Profile for Guyt > Reviews

Guyt (Montréal, Québec)

Sun Leads Me On
Sun Leads Me On

5.0 out of 5 stars Direction has changed, 6 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Sun Leads Me On (Audio CD)
I was a bit disappointed the first time I heard it: no catchy song like "Full Circle" on their debut album "Dark Eyes". Actually, I found it plain boring. Second listening didn't change my opinion.

But today, I really discovered the album with a pair of headphones on. "Sun Leads me on" requires that you pay attention to really enjoy. If their first album proved that these guys can sing, play instruments and put a song together, this one proves that they can create a subtle atmosphere.

Half Moon Run could have a pop band, "Dark Eyes" had songs pointing in that direction. "Sun Leads Me On" points elsewhere. Good for us, we will follow.

Une Version Amelioree De La Tristesse
Une Version Amelioree De La Tristesse

5.0 out of 5 stars An Euro French-Canadian, 5 Oct. 2013
I am very glad and surprised to see this album offered on Amazon.co.uk.

Even though Peter Peter he sings in French, he is probably one of the most "exportable" product from he alternate musical scene in Montreal. The first time I heard him, I thought he was from France, a mix of Indochine and Etienne Daho, with strong influences from UK.

"Une version amélioré de la tristesse" means "An upgraded version of sadness". The lyrics are not far away from those from Robert Smith: There all about impossible love and inability to fit in. It doesn't really matter if you don't understand, you'll get the idea from the atmosphere.

Lot's of keyboards on the album, contrary to his first one, that had the guitars up front. The sound seams to come from the 80's. Certainly not the worst period in the musical era.

Here's a link that will give you access to a very representative song from the album:

[...]

Civilian
Civilian

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks, Zombies!, 4 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Civilian (Audio CD)
Like a lot of people, I discovered Wye Oak on the "Walking Dead. Season 2" television series. One of their songs, "Civilian", was used to close one the episodes, "8 Miles Out":

[...]

I just fell in love with the tune, so I rushed to my computer to order their CD, hoping I would get a couple of other great songs. When I got the CD, I listened to it 3 times in a row. The last time that I did that, it was with "Seventeen Seconds" from the Cure, more than 30 years ago.

What surprises me is that I was never found of female singers, probably because I can't relate. But this girl from Baltimore, boy, she moves me, inside out.

Anyways, if you like that tune from Walking Dead, don't hesitate to get the whole album, "Civilian" is simply the best album I bought in a long time.

Dark Eyes
Dark Eyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this record, 14 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Dark Eyes (Audio CD)
Listen.

I am a French-Canadian from Montreal. All the music I ever listened to was from U.K. And I used to pay big bucks for my records, because most albums I bought were imports (Joy Division, Durruti Column, Pale Fountains, Ride, Bloody Valentine and so forth) . So I feel you owe me. You have to buy "Dark Eyes", from this Canadian group that decided to live in my city, Montreal.

To convince yourself that you are doing the right thing, go on youtube, listen to "Full Circle", you'll be hooked. The rest of the album is as good. Just one complain, there's maybe only 38 minutes of music, we could have used more.

Half Moon Run will be big. I tell you, if these guys were Brits, I would buy the import.

Volumes One And Two
Volumes One And Two
Offered by skyvo-direct

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this reissue, 15 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Volumes One And Two (Audio CD)
If this repackage is the "Big Beat" reissue, it is a ripoff and it will ruin our listening experience of two milestones in modern music. For one thing, volume 1 and 2 were carelessly packed on the same CD, a debatable choice, but let's say not dramatic. Where it hurts is the passage from one track to the other, where audible ticks and music discontinuity kills the original music flow.

This is particularity annoying on volume 2. Theoretically there are 20 titles or so on the album, but when it came out, we listened to side one and then side two has a whole, not even noticing the passage from one song to the other. But this re-edition artificially reminds you that the track has changed, certainly not the way this masterpiece was intended.

I simply threw this re-edition in the garbage and ordered the single re-editions, hoping I'll get better quality.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 5, 2014 3:39 PM GMT

Farscape
Farscape

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit repetitive, 14 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Farscape (Audio CD)
I knew Klaus Schulze as a brief member of one of my fetish groups, Tangerine Dream. I also knew that he played a a major role in electronic "atmospheric" music. But I must admit that I didn't follow his incredible production over the years (close to 100 albums!).

I liked Lisa Gerrard's Gothic/Gregorian vocal work with Dead Can Dance, so I knew a bit what to expect from this Farscape. And yes, her vocal improvisations over Schulze's ambient music work perfectly well.

There are 7 titles on two CD's called "Liquid Coincidence 1" to "Liquid Coincidence 7" averaging 20 minutes each. As the titles suggests, you kind of get the same atmosphere for two hours, so one could get a little bored after a while. It could even be dangerous if you are driving at night.

But if you take it by smaller doses, Farscape is a very enjoyable experience.