sometimes vary with the lower, 108 lumen setting (the mid setting), and it still gives you a steady and powerful beam of light.

Unluckily enough I managed to drop it at one point, even though I was not aiming at testing its durability this way, but ...the lucky thing is that it didn't break, the led was intact and nothing shattered. It is still as good as new.

I recommend it, since it is easy to use, can be loaded with AA batteries (I recommend rechargeable ones, to spare you the expenses) and it is a reliable source of light.

For Esmé - with Love and Squalor: And Other Stories
For Esmé - with Love and Squalor: And Other Stories
by J. D. Salinger

5.0 out of 5 stars Salinger at his best, 19 Jan. 2012
I started my encounter with Salinger as most people do, through his Catcher in the rye, and I liked it, but I wasn't crazy about it. It was innovative compared to the censored and proper books which were also in the curriculum, and the story was one I could identify with, but it was only later, when I picked up his short stories, that I really developed a passion for his style.

The collection of stories entitled From Esme with love and squalor contains nine short stories including A perfect day for bananafish, and the story which gives the collection its title (in the States, the 9 stories are suggestively called "Nine stories".

The recurring themes are humanity's loss of innocence and how children manage to bring us back to that purity of mind, relationships and their evolutions, nostalgia and war.

Salinger is a master of the short story, managing to capture the essence of our thoughts and feelings in the tightest frame of action, with even a limited number of characters.

While his stories are often heartbreaking, the beauty with which Salinger writes gives you hope that other people are as aware as he was of the fading innocence of the world.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7