Profile for Kathryn > Reviews

Content by Kathryn

Kathryn (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Touchy-Feely Diggers (Usborne Touchy Feely Books)
Touchy-Feely Diggers (Usborne Touchy Feely Books)
by Fiona Watt
Edition: Board book

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, 27 Nov. 2014
I bought this book for my 18 month old son who is crazy about anything with wheels. £9.99 seemed a bit steep, but due to the good reviews I thought I'd get it, expecting the price to be reflected in something larger than what I received. It's not much bigger than the 'That's not my' books, there are a couple of textures on each page so not an awful lot of interest either. In my opinion, this kind of price demands a larger format with extras like flaps, such as the Touchy Feely Hide and Seek Dragons Usborne book, which is brilliant, as are the Animals and Baby Animals books of the same type - I guess as we had these for the same price I was expecting this book to be on a par. Definitely not worth the money and I would send it back if I didn't have to pay nearly £3 to do so. Disappointed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 5, 2015 12:51 AM GMT

Black & Decker NW4860N Wet & Dry Dustbuster Handheld Vacuum - 4.8 Volt
Black & Decker NW4860N Wet & Dry Dustbuster Handheld Vacuum - 4.8 Volt
Offered by BestBuyUk

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 21 Jan. 2013
After reading lots of reviews for different hand vacs, we went for this one. Well what a waste of money - the suction is just terrible - it would be quicker picking each bit of stuff up by hand. It makes no difference what we're trying to hoover up - even light bits of fluff are left behind totally unmoved. What a disappointment.

Mini Street Cruz II Tri-Scooter (Black/Red)
Mini Street Cruz II Tri-Scooter (Black/Red)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great scooter, 3 Mar. 2012
We bought this for our 2.5 yr old son for Christmas, after he got too big for his scuttlebug, which he absolutely LOVED! A scooter was the obvious next thing for him to try, so after looking at the various reviews and massively ranging prices, we decided to go for this middle-of-the-range (price-wise) scooter. It took him a little while to get used to (as you'd expect with anything new) - especially how to turn it without getting off - but after just 3 outings he is now the speed-demon he was on the scuttlebug. I'm so glad we went with another Mookie product, and I know this will last a few years. The base is nice and wide and the 3 wheels add great stability. I only marked it down one star because it would be great if it had adjustable height handle that would also fold flat for transportation/storage, but otherwise delighted!

Mookie Scuttlebug Beetle Trike (Red/Black)
Mookie Scuttlebug Beetle Trike (Red/Black)
Offered by The Entertainer

5.0 out of 5 stars Our son's favourite toy, 5 Sept. 2011
My mother-in-law bought this for my son as a Christmas present when he was 18 months old. He quickly got to grips with how to use it and absolutely astonished us all at the speed at which he could travel around the ground floor of our house (it helps that it is tiled and relatively open plan).

While he travels at some speed, it is incredibly sturdy in that it can't topple over very easily, so we much prefer this to a scooter or bike. My son had no problems turning corners or stopping, and I can't remember him actually falling off.

A year later, his legs are getting a bit long for it, but he still loves it. If we go for walks and camping/holidays it comes with us as it is light weight and folds down to nothing - flattish paths are best as it's harder work over grass. He loves the freedom and the speed, we love the safety and that it wears him out! We've certainly got our money's worth!

Great design, great value, I have and would recommend to everyone.

We just need a next size up now for 3-5 years olds! Come on Mookie!

Catch-22
Catch-22
by Joseph Heller

1.0 out of 5 stars A unique book, but not for me, 28 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Catch-22 (Paperback)
A few friends and colleagues had recommended this book to me and as it is one of the Classics of our times, I was eager to read it. On a positive note, it is a completely different style to anything I have read before, and I have read hundreds of books - both contemporary and Classics, as well as various genres.

However, I found the book very hard-going, with a confusing style and incredibly difficult to get into. I stopped reading half way through - perhaps satire isn't my style of humour (although I love Monty Python...), so I would suggest going to a book shop and read the first few pages before purchasing.

I don't understand the appeal at the moment, but everyone is different and I respect that, just as I hope people will respect that I don't like this book. A lot of people who have given it one-star have been patronised and criticised by other reviewers, which is a real shame. The purpose of these reviews is to give your personal opinion, not to be judged yourself and effectively bullied. It's a shame when people stoop to that.

In any case, it IS intriguing that so many people love it, so I will try re-reading Catch 22 in a few years.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 14, 2014 11:03 PM GMT

Postman Pat 20cm Plastic Coated Mini Tote Bag
Postman Pat 20cm Plastic Coated Mini Tote Bag

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made, sturdy and fun, 9 Aug. 2011
This is a very cute, colourful and sturdy little bag. My 2-year old son loves everything Postman Pat and did a little dance when he was given this! He now uses it every day when he plays with his kitchen, filling it with 'vegetables' from the 'shop', a book or two when he goes for a walk, or to keep his snuggle blanket in. Great value for money. Big thumbs up from us!

500 Family Campsites (AA Mini Guides)
500 Family Campsites (AA Mini Guides)
by AA Publishing

3.0 out of 5 stars Too basic to be really useful, 9 Aug. 2011
I loved the idea of a mini guide, as the normal size can be bulky. However, it contains no photos and very basic information, so doesn't give you a very good sense of the campsites. This has been consigned to the shelf as I had to revert back to the normal guides and internet. Waste of money really - you're better off shelling out a few more pounds.

Thomas & Friends (Pocket Library)
Thomas & Friends (Pocket Library)
by W. Awdry
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, great for car journeys, 9 Aug. 2011
This is a great, sturdy little set. I had expected them to be small (hence the 'Pocket Library' title) and hoped that the stories wouldn't be too watered down. For me, they weren't - they can be used as individual story books, but also fantastic for keeping in your changing bag or in the car for emergencies. Each of the 6 books also form part a jigsaw/picture of Thomas, which was a surprising added bonus. Great little purchase.

Fidgety Fish and Friends- Little Library: "Tickly Octopus", "Smiley Shark", "Fidgety Fish", "Clickety Crab" (Mini Libraries)
by Ruth Galloway

1.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment - they're not the full books, 5 Aug. 2011
Really disappointed with the books. I was so thrilled when I saw this set and it looked amazing value. While I know they are smaller versions of the books, there is nothing in the description to tell you that they are NOT smaller versions - only small books with the same title, covers, and similar illustrations. However, they only have one sentence per double-page, which don't even tell a story, nor rhyme or have any rhythm. My 2-year old got bored within minutes. If I'd bought these at full price I would have been incredibly annoyed.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Book 1)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Book 1)
by Stieg Larsson

3.0 out of 5 stars A lot of hype over a pretty average book, 5 Aug. 2011
My friend lent me her copy of this book to read, as I am am avid reader and keen to understand the hype. I eagerly anticipated the gripping read they promised me but I'm afraid my patience was greatly tested - it really is a book of two halves. The first half is so pedestrian, dull and over-detailed, that I wondered what all the fuss was about. Then, at about page 300 it suddenly kicks into life. I honestly think you could start there and not really miss too much. The second half was the page-turner I had hoped for, so I am glad I persevered. I will read the next one now and hope it keeps the pace Larsson has finally set.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3