Profile for hjr > Reviews

Content by hjr

hjr (York, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Woman Who Upped and Left: A laugh-out-loud read that will put a spring in your step!

2.0 out of 5 stars no laughs for me....., 3 May 2016
Well I have read worse novels and obviously it is meant to be a light hearted read rather than a literary experience, but this one seemed to drag on so and as it did I became increasingly annoyed by it. I was irritated by a number of the characters not least the main protagonist Audrey and her unbelievably selfish son Morgan who for no apparent reason suddenly becomes human in the last few pages. It would have been much more believably if he had switched throughout the story from being totally self centred but then showing care and understanding in the way that teenagers do, rather than waiting until the end of the book to demonstrate any endearing characteristics. Audrey herself is supposed to be a hard working school dinner lady and carer, but the tone of her dialogue is all wrong and frankly she just wouldn't put up with that degree of indolence and lack of consideration in her son. Sorry it was decidedly not for me.

All the Light We Cannot See
All the Light We Cannot See
by Anthony Doerr

5.0 out of 5 stars This one stays with you - for all the right reasons!, 19 Mar. 2016
This is one of the best books I have read for a very long time and is highly recommended. I bought the kindle version first and then didn't read it immediately so I didn't realise it was a Pullitzer prize winner (one of the advantages and sometimes disadvantages of electronic books being that you don't constantly see the cover or blurb) and didn't know what to expect. I was so impressed that I have now bought the "proper book", ie paperback version, so that I can lend it to family and friends and keep it to read again. The prose is delightful which makes reading it a pleasure despite the terrible circumstances that the main characters are caught in. Most importantly I felt empathy for all the characters (even the Nazi ones) because the author reveals their inner thoughts and dilemmas so beautifully. The image of the detailed models that the father makes for his blind daughter has really stayed with me. I will be reading other titles by this author.

The York Book
The York Book
by Michael S. Bennett

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely little guide to York, 23 Oct. 2015
This review is from: The York Book (Paperback)
This is a fascinating, readable and enjoyable little book - great to dip into (I have it by my bed - yes really!) and as it is in alphabetical order it is a useful reference when we go around York and want to find out about the interesting buildings. It is concise and very well written. Unfortunately it is now a little out of date in places but most of the key information remains accurate.

Playtex Cherish 3pk Cotton Maxi Brief Black 18
Playtex Cherish 3pk Cotton Maxi Brief Black 18

3.0 out of 5 stars not enough stretch, 23 Oct. 2015
These were purchased for an elderly lady and unfortunately they are not as good quality as the Sloggis she usually wears or the Playtex briefs which she bought some years ago. The cotton is not as thick and although the main part of the briefs are generous enough the elastic on the waist is quite narrow with very little stretch so it starts to dig in after she has worn them for a while. Back to the more expensive brands I think.

Miele Complete C2 PowerLine Vacuum, 1600 watts, Black
Miele Complete C2 PowerLine Vacuum, 1600 watts, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars expensive but worth it, 28 Sept. 2015
No doubt that Miele vacuum cleaners are expensive but they are definitely worth it. They actually suck up the dirt, fluff, dog hairs etc with ease. I won't pretend that it makes cleaning a pleasure but at least it gets done efficiently and it does give some satisfaction when the job is well done. If you can afford it this is undoubtedly good value for money and you will not go back to other brands. This one was bought for my daughter as a present when she moved into her new house and I like the way all the tools are neatly stored inside the body so they don't get lost.

Betula Unisex - Adult Energy Clogs And Mules Blue Blau/dark blue Size: 39
Betula Unisex - Adult Energy Clogs And Mules Blue Blau/dark blue Size: 39
Offered by angies-shoeshop

4.0 out of 5 stars great flip flops, 28 Sept. 2015
Most comfortable flip flops I have worn. The shaped foot bed helps to keep feet from sliding around and gives some support. This is my second pair and I have only given 4 stars as the toe post on one sandal was slightly rough this time.

Helen with the High Hand (2nd ed.)
Helen with the High Hand (2nd ed.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing read, 28 Sept. 2015
I really enjoyed this amusing little book. It is refreshing to read such strong female characters in a period setting and some of the details about social etiquette and class expectations which came through the novel were fascinating. It is a gentle story told with lots of humour - recommended particularly as a break from some of the more recent modern novels I have been reading which have had rather disturbing themes (assisted suicide, dementia and nazi concentration camps as examples) . An enjoyable and satisfying read.

The Invisible Library (The Invisible Library series Book 1)
The Invisible Library (The Invisible Library series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Weird but compelling, 22 Aug. 2015
This is a very unusual book and not the type of fiction I would normally choose but I did enjoy it, although at times it felt as if I was reading a script for an action packed sci fi film especially in the more gruesome scenes. The prose is not bad, (especially as I had just finished reading Stone Mattress by Margaret Atwood which is a brilliant set of short stories where the writing is supremely elegant), and the story is well developed. Even as a non sci fi reader I could follow the plot (well most of the time!). The concept of the invisible library was very interesting and the author managed to introduce it skillfully throughout the novel without too much explanation or scene setting at the beginning. It was refreshing to have a female protagonist and the author managed to make her a strong character while also demonstrating some vulnerability. In other words she was a hero that you could identify with. I found the ending slightly unsatisfactory and there was a hint of a suggestion that this was the first of a series? Definitely worth a read if you want something different.

Sinland Microfibre Dish Drying Mats Super Absorbent Light Grey 40cmx46cm
Sinland Microfibre Dish Drying Mats Super Absorbent Light Grey 40cmx46cm
Offered by Eco-cleaning

3.0 out of 5 stars good product - terrible colour, 12 July 2015
This works well on a granite work top and absorbs water easily, but the pale grey colour is awful - it just looks dirty - so I would recommend trying a different colour.

The Pilates Bible: The Most Comprehensive and Accessible Guide to Pilates Ever
The Pilates Bible: The Most Comprehensive and Accessible Guide to Pilates Ever
by Lynne Robinson

5.0 out of 5 stars great reminder, 4 July 2015
Good clear instructions and pictures and it would be ideal for a beginner. However there is nothing like a sympathetic and encouraging tutor in a pilates class to keep you going, so I would recommend using this as a reminder at home.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4