Profile for Expatcooking > Reviews

Lamaze My First Fish Bowl
Lamaze My First Fish Bowl
Offered by The Magic Toy Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun with fish, 23 Feb 2013
Just bought an assortment of new toys for our eight month old, and this was definitely the favorite. She loves to fish out all the sea creatures, examine them and chat with them. We couldn't even get her to look at her other toys!

Small Adventures in Cooking (New Voices in Food)
Small Adventures in Cooking (New Voices in Food)
by James Ramsden

2.0 out of 5 stars Where are the adventures?, 18 Oct 2011
I chose the book by looking through the index to see how many recipe titles interested me. With such good reviews, I never would have imagined that could be such a big mistake. I did not realize that this wasn't really a book of recipes, but more of a book on how to "cheat" at the recipes. I stopped being interested in that right around the time I stopped being a student. Maybe a student is the intended audience?)
Some examples:
Curry chicken recipe that is nothing but commercial curry paste and yogurt. Rub it on the chicken and bake! I could have got that from the label on curry paste jar.
A chapter called "corner shop capers" that uses tinned EVERYTHING: tinned aubergine, spinach, rice pudding, salmon, and more. I suppose this was my biggest disappointment. I was really looking forward to some of the recipes here-spinach and chickpea curry sounds lovely, but the idea of eating tinned spinach is completely unappealing. Rice pudding with apple and cardamom compote--yum! But again, this calls for tinned rice pudding, so it lost its appeal.
Even the recipes that thankfully do not call for tinned ingredients are oversimplified, unfortunately. I was looking forward to the Cod with Warm Russian Salad--but in an attempt to make it less intimidating to the inexperienced (I assume) he has reduced the Russian Salad to nothing more than beets, onions, and gherkins.
No matter how much we want it to, short-cut food does not taste as good. And I think his tips in the book are often trying to say that we should not be intimidated by cooking. However, instead of showing that it real cooking skills are easy to obtain, he made it so you don't even have to try.