Profile for Ms. Emma Bowley > Reviews

Content by Ms. Emma Bowley

Ms. Emma Bowley "Pong" (Derby, UK)

FUJI FinePix F480 black
FUJI FinePix F480 black

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Camera, Excellent Value, 20 Aug 2008
The Fuji FinePix F480 is the perfect camera for someone on a tight budget. The camera is easy to use, with a fantastic display. With 8.2 megapixels the picture quality is fantastic, even in areas of poor light. I cannot fault this product and would recommend it to all.

French Lessons In Africa: Travels with my Briefcase through French Africa
French Lessons In Africa: Travels with my Briefcase through French Africa
by Peter Biddlecombe

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read into French Africa, 25 July 2004
This book looks at Peter Biddlecombe travelling around the french part of Africa, or "Francophone Africa" as he calls it. Reading this book in 2004, after it was written in the 80's, and being only 18 I occasionally struggled to understand some of the political references he makes to other countries and the live style that occured in the UK then, however I also learnt a lot.
This book was well written giving great insight into the culture of many of the people in French Africa. Each chapter covers a different country however links are made between the too making it flow much better than in some of his other books.
The only problem with this book was the quantity of french. Many of the conversations he has are in French, not very difficult french but french none the less. I expected this due to previous books I have read of his and managed to muddle my way through. I would not recommend this book to someone who knows absolutely nothing of the French language unless they are willing to miss out the odd paragraph or two.
Overall, however, it was an excellent read.

Bill Bryson's African Diary
Bill Bryson's African Diary
by Bill Bryson

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good....needed to be longer, 25 July 2004
Bill Bryson tells us all about the Care Projects in Africa in this wonderful little charity book. The book is well written, even funny in places, and touches on poverty in the third world. The problem is that I felt that a six day diary in just over sixth pages was not enough. I wanted to know more about these people and their lives. I believe that this book could have been far greater if far more of the same quality of writting had been included.
I would recommend this book to anyone who wants a short read, not someone who wants to get their teeth into what lives are like in Africa.

Do Not Pass Go: From the Old Kent Road to Mayfair
Do Not Pass Go: From the Old Kent Road to Mayfair
by Tim Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 23 July 2004
This book was well written, funny, and very informative. If you have ever sat playing monopoly and wondered what these streets are really like and where they are, and why were they chosen? this book is for you. When I was younger and went to London I used to try and find all of the Monopoly streets on the street map...I never could find Vine St, read this book to find out why! This book will tell you why "Vic and Marge" chose the streets they did back in the 1930s for the monopoly board...many of them were very different to how they are today!
Well written, amusing and interesting this book is an excellent read.

Are You Experienced?
Are You Experienced?
by William Sutcliffe

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT, Fantastic, Well worth reading!, 18 Jun 2004
This review is from: Are You Experienced? (Paperback)
I read "New Boy" a few years back, now 18 I spotted "Are you experienced" in a book shop sale, I knew instantly that I had to buy it as "New Boy" had been so excellent, my only concern was that now I was maybe too old to enjoy it. I was completely wrong, this book is excellent for any age. It tells you all about India along with the story line, which in places is so funny. I read it within days as I couldn't put it down. It is well worth reading!!!!

Around the World - On Expenses
Around the World - On Expenses
by Peter Biddlecombe

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but not excellent, 14 Jun 2004
Peter Biddlecombe writes a very interesting book on his travels around Africa, some of Europe and South America, I found the book very enjoyable, amusing and I felt that I actually learnt a lot about the places he visited. The main problem was that he speaks a lot of French - he is after all in french speaking Africa for many chapters - this is okay if, like me, you understand some French from doing GCSE, however if you remember very little or know no french you would definetly struggle - even I didn't understand many jokes due to the french!!! Other than this is it a very good read, but not the best.