Profile for steelo > Reviews

Content by steelo

steelo

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Delux Macy the Monkey Wool Pilot Animal Cap/Hat with Ear Flaps and Poms - Limited Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars hilarious hat. perfect icebreaker, 26 Mar 2012
Perhaps this ha doesn't make me look like an intellectual. I'll give you that.

However, it surely speaks a message about the wearer: I'm not afraid to go a bit over the top and I don't take myself so seriously.

I've tested it out on several occasions and it really acts like a magnet for sunny and fun, open-minded individuals. Also, between you and me...it's a real charmer for the ladies.
nothing spells "Fun guy" quite like a monkey cap!

The material is pleasant and not at all itch-inducing, and the price is affordable.
What's more, it is actually quite warm if you need it in winter, and the flaps cover your ears as well.

Go ahead, have some fun, loosen up! Buy a monkey hat!

On the Road (Penguin Modern Classics)
On the Road (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Jack Kerouac
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Drifting through America, 26 Mar 2012
There are a lot of mixed feelings about this book, as far as I can see...and it is no wonder: it is proof of a very imaginative and non-conformist mind, breaking the stereotypes about how a novel should be written.

Kerouac's style is mesmerizing, from my point of view, because there is a sort of naturalness to it that makes it believable. he rushes through the book as in a trance, in the same rhythm and chaotic fashion of his road trip across America.

It is a very good sensor of the moods and vibes of various parts of America, with its internal discrepancies.

The book is highly autobiographic, and the main character, Sal Paradise is another version of Kerouac, while his friend in the novel, dean Moriarty, is inspired from his real companion and inspiration, Neal Cassady.
The novel is full of stories of fleeting romances, drugs, the changes in mid-century America and the effervescence of those crazy years.

A great example of spontaneous literature and Beat generation prose, On the Road is a literary experience worth having!

Naked Lunch: The Restored Text
Naked Lunch: The Restored Text
by William Burroughs
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Naked Lunch, the blur of a book I still recommend, 13 Mar 2012
This is the kind of book that nobody reads for the plot, because, frankly, there is no plot to speak of, aside from Bill Lee's journey into his own sick and twisted subconscious. And it's all inspired by Burroughs's travels in Tangier. Note to self: avoid Tangier.
But all jokes aside, this is a mind-blowing book, but hard to read nonetheless. Nothing makes sense, but in a strange way you can feel that the author wrote all this nonsense with every bit of conviction in his body. It's mesmerizing, that's what it is.
Like another reviewer here stated, it's best to read bits of Naked Lunch before bedtime, preferably a chapter at a time. There's nothing to lose because there's nothing you remember the day after anyway! Certain episodes spring to mind, like the man whose ass began to talk Jim Carrey style, taking over his whole body in the most disgusting way possible, but other than that, it's all a blur. I think Burroughs actually succeeded in cleaning my brain of all the toxins, by pouring a ton of metaphorical acid on it. A bit of gamble, I'm sure, but my fried brain is thankful for the experience.

Hideous Kinky
Hideous Kinky
by Esther Freud
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Esther Freud, growing up, 13 Mar 2012
This review is from: Hideous Kinky (Paperback)
This little book is about growing up with a hippie mother who feels as though her life is incomplete, and therefore must travel to one of the most cliché religious destination in the world (Marrakech), ruining her daughter's childhood in the process. It's a sad experience if viewed through an objective point of view, but to her daughter, young Esther Freud, it's more like changing schools; the narration is simple and straight-forward, as though the author is reliving those scenes through a child's point of view. Dubious events, like the strange men that keep appearing to accompany her mother, are never questioned, and everything is like a game to her. It's quite an unorthodox point of view, but it teaches us to take everything that's happening to us and see it in a different light; it's a more innocent and happy-go-lucky point of view, yes, but one that ultimately leads to bliss.
Highly recommended book!

FOTL - Mens T-Shirt Heavy Cotton Plain Yellow Size X-Large XL
FOTL - Mens T-Shirt Heavy Cotton Plain Yellow Size X-Large XL
Offered by TEAM SOUTH WEST Ltd.
Price: 2.75

5.0 out of 5 stars My comfy T-shirt, 12 Mar 2012
This is now my favorite T-shirt. Whenever I wear it, I always receive praise and a pat on the back from my friends, though it could be the fact that the color attracts a lot of flies and mosquitoes (I got the yellow one). I consider it my good luck charm, despite needing itching powder from now on.

Kidding aside, I feel pretty comfy in this shirt. Because of the cotton, it lets my body breath, and it's great for a jog in the swamp on a sunny day. Cleaning it is easy too, since the color remains the same even after the harshest scrubbing.
Buy a ton of them, you won't regret it!

WEISS Camera Replacement Battery Li-lon like NB-5L for Canon IXUS 90 IS / 800 IS / 850 IS / 900 Ti / 950 IS / PowerShot SD 700 IS and Others

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to have as a back-up, 8 Mar 2012
This is a great fall-back plan for an NB-5L battery! I purchased this because it was a cheaper alternative to the original and it also had a 2 year warranty included, so the odds were it was a good quality product. It has proven itself to be that until now: I use it for my Canon Powershot SD800 IS, and it matches the camera to the last detail, also being identical in its design to my original battery.
I use it as a back-up, so whenever the original battery runs out, I have this one already charged and ready to use. Up until now I can say that it has never overheated and given me any worries about causing damage to the camera, it charges with the same charger as the Canon NB-5L battery and it lasts me just as long as the original does.

I recommend it to whoever is interested and am open to questions about it.

Rubie's V For Vendetta Costume Kit Fancy Dress (Standard)
Rubie's V For Vendetta Costume Kit Fancy Dress (Standard)
Price: 35.97

3.0 out of 5 stars A real V, 7 Mar 2012
Want to wear something challenging for Halloween? Fancy being part of a gunpowder plot? Then this costume was made especially for you! Complete with Guy Fawkes mask, a black cape, the stylish hat and the belt buckle with four daggers! It sounds promising, right? Well...
It's pretty uncomfortable in the long run. I can't speak through the mask that easily, and I always have to take it off whenever I go dressed as V at a party. It ruins the whole idea. All in all, it is an impressive kit, but if you have issues with rough clothing items, you might just want to buy the cape and hat and save the money.

High Fidelity [DVD] [2000]
High Fidelity [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ John Cusack
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 3.42

5.0 out of 5 stars High Fidelity is high quality, 7 Mar 2012
This review is from: High Fidelity [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
I simply adore this movie. Not because the main character played by John Cusack is in any way charming; he's not. Rob Gordon may be one of the most obnoxious music snobs ever to grace the big screen. His coworkers at the music store, played brilliantly by Jack Black and Todd Luiso, may be more annoying, but Rob takes the cake in the relationship department. In the movie, he tracks down his Top 5 Worst Break-Ups to get some peace of mind, but ends up discovering a lot more about himself in the process.
Being a movie about music, "High Fidelity" boasts an amazing soundtrack of indie artists, plus a cameo by Bruce Springsteen himself. It's the kind of movie that hipsters have been waiting for their whole life, only to see their miserable selves reflected in that mirror. It pulls a lot of punches, and ends up being painfully funny.

My Legendary Girlfriend
My Legendary Girlfriend
by Mike Gayle
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun read, brings back memories, 31 Jan 2012
I have to admit that I found very much of myself in Mike Gayle's main character from "My Legendary Girlfriend".

It really poked fun at how hard it is to forget someone you were really in love with, how one tends to compare the past experiences with current ones, never letting the present shine in its full potential, and how normal individuals, with ups and downs, become "legendary' just because we are no longer with them.

It's a light read, full of humour and very pertinent observations about being a male in your late twenties, being single and at times miserable...

Also a nice read by him is Mr Commitment. I look forward to trying others by him!

A Long Way Down
A Long Way Down
by Nick Hornby

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy read about real problems and the power of friendship, 31 Jan 2012
This review is from: A Long Way Down (Paperback)
I read this book several years ago, but I was very fond of it because it spoke very openly about depressed individuals and how they get out of heir states.

The book is about a somewhat farfetched situation in which 4 very different individuals from different backgrounds meet on a roof top because they want to jump off it. They end up not jumping, mostly as a result of their conversations there and the fact that they become friends.

It's not some literary gem, I am well aware of that, but the characters are believable and the lesson is a valuable one: when you feel you belong in a group you are less likely to be depressed, because we all need to rely on others and to feel that others rely on us.

I recommend this novel as a light read with a lot of insight, and a very positive message.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7