Profile for Ross Mackay > Reviews

Ross Mackay

Movies, Mister Griffith and Me
Movies, Mister Griffith and Me
by Lillian Gish

5.0 out of 5 stars "What you get is a living, what you give is life", 19 Mar. 2013
I don't often do reviews just because I never get round to them or feel it not necessary what with all the other reviews on Amazon, but after reading this book I think it'd be repaying some of the debt if I spend some time explaining its impression on me. It was superb.

To keep it brief, I'll summarise by points.

1) A vivid description of theatre at the turn of the 20th century (and its complete lack of health and safety) and her life as an actress bordering on the poverty line.

2) An intimate portrayal of the brilliant D.W.Griffith in all his lunacy.

3) Beautifully describes the filming of some of cinema's greatest films, most poignantly 'The Birth of a Nation' and 'Intolerance' which stirred up the feeling of seeing them again for the first time and being blown away by them.

4) Most importantly though, reading about her life brought about the feeling of the dignity and wonder her films generated. Her dedication and love of her family and the proud discreetness in which she describes her private life was something totally admirable. I find it tragic, total injustice, that I'll never get to meet her.

Also, her refusing to a tabloid scandal to coincide with the release of 'The Wind' even after she was told "if you don't do as I say, I can ruin you" by Louis. B. Mayer is completely admirable. People just can't 'stick it to the man' nowadays.

If you've just a fluttering interest for the silent era, then for God's sake, read this book!

Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats (The Illustrated Old Possum)
Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats (The Illustrated Old Possum)
by T.S. Eliot

5.0 out of 5 stars The most accurate study of feline psychology ever..., 20 April 2012
The fact that this man can write the modernist masterpiece 'The Waste Land' and can turn his ideas to... cats???? Mind-blowing!

I'm eighteen years old, and should know better when it comes to buying poetry for children. Despite this, it takes someone older to understand the eccentric brilliance of this darling little book. I lost my copy once, and I panicked like there was no tomorrow. This book means so much to me, and never fails to make me smile. I look at cats in an entirely different way.

You've read of several kinds of Cat,
And my opinion now is that
You should need no interpreter
To understand their character.

We do need an interpreter, his name is T.S.Eliot. It is thanks to him, we know how to appropriately name cats and how to address their kind- which of course is, "don't speak until you're spoken to"