Profile for 'Mash > Reviews

Content by 'Mash

'Mash "Life is doxology." (London)

Morphy Richards 48415 Easy Blend - White
Morphy Richards 48415 Easy Blend - White

2.0 out of 5 stars Dice your vegetables first, quite small, although kind of defeats the point, you have been warned., 15 Oct. 2014
Apparently raw broccoli was just too much for Mr Richards, who died in the aroma of burning plastic after two weeks. I binned it, but saved the two cups which have come in very handy with my new 1200W blender.

The Calorie Myth: How to Eat More, Exercise Less, Lose Weight, and Live Better
The Calorie Myth: How to Eat More, Exercise Less, Lose Weight, and Live Better

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile read and great starter for adopting a consistent healthy lifestyle., 13 Jan. 2014
Finished the book in a day, and it was a good interesting read. I had not read about the body-weight set-point before in much detail, and want to go through the book again and look at the references. All in all the book is about increasing quality of foods, with a focus on increased protein, and replacing starchy carbohydrate with non-starchy vegetables. Really a whole-food diet in effort to increase your nutritional profile and thus balance overall health to bring you back to a healthy body-weight set-point: "Unclogging your hormonal sink". What I found intriguing was the exercise programming which is often missing in detail in many health books of this ilk. All in all a really good read, and I will be running through it again to glean more.

Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy
Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent diagrammed guide to bodyweight training., 21 Sept. 2013
Just spotted this after I heard Bret mention his upcoming book on bodyweight training via a podcast. Earlier this year a friend bought his Strong Curves: A Women's Guide to Building a Better Butt and Body and I almost finished reading it before she did. Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy is a great guide to bodyweight training for specific muscle groups, and includes excellent diagrams of the movement and specific targeted muscles. As of now (September 2013) I could only purchase it on Kindle, but I will be buying it again as hard-copy reference when it is available.

The Biblical View of Self-Esteem, Self-Love, and Self-Image
The Biblical View of Self-Esteem, Self-Love, and Self-Image

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most important books I have read of my young life., 9 Oct. 2011
The chapter that had the most impact on me was one that simply began:

"In the following chapter I shall have occasion to show that man is of value only to other men, and not to God at all." Page 85 Loc. 881-82

God does not love us because of our value to him, he loves us despite us having no value to him. The Bible makes it clear that we are valuable to each other (mankind) but salvation and grace is God loving us despite our worthlessness and compounded worthlessness due to our constant rebelling against him.

"Israel's problem was thinking that she was of great value to God. To disabuse her of any such notion, He told her in no uncertain terms that it was not because of anything in her that He chose her to become His holy nation but as He put it, "because the Lord loved you" (Duet 7:6-8). Divine grace begins in God with His love--not in man with his value. To make redemption at any level depend on man's worth rather than on God's mercy is to do despite to grace." Page 89 Loc. 913-16

The book is worth reading even just for this chapter, Adams shows quite how plainly God tells us in the Bible that our worth is in His worth alone. The Bible uses words such as "grass", "breath", "wretched" and of course "sinners". Adam also goes further to explain what being made in the image of God means, and that this does not give us redeeming value. If it did then Hitler and the like including you and I would be saved out of this "image of God" value, and not by Christ's work on the cross alone.

He gives an example that if he were to show you a photo of his wife, he would be truly insulted if you ripped it up: "The picture itself--the paper and ink, etc--is not of much value. It is worth only a few cents. What is of concern to me is not the picture itself but the one whom it represents."..."It is the One whose image and likeness man bears that is of significance--not the man who bears that image and likeness. He is merely the photograph." Page 82 Loc. 835-44

Again Adam's commenting on a quotation:
"This writer seems to think that because man is so precious, we should expect God to have redeemed him. What unbelievable toying with heresy in the name of Christianity! When I cease being amazed that Christ died to save "such a worm as I," I shall start wondering about my salvation. This sad response to God's marvelous grace seems all too symptomatic of this movement that is bent on glorifying man rather than God." Page 91 Loc. 935-43

The book is not long and really is one of my best reads of this year. It really caused me to realise how self-focused I am and to understand that to "deny self" does not mean to deny myself of something, but to deny one's own self. To "take up the cross" does not mean to make some particular sacrifice or refers to a burden but rather "taking up the cross meant one and only one thing: putting to death an infamous criminal" and that criminal is our sinful nature and who we are every minute of the day. We are saved by grace alone, and this should produce repentance and glory to God.

Thanks be to God!

The Complete C. S. Lewis Signature Classics (Rough cut edition)
The Complete C. S. Lewis Signature Classics (Rough cut edition)
by C. S. Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars (Rough cut edition) really means rough cut, 11 May 2009
A fantastic collection but I just want point out that "(Rough cut edition)" is a literal description of the page cut. I have never heard of this or ever bought a book quite like it. The pages are as you can imagine, roughly cut. But the more I think about it the more endearing the book becomes. It will age well and what a collection of books to own.

So buy it, but don't return it thinking it is a publishing fault.