Profile for Rj Williams > Reviews

Noteastic Notepad
Noteastic Notepad
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great app, 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: Noteastic Notepad (App)
Handy app, does everything you need of a notebook. I regularly use it to write down new words I've learned from books I've been reading.

Badgerlands: The Twilight World of Britain's Most Enigmatic Animal
Badgerlands: The Twilight World of Britain's Most Enigmatic Animal
Price: 5.15

5.0 out of 5 stars A trip into badgerland, 23 Jan 2014
A really well written and thought provoking book about perhaps our most controversial animal. This book explores the past and present of our relationship with meles meles, from badger baiting, to examining our growing affection for the badger through an exploration of interpretations in literature, to contemporary issues of TB and farming. Oh and a culinary foray to be remembered.

How to be a Bad Birdwatcher: To the Greater Glory of Life
How to be a Bad Birdwatcher: To the Greater Glory of Life
Price: 5.39

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, even for birders with a bit of experience under their belt, 4 Jan 2014
A fantastic read, I read it in just a few sittings. Barnes has a great sense of humour, but there are also lots of insightful passages that help to explain the world of watching birds, and why we derive pleasure from it.

Gorilla Manor
Gorilla Manor
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 6.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Band - Go see live too, 22 Oct 2013
This review is from: Gorilla Manor (Audio CD)
Came across these guys for the first time live at Greenman Festival 2013. Gutted it's taken me a few years to get on to listening to this. It's very original, quirky writing, and I had bought the newer album first, but I think this one is my favorite of the two. Highly recommend.

Tomb Raider (Xbox 360)
Tomb Raider (Xbox 360)
Offered by Gameline GmbH.
Price: 10.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 19 April 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I grew up playing the old Tomb Raider games almost religiously back in the days of PS1. With a new re-imagining I was hoping for good things, and boy they were sure delivered. The game play is easy to get to grips with, and the clunky-ness of old school Lara is overhauled for something reminiscent of Uncharted or even the likes of the latest Resident Evil games, especially in the shanty town section. The in-game graphics are superb,and when I started playing I found myself just looking at the environments for ages because they're so detailed and imaginatively put together. The cut scenes are good, but even in-game sections take on a cinematic quality, and my girlfriend was quite happy just to sit and watch me play it so that says something!

The story line is quite good in my opinion, reminiscent of Lost in places in so far as it's about a mysterious island with various parallels which I won't go into here. As others have said some of the characters a little cliched, but hey, they're not as bad as in a lot of games, and probably a good measure deeper than the old-school TR games. It must have taken around 10 hours to play through all in all, which I think by today's standards is half decent. That said I went for a leisurely approach, took my time and explored, so it could easily be done quicker, but I still finished with 25% left to complete, so there will also be good replay value there hopefully.

I only have a few niggles. Firstly I played through on hard mode the first time, and it was still pretty easy. The combat system is very good, but if you've got a half way decent skill for head shots you'll blitz most encounters first time. Even if you don't, ammo is dealt out very sparingly even in hard mode so you can blast away with the more powerful weapons without having to conserve much at all.

Secondly, in going for a more action bound game, I sometimes think there is a bit of over kill in terms of all the hyperbolic action sections. They're amazing, but they could be filtered in slightly less frequently and it would make them all the more impressive. Also in going for a more action-bound game the puzzle elements of the originals are simply not there. Puzzles are very simple in this game, and with the exception of perhaps two or three, I instantly figured out how to complete them, and even the hardest did not pose much in the way of a cerebral challenge. However, for me that is no huge blot on the game, this is a re-imagining on the franchise after all. If there is a next time, a few more challenging puzzles would probably cap it all off nicely for me.

Taken on it's own merits, this is the best game I've played in a long time.

TP-Link TL-WN722NC 150Mbps High Gain Wireless USB Adapter
TP-Link TL-WN722NC 150Mbps High Gain Wireless USB Adapter
Price: 9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 10 Jan 2013
I hardly ever write Amazon reviews, but I have to let you all know what a gem this is. For the price it's unbelievable and it works really well. I recently moved house to an 'old-build' with thick walls, and the wireless signal was poor in every room except for the room with the router in. I bought a much more expensive Belkin model initially that gave me two bars at it's very best, and an internet speed reminiscent of old school dial-up. Youtube videos would takes ages to buffer before playing for example, and even then stop every five seconds to load some more. This one operates in an entirely different league, and I get 3 bars as standard, and occasionally four. The speeds are much much quicker. If your having similar troubles, I thoroughly recommend this little bit of kit. Five stars because of the sheer value for money.

Warhammer 40,000: Squad Command (Nintendo DS)
Warhammer 40,000: Squad Command (Nintendo DS)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I had hoped for..., 17 Feb 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Firstly I would just like to say I have always been a fan of the 40k universe but this is far from a biased review. I picked this game up expecting it to be an improved version of the old pc game, Chaos Gate. Squad Command is no where near as good.

Flaws:

-No camera angle options mean that it can be hard to take in the surroundings. (This leads to moments where your guys shoot walls you did not notice were in the way)
-Poor range of sound effects, and very limited rubbish unit speech.(Example, Marines shouting 'I'M MOVING', well duh..)
-Units do not gain experience like they did in Chaos Gate. Gone is the need to value your guys. Arming your given men is the only area where customization exists and this seems to be almost pointless because special tinkering is not at all needed to win missions.
-Character graphics are generally pretty shoddy, although vehicles and dreadnoughts look great.

All in all I can bear these flaws and just enjoy the game for what it is. The great price means that Squad Command is a nice little buy, and it's even fun to play in the most part. However, I imagine that once I have completed it there won't be much replay value.

Theres a good game in there somewhere, hopefully they'll get it right next time.