Profile for David Nash-Brown > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Spinsters in Jeopardy
Spinsters in Jeopardy

3.0 out of 5 stars An odd title, 20 Mar 2013
This review is from: Spinsters in Jeopardy (Paperback)
. . . insofar as the Spinsters in the title do not figure prominently in the story. The most interesting character is the taxi-driver the local police allocate to Alleyn. I got a bit tired of the regular trips back the the villain's lair by Alleyn, which surely ought to have raised the crooks' suspicions more than it seemed to. The final denouement, in a black mass, was quite dramatic. But one wondered why the police didn't simply arrive with a few arrest warrants long before!

Final Curtain
Final Curtain
Price: 7.18

4.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate Marsh, 20 Mar 2013
This review is from: Final Curtain (Paperback)
This must be one of Ngaio Marsh's best books. It's all there - colourful characters, a sleuthing Troy and Inspector Rory Alleyn the supreme upper-crust police detective. What more can one ask?

Inspector Alleyn - The Complete Series [DVD]
Inspector Alleyn - The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patrick Malahide
Price: 15.39

5.0 out of 5 stars My joy is complete, 20 Mar 2013
I bought this in order to have "Artists in Crime", which was missing form the set I bought several years ago. "Artists" was, I thought, excellent with Simon Williams giving us a very presentable (If very different) Inspector Alleyn that compares well in its way with Patrick Malahide.

Last Ditch (The Alleyn Mysteries)
Last Ditch (The Alleyn Mysteries)

3.0 out of 5 stars Murder on the canal, 20 Mar 2013
This is a different Inspector Alleyn mystery, in that it is his wife, Troy, who is centre-stage for much of the story. Troy takes to the canal in a pleasure-craft for a bit of peaceful painting - only to find that one of her fellow-passengers goes overboard in the middle of the night. There are mysteries about most of Troy's erstwhile companions, who are a motley group of customers. She pops off to report her suspicions when the boat stops for the night at various towns along the canal. The plodding policemen she encounters are probably the weakest part of the story. Once Alleyn himself becomes involved, the action hots up and the denouement is well-handled and unexpected (to me anyway!).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 20, 2013 7:35 PM GMT

Toilet Duck Cool Mist Liquid Rim Block (Pack of 6)
Toilet Duck Cool Mist Liquid Rim Block (Pack of 6)

4.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 19 Mar 2013
Does what it says on the packet. Easy to fit for the manually-challenged such as me. Quite good value too.

Crabtree & Evelyn Nantucket Briar Room Spray 100ml
Crabtree & Evelyn Nantucket Briar Room Spray 100ml
Offered by Escentual
Price: 10.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 19 Mar 2013
I last had a C&E spray about 10 years ago and it's still just going! This one is half the size and, inevitably, more expensive. My only other complaint about it is that there is not much "oomph" when you press the button. Otherwise, satisfactory. I arrived with a small dent in the side.

Roberts CD9960 CD FM/MW/LW Radio Cassette Player
Roberts CD9960 CD FM/MW/LW Radio Cassette Player
Price: 58.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, 17 Dec 2012
For a good while, I spasmodically searched for a truly portable radio (i.e. with a handle) that also played tapes and CDs. With the Roberts CD9960 I have found it! I was not expecting "concert-hall" sound and this machine doesn't give it. However, sound reproduction is good for a radio that does all three things, and which you can carry around. The only fault I have to fin is that the controls on the left (On/Off etc) are fiddly and hard to read at a distance. And the radio tuning dial is hidden at the back. I had to consult the instructions to find out where it was! Overall, a valuable recruit to my audio army!

The Girl in Berlin
The Girl in Berlin
by Elizabeth Wilson
Price: 10.05

3.0 out of 5 stars Post-war damage, 17 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Girl in Berlin (Paperback)
I bought this book mainly on the strength of reading the author's novel "War Damage", which I much enjoyed. Some of the WD characters appear in "The Girl", although they don't seem to fit in as well as they did in the first book. I would hazard a guess that the author found it too convenient to recycle them in this tale, rather than devise new characters. The main story I also found less than convincing. The police inspector (whose name I've forgotten as it is some time since I read it) is curiously unengaging. For a succesful detective, he seems too trusting, allowing himself to be sent by M!5 "spook" more than once to Berlin where he is bemused by various characters who, to the reader, are clearly not all they seem and should have set his alarm-bells positively clanging. The detective has a wife (who never actually appears) from an Indian family. Whilst not impossible in the early 1950s, it would have been highly unusual and not conducive to a detective's career. This smacks of appealing to 21st century politically- correct readers. I guessed about halfway through who was the "baddie". I suspect Elizabeth Wilson's forte is characters in a domestic setting - not in spy stories. Whilst WD is very much an original work, The Girl is really a patchwork of people form WD, the spy scandals of the early 50s and a police milieu the author clearly doesn't know.

Kitchen Craft Deluxe Wind Up 60 Minute Timer
Kitchen Craft Deluxe Wind Up 60 Minute Timer
Price: 5.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Two-timing timer!, 17 Dec 2012
This timer "does what it says on the tin" - except that it stops 2 minutes short of the time set!

The Temptress: The Scandalous Life of Alice, Countess De Janze
The Temptress: The Scandalous Life of Alice, Countess De Janze
by Paul Spicer
Price: 5.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Less than it appears, 17 Dec 2012
I bought this book because I am very interested in the murder of Joss Errol. The book tells the story of De Janze's , self-absorbed life but it does not prove she carried out the murder, as the author claims. Really, she was one of several who could have done it. I found it sad the way she ruined her life with drugs and drink, deceived her husbands and neglected her children I became so disenchanted with her story that I did not quite finish the book The author has merely jumped on the "Happy Valley" bandwagon.

Page: 1 | 2