Profile for H KATER > Reviews

Content by H KATER

H KATER

On Either Side - the East Coast Main Line: A guide for the rail traveller on the East Coast main Line between London and Edinburgh: Volume 2
by Mr David Dunning

5.0 out of 5 stars A fair book, as advertised, 4 Sept. 2015
Not being from England, but having lived their once, it was what I was after - a description of the places you pass on the route, and some interesting views on the area and its history. I am a history buff, and have a soft spot for any book that describes local history. Thank you to the author for his efforts. I have only just begun having an interest in railways, but I must say that people who love trains are an interesting bunch, with something to say and write about.

Memento [2000] [DVD]
Memento [2000] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Guy Pearce

1.0 out of 5 stars Bin job, 14 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Memento [2000] [DVD] (DVD)
Terrible movie. The "hero" of the story is a guy who's only reason for living is to revenge his wife's murder. If that is really your reason for living, you may as well be dead. Stupid, dark and depressing story. Totally implausible. No memory = inability to function. A guy who really has no memory would be unable to function, let alone track down a killer. The irony is you need a better than average memory to follow this convoluted story. My memory was not superior enough to handle this one. There is a reason that nobody has run a story backwards - it doesn't work. In two words, ridiculous, and depressing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2015 11:51 AM GMT

In The Loop [DVD]
In The Loop [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tom Hollander
Offered by streetsahead

1.0 out of 5 stars Vulgar rubbish, 20 May 2015
This review is from: In The Loop [DVD] (DVD)
Horrible and vulgar with endless profanities. It is a sad record of how low our society has become. The swearing isn't even any good. I knew people in the army once, and the lead character is an amateur when it comes to swearing.

The Forgotten Soldier: War on the Russian Front - A True Story
The Forgotten Soldier: War on the Russian Front - A True Story
by Guy Sajer

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best war book I have read, 14 Oct. 2013
I have been fortunate to have read some great war accounts, such as the Vietnam War book "Chicken Hawk" and Ernst Junger's 1st world war account "Storm of Steel", and I place this with the best of them. What these books have in common is the gut-wrenching honesty of their authors.

I read this book a few years ago, and was aware of the controversy when I read it, but for me there was one section that truly made me believe the author's account as he tells it. Although I have some very limited Army-Infantry-Rifleman experience (I wasn't the cook I mean!), and certainly have no combat experience or am qualified to speak about the things described by Sajer, I read a book a few years before this one, that impressed me very much as true, with its account of a little reported phenomenon. Apparently persons who are in mortal terror can have a metallic taste in their mouth, like iron filings. This author (not Sajer, though Sajer says as much as well) described it as a unique, unmistakeable and unforgettable taste known by persons at the point of death.

I had only read about this once before as it does not seem to be widely reported. When I came to the section in Sajer's book that describes the same thing - for me their were no doubts anymore. As stated above, I have only see it written twice in my life and personally believe it to be true. I cannot see why anyone would lie about such a small and seemingly insignificant thing, unless they experienced it. For me, that passage was significant.

Silent Running (Masters of Cinema) [Blu-ray] [1972]
Silent Running (Masters of Cinema) [Blu-ray] [1972]
Dvd ~ Bruce Dern
Offered by bestmediagroup

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor movie, waste of time and your money, 12 Oct. 2012
I think the only persons who could anything out of this movie would be children, but in my opinion that would be child abuse. Nothing good to say about this. Stupidly naive, lame plot. Even die-hard conservations, who you would be tempted to think might like this one, are more intelligent than this story line and deserve more than this.... Take the money out of your wallet and give it to the first person you meet on the street - it will be more rewarding.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 9, 2014 11:39 AM BST

Dark Star [Blu-ray] [1974]
Dark Star [Blu-ray] [1974]
Dvd ~ Brian Narelle

1.0 out of 5 stars Save yourself some money don't buy this rubbish, 12 Oct. 2012
I don't normally write reviews but in this case I felt it my public duty to tell people how bad this movie is, in case, like me you think this might be worth buying - it isn't. I reckon if I gave you 5 pounds, some lunch money, a cam corder and a weekend, you and your mates could produce a better movie. I only watched the first 30 minutes. Life is too short to spend it watching Dark Star.... If it was on free to air TV, I would change channels.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 4, 2013 11:15 AM BST