Profile for Catherine > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
The Pearl Locket
The Pearl Locket

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read., 10 July 2016
This review is from: The Pearl Locket (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book.

The Handfasters
The Handfasters

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful trip into the past., 10 July 2016
This review is from: The Handfasters (Kindle Edition)
I love the way this book is written. Well researched peek into Scottish history and a captivating story as well. Edinburgh is my favourite city and Helen Susan Swift has a way with words that makes the past spring alive. I was captivated by the poetic language as well as the story line set in 19th century. I will certainly be reading more by this author.

Nescafé Dolce Gusto Genio 2 Automatic Play and Select by De'Longhi EDG465.B - Piano Black

4.0 out of 5 stars confused with the instructions, 3 July 2016
the instructions are dreadful. I had to go on you tube to find out how to make a coffee. I still don't know how to make a latte. Seems like I have to use two pods to make a cappuccino, but it doesn't tell you that. Once you get the hang of it, it's really easy. The machine itself is fine for someone who lives alone like me.

Lost Girl
Lost Girl

4.0 out of 5 stars good story., 22 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Lost Girl (Kindle Edition)
This is the first book by McLaughlin I have read and I was not disappointed. The story is very good, fast moving, and something you do not want to put down. It has all the elements of a best seller. A girl, who might or might not have set fire to a nightclub, is in hiding and finds refuge with a homeless woman. We have a stalker, a sympathetic detective and some very dodgy characters, I would have given the story five stars were it not for fact that it does need editing.

Dark Water: An Anderson and Costello Thriller (An Anderson & Costello Mystery Series Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read., 29 May 2016
well written, good story. My first book by this auther, but not my last.

The Island
The Island

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy reading, 29 May 2016
This review is from: The Island (Kindle Edition)
Well written, something to touch the heart from the viewpoint of a young boy. Being born on an island myself, I loved this.

The Back Road
The Back Road

4.0 out of 5 stars unputable-downable, 29 May 2016
This review is from: The Back Road (Kindle Edition)
I felt there were too many characters and too much going on which confused me at times, otherwise I would have given it 5*. However, it is a page turner, and i have neglected my house and my garden because I had to know what happened next. I did not find it at all predictable. Thoroughly enjoyed the read. I shall remember the name of Rachel Abbott for the next time I want to read something unputable-downable.

Paper Fish
Paper Fish
by Kristin Joyce Stevenson

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful stories, 24 April 2016
This review is from: Paper Fish (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this collection of shorts. The evocative language carries the reader effortlessly from page to page to page. The characters are well rounded and the reader is immediately drawn into their lives.

Paper fish is a collection of well-written, evocative stories, that will stay with you long after you have finished reading them.

The Girl With No Name
The Girl With No Name

5.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable read, 24 April 2016
I almost gave up on buying books that reached the top ten in the kindle charts as I often find them disappointing, and don't understand how they got there. However I'm glad I bought this one. I loved it. Although it deals with a subject which could have been distressing, I found it easy and enjoyable. I certainly will read more books by this author.

The Stonegate Sword
The Stonegate Sword

5.0 out of 5 stars very enjoyable, 26 Mar. 2016
What would happen if modern civilization crumbles and the world that we know is cast back to surviving in a world similar to medieval times?
The Stonegate Sword is a mesmerising, thought-provoking and well-crafted read that I thoroughly enjoyed.
I was immediately struck by the beautiful poetic writing that flows from page to page. The phrase, ‘painting a picture with words,’ springs to mind. I could see the countryside, see the ‘spears with keen-edged points flashing in the hard afternoon sun’ as they sailed towards their targets. The descriptions of both the characters and the scenery drew me into a world of which I know nothing, the wonderful world of fantasy – or is it possibility?
I found this book to be a quite satisfying read and highly recommend it to all who enjoy action-adventure stories and tales of battle and war. The Stonegate Sword by Harry James is more than mere fantasy, it is a well written novel, a story of life which the author describes in such a way that you are living each moment with the main characters of the book, feeling their struggles, pain and other raw emotions which transverse the centuries.
My reading list is varied, but this is a new genre to me and I am very glad that such an excellent read is my introduction this category.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10