Profile for The Realsoulbluesman > Reviews

Content by The Realsoulbl...

The Realsoulbluesman "MikeT" (Clitheroe, Lancashire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Move With The Groove - The One-derful Mar-V-Lus Story (Rigid Digibook)
Move With The Groove - The One-derful Mar-V-Lus Story (Rigid Digibook)

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant mix of fairly obscure Chicago Soul /RnB sides from the 60's, 15 May 2013
This is a superb double CD with some great soul and RnB sides from Chicago in the 60s. Serious collectors will know many of the artists but for the rest of us this will be a really refreshing mix of styles. There are some great floorshakers here, many already popular with Northern Soul types, such as the Sharpees "Do the 45", the Du-ettes "Every Beat of my Heart" and Willie Parker's stunning "You got your finger in my eye". You could play several of these back to back and want to bob along to different beats. Programme in the lush soul of the Admirations "Wait til I get to know you" (which I can't stop playing) next to the RnB of Big Daddy Simpson "Give me back my ring" and then the funk of Thomas East & the Fabulous Playboys " I get a groove" that has a JB and the Famous Flames flavour to it. If you want some smoother soul tracks you won't get much better than the Ulti-Mations "Without you" or if you want some deep soul listen to the Otis Clay and Dorothy Prince tracks.

It reminds me a bit of the Rojac Story in that it has lots of variety and different styles to it. It probably sums it up best in the fact that I have a massive CD collection but this has not been out of the CD player for the two months since I bought it. I cannot recommend it highly enough - get it bought!!!!!!!

The Wigan Casino Years 1973-81
The Wigan Casino Years 1973-81

4.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating read on a specialist subject., 6 April 2013
I am not a Northern Soul fan being more of a sixties soul and blues man, but I found this read to be fascinating in its detail and descriptions. I don't know how factually true it is because I never had any interest in Wigan Casino and 70's Northern Soul. In fact I thought many of the tracks that I heard which were described as Northern Soul were pretty rank. I remember seeing Wigan's Ovation on Top of the Pops and thinking how shocking it was. The records that were described as highlights of each year were interesting. I knew a handful of them that I quite liked. I found that I liked less tracks as it moved through to the 80's.

I was spellbound by the tales of all the fakes and copies, and covering labels up, and how Ian Levine tried to manufacture records to meet the need. I am aware that top class Northern Soul records are sold for lots of money but the background to this is interesting for an outsider. I have always been an albums man and so find this fixation with 45s a bit odd but there you go.

Someone who lived the Casino years might find this book less than satisfactory for various reasons personal to them, however for an "outsider" I found it to be a fascinating read and raced through it very quickly. I would recommend this as a good read

The Best Of Rojack & Tays
The Best Of Rojack & Tays

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting mix of styles that grows on you, 6 Feb. 2013
I was a bit disappointed with this when I first got it and would probably would have agreed with the 3 stars of the other reviewers. However on further listening the sheer variety of the different styles of soul that were released on Rojac & Tay-ster start to bring a smile to your face. The Big Maybelle tracks are always worth listening to, as are the International GTOs. The Third Guitar and Jo Armstead's tracks also hit me after a few plays. The Dam Sam the Miracle Man tracks took me a bit longer to get into but I really like them. I think if you approach these two CDs with an open mind they will give you a lot of listening pleasure. If you're looking for full ahead dancers you might be a bit disappointed. The packaging is bright and gives you something interestingto read. If you can get this at a good price it is worth buying and then giving it a bit of timeto appreciate the different styles of soul.

Jerk & Twine ~ The Complete Chess Recordings
Jerk & Twine ~ The Complete Chess Recordings

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic release of 60's Soul from Kent......, 8 Jan. 2013
I've always loved "Selfish One" which I have on a really old Chess LP so I was really excited about the prospect of a full CD of Jackie Ross Chess sides. This doesn't disappoint as it is full of outstanding tracks that are new to me. I can't sop playing "Trust in Me" on repeat. This is a real classic foot-tapper and I defy anyone to sit still to it. A collector friend of mine says that it was released in the late 90's as a single, but it escaped me. You then need to listen to the excellent version of "Take me fora little while". There are two unreleased tracks on it from 1965 which are real growers "Stick to one" & "My Square". "New Lover" is a retake on "Selfish One" with lots more organ on it - it sounds a bit odd at first but soon grows. "Dynamite Lovin'" is pretty excellent as well. Not sure yet about the two standards "Summertime" & "Misty" but they may grow on me.

If you are into 60's Soul and want to explore past the singles this CD is a must and will give you hours of pleasure - you can't stop yourself smiling when listening to this!!

Dig It the Most/Complete Jackie Day
Dig It the Most/Complete Jackie Day

5.0 out of 5 stars Another stunning Kent release., 28 Jun. 2012
This is a CD brim full of great sounds from a top notch singer. It has a fine mix of dancers and slower tracks. Its great to have the once priceless Phelectron single "I want your love/Naughty Boy" ( I much prefer the A side over the B side Northern Soul classic!)but there are many other standout tracks."Long as I got my Baby" and "Before its too late" are great dancers and I love "Guilty" which has smacks of the two brilliant Inez & Charlie Foxx tracks of a similar name. There is lots of variety and it is a good CD to sit and listen right through. An essential buy for 60's soul lovers. MikeT

Poppa Willie: The Hi Years/1962-74
Poppa Willie: The Hi Years/1962-74
Offered by HitsvilleUK & more

5.0 out of 5 stars The master at work, 28 Jun. 2012
An excellent double CD that gives a wide span of Willies work - although I would have had to include "Louie Louie" as well. With 51 tracks there are some that are less exciting. I prefer side One the Originals to Side Two the Covers. I guess "The Champion" "Mercy" and "Soul Serenade" are my faves as they sound as good now as they ever did. If you like Willie M this will give you hours of joy. Mike T

The Collection
The Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply soul singing at its very best., 28 Jun. 2012
This review is from: The Collection (Audio CD)
I could go on for ages about this CD but really it is a simply astonishingly soulful - singing by a star who was overlooked, perhaps because of her sister? "I want to be with you" is surely one of the 10 best tracks in soul. Her voice is so powerful and emotional. But she also shows her versatility with some great dancers such as "Worth every tear that I cry". You don't need me to go on - if you love soul you will love this CD. Just buy it asap. Mike T

Tamla Motown: The Stories Behind The UK Singles
Tamla Motown: The Stories Behind The UK Singles
by Terry Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating reference book, 4 Mar. 2011
Whilst I am not a Motown fanatic in any way but more someone with a general interest in music I have really enjoyed reading this book. Some of the musical detail is lost on me but it is fascinating to read all the background "goings-on" that most of us were oblivious to. It puts the releases into a different context and is enjoyable for this. I am sure that anyone who is really into Motown would love this.

Sony Bravia KDL40EX503U 40-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 100Hz LCD Internet TV with Freeview HD

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but for the sound, 7 Nov. 2010
I purchased this after reading lots of reviews about various makes and models. Was replacing a 32 inch Panasonic LCD which we really liked. Am delighted with the TV, the picture is really good amd we are impressed with the ease of use of the Sony systems. However the sound is a real disappointment after the Panasonic and it feels too weak for the size of the TV. For the first time ever we are contemplating getting some extra speakers. The sound is particularly weak when we play our Sony DVD Player/ recorder through this TV, which seems really odd.

The other issue is the internet connectivity as mentioned by other reviewers - I can confirm for anyone who is still in doubt that you cannot use a generic wireless adapter and need the Sony one. My son who is a bit of a techie thinks it is a con but we will sort it a different way as we are not willing to spend over £60 on the Sony kit. As we are not used to using a TV for the internet stuff this is not a major issue but a bit irritating.

So in many ways a great TV but one that lets down a bit on the sound side.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 18, 2010 12:14 PM GMT

Tail Dragger
Tail Dragger

5.0 out of 5 stars This may be his best album!!!, 4 May 2010
This review is from: Tail Dragger (Audio CD)
I love Innes and have a number of his albums that I have bought through the years and some of my fave tracks are by him. Where this album may be his best is the consistency throughout and the mix of variations on the blues theme. I only caught up with it rercently and I am blown away by it and bore anybody who likes blues rock guitar with "OK Joe is great but Innes may just be better" statements in the pub. Have only seen him live once but he really thrilled me and I must see him again. Rather than go through every track I would just say that every track has something to excite and interest - buy it you will not be disappointed. It continues to bring a big smile to my face whenever I play it

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4