Profile for J. K. Buckley > Reviews

Content by J. K. Buckley

J. K. Buckley "jadadulo" (England)

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)

5.0 out of 5 stars Zelda Soars Swyward!!!, 7 Jan. 2012
Where do I start?... At 40 I have played virtually every Zelda game there is, Ocarina 3x, Majora's 2x & Wind Waker also 2x... However, The Twilight Princess is the ONLY Zelda game I never completed!! As it was a game for the Wii I felt I needed to do this write up just in case, like me, you were maybe put off a little by TTP & possibly thinking Zelda had lost it's way, or simply couldn't cut it on a console like the Wii...? Well, dont be, The Skyward Sword is utterly FANTASTIC!!!

I'll start with my only real gripe which is the control style of the game ~ As a whole it is fantastic (I'll explain more later), however, I have found occaisionally that the Nunchuck joystick control gets jammed 'in game' & Link runs round in circles & I temporarolly lose control ~ But all you need to do is unplug the Nunchuck & then immediately plug it back in & this resets the problem!! After around 30hrs of play it has happened only around 5 or 6 times ~ Worth noting, this could be that I have an iffy Nunchuck?... My brother is 60hrs into Skyward Sword & far ahead of me & he has had no issue at all!!...

Now to the good stuff ~ The game itself is HUGE!!! With loads of side quests & challenges to keep you occupied should you tire of questing for awhile. Indeed, TSS has an ingenious new angle on weaponry in so much as you are now required to hunt for different items (incl. insects & bugs - you need to buy a net to catch these at the start of the game, to hidden treasures, rare plants, claws, feathers etc...) in order to upgrade your weapons!! No more simply being given the best sword or shield, you start with the basic tools for the job & its then up to you to find all the required items in order to improve your items!! (which you have to do in order to progress through the game ~ your first shield is a wooden one which very easily breaks or burns & your left forking out for a (expensive!!) replacement!!!).

The upgrade side is worth noting in fact, you have 10 Sheild upgrades & 7 sword upgrades, plus around 1 - 3 upgrades on many other new & fantatstic weapons & tools you will aquire throughout the game (incl. a whip, a 'blower' & a fantatsic 'Beetle'!!). Your bomb & seed pouches require 3 upgrades each & your purse... 7 upgrades!! To hold a massive 9900 rupees!!! (& yes, there are items which will scoff all that loot!!).
You can even improve your potions (there are quite a few to choose from, but to save spoiling it we'll just talk about the usual 'heart' potion here), once again a successful loot hunt to collect the correct ingredients will result in a Heart Potion+ & even a Heart Potion ++ (restores all your hearts & can be used twice!!). In fact, so good are the array of potions & especially as you can improve them, the old 'fairy in a jar' is quite defunct in this game!! I certainly haven't bothered, although you do still get the instant resurection, but only 6 hearts will be restored which aint good if you're in the middle of an intence Boss fight!!!

The gameplay is fantastic, dont expect a 'walkthrough' game like WW (which I completed without losing a life!!)... The Boss's in TSS are VERY hard to beat!! Complex fighting techniques are required to defeat them & I have found myself stood sweating & exhausted after certain battles ~ much to the ammusement of my daughter!!.
The dungeons are complex & their usual frustrating self ~ however, a nice touch no longer having to search for a compass ~ only the map is required!!

I could go on & on here, but the fact is that at 30hours of play I'm only 40% of the way through the game, but I'm hooked, I'm still to even begin a side quest or in-game challenge!!! If you're thinking about buying it - BUY IT!! You shant regret it, its vastly better than Twilight Princess, it's better than Majora's Mask & Wind Waker & it holds its own against the giant Ocarina of Time!!!

Let the Right One in [Blu-ray]
Let the Right One in [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Kåre Hedebrant

4.0 out of 5 stars At Last A Vamp Film with Umph!!!, 15 April 2010
First off - I stopped enjoying Vampire films after Bram Stokers Dracula!! All the one's since have been poor at best, in my opinion. The whole concept of a Vampire film now bores me to tears!!
Secondly - I really am lazy when it comes to films & I really dont want to be bothered with reading subtitles... So I tend to avoid subtitled films!!

So, I have no idea how I came to watch this film?... But boy, am I glad I did!!
The setting is totally unique (and no I dont accept 30 Days of Night being in a similar setting, because an American Vamp film had pretty much nowhere else left to go to be original). The use of the two misfit kids was also brilliant... But the real strength in this film was the amazing friendship that followed between the two.. I really am trying not to do too much of a spoiler alert write up here!!
Basically, I should've hated this film, but I loved it!! Start, middle & the end was so emotionaly brilliant, words fail me!!
What would we give for more completely uniquely brilliant fims like this eh?...

Law Abiding Citizen [Blu-ray]
Law Abiding Citizen [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Gerard Butler

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Start, Poor End..., 15 April 2010
I'm something of a 'revenge film' fan, so this film seemed to be just the ticket for me. And, indeed was, as I left the cinema very pleased with the majority of the film, but felt a little let down that the 'all-seeing' anti-hero was unable to forsee his only major weak spot... Oh well..
Anyway, I watched the film for a second time on Bluray & as a whole was impressed with the overall picture/sound quality.
For the sake of forking out less than £15 for this?... Well, I didn't, I rented it...But, certainly worth the price if this is the film for you & you dont mind a slightly disapointing end.
As ever though, old Gerrard is excellent!!

Crow [Collector's Edition] [Blu-ray]
Crow [Collector's Edition] [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Brandon Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a Tad Different to DVD!!!, 5 July 2009
Giving this, my all-time favourite film, a 3 star rating hurt, as I love the film as much now as I did when I first saw it over 10 years ago!!!
But the Blu-ray has nothing to offer!!! The picture quality is the same as the DVD, no added extras (worth watching, anyway) that didn't appear on not only the DVD, but also on the VHS release!!! (Yes, I now own this film on all 3 formats!!)...
Dont waste your money on this, not worth it!!
....It is however, still the greatest goth-cult film ever made!!!

300 (2 Disc Special Edition) [2007] [DVD]
300 (2 Disc Special Edition) [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gerard Butler
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking!!!!!, 7 Aug. 2007
Already being a Frank Miller fan I guess I'm slightly swayed on this film, Sin City still remains in my all time Top Five films!!!... But 300 was way more than even I expected!! It's visual quality is matched only by the breathtaking fight scenes... all set in typical Miller dark setting! This film you must see.... some slightly drawn out scenes regarding the political side of the stand of the 300... otherwise I have no problem at all!!!

The X Files: Season 2 [DVD] [1994]
The X Files: Season 2 [DVD] [1994]
Dvd ~ David Duchovny
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars X marks the spot ... again !, 14 Aug. 2004
Your thought's of "where do we go next ?" after the closing-down of the X-files in series 1 is instantly re-ignited with the quite excellent opening show entitled 'Little Green Men' ! Mulder pointing out that they , the aliens , are generaly refered to as 'Grey's' not at all green . Soon enough the Skinner 'does what they fear most' and re-opens the X-files .
Before this , however , an excellent one-off episode in the form of 'The Host' is a top ranking episode in itself , beaten only , possibly , by the brilliant epidode 'Humbug'.
If , like me , you own series 1 I strongly recomend you continue the story and purchase series 2 , excellent one-off episodes and the ball definately starts gaining speed on the whole abduction story here - a story which will span the next 7 series !!

The X Files: Season 1 [DVD] [1994]
The X Files: Season 1 [DVD] [1994]
Dvd ~ David Duchovny
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Best certainly first !!!, 24 July 2004
The original series , I believe , is by far the best . The opening Pilot is gripping TV at it's best . The excellent Deep Throat episode remains to this day a strong favorite episode , beaten only by Detour ( Series 5 ) and also a series 1 episode Darkness Falls . It is certainly a 'must have' for any X-file fan .