Profile for Gill > Reviews

Content by Gill

Gill (Broadstairs, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Karabar Guaranteed EasyJet Cabin Approved Expandable Suitcase (Black/Purple/White)
Offered by Karabars UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the ticket, 5 Jun 2014
Having returned from our holiday today (on EasyJet) I can say I am very pleased with our 2 Karabar cabin cases. They are sturdy and were a pleasure to wheel along - and of course were guaranteed small enough to go in the cabin lockers - containing all our valuables.

New GCSE Maths Linked Pair - AQA GCSE In Methods in Mathematics and Applications of Mathematics: Student Book
by Keith Gordon

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful for a first book for this new syllabus, 12 Mar 2014
I'm looking on this book as a bit of a Godsend. I am trying to help two children taking this course and have needed to learn some of this maths so that I can pass it on! Things have changed since my A-level and O-Level days! It is an add-on book to the standard GCSE revision guide, so don't be misled - this is not a comprehensive cover of all GCSE maths by any means, but invaluable nevertheless. And of course this is the extra material needed on top of the usual GCSE syllabus because it leads to not one but two maths GCSEs. I have found a few typing errors, but the exercises are very useful.

The Reader
The Reader
by Prof Bernhard Schlink

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking, 17 July 2013
This review is from: The Reader (Paperback)
I have to admit I found the first part of the book uncomfortable reading because of the subject matter, but as the story progressed it became more interesting and thought-provoking. The reader enabled me to see things through the eyes of a person I would have in the past reviled; though it does not excuse what they did, I do have some sympathy for their difficult life-choices.

Parlour Games for Modern Families
Parlour Games for Modern Families
by Myfanwy Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Need inspiration for a party or fun-day?, 17 July 2013
This book is clearly written by an enthusiast who does play the games with his own family & friends. I have been looking for a book like this: I'm a Sunday School teacher looking for games to fill-in for my junior school aged children when the church service over-runs. However the games are by no means restricted to that age group. I'm really looking forward to trying these out in September when we start up again.

Journey into God's Heart: The True Story of a Life of Faith
Journey into God's Heart: The True Story of a Life of Faith
by Jennifer Rees Larcombe

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book!, 8 Oct 2011
I'm still reading this book but getting so much blessing and encouragement from it, I want to recommend it heartily. Jennifer has managed to share so much about her relationship with Jesus in a very honest way, and you're not left feeling as with some authors, "Wow!...but I could never possibly achieve what he/she has done!" She talks practically about forgiveness, she reminds us that it was a NEW Christian who was told by God to pray for her healing, she shares her problems with shyness for many years, she talks about the scepticism she faced from Christians preferring to believe traditional evangelical doctrine that "God no longer intervenes supernaturally today" (where did that teaching come from? It's not scriptural!)and how hurtful it was that they preferred to call her a liar rather than choose to believe her account of her miraculous healing. She also shares anecdotes of supernatural encounters with God, eg visions, an audible word, surely an angel taking the form of a dog as an answer to prayer to save her from a nasty experience, times where she has felt a strong sense of his guidance, but also very difficult times too. The most surprising thing she shared is how when she got her healing, it actually created some problems and it maybe helps to illustrate what Jesus meant in John 5 when he asked the sick man (for 38 years) lying by the pool, "Do you want to get well?"

Nine o'Clock in the Morning
Nine o'Clock in the Morning
by Dennis J. Bennett

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book which could change your life, 20 Jun 2011
I'm reading this book for the third time because it is a great encourager. Despite attending Sunday School throughout the 1970s, it wasn't until I attended an alpha course that the Holy Spirit was explained to me, and at that time I said it was "the church's best kept secret". I felt cheated. Years later I read an old book by the great David Watson called "One in the Spirit", published in the early 1970s, and I quote this from the first page of chapter one:
"...there is a general agreement that a rediscovery of the life and power of the Spirit is one of the greatest needs of our day. Indeed, Dr Carl Bates once made the remark that 'if God were to take the Holy Spirit out of our midst today, about ninety-five per cent of what we are doing in our churches would go on, and we would not know the difference.' For many years the Holy Spirit has been the 'Displaced Person of the Trinity'.
"Yet, undoubtedly, the Spirit of God was the key to everything in the New Testament Church. The fifth book of the New Testament should really be called the Acts of the Holy Spirit. If God had taken the Holy Spirit out of their midst in those days, about ninety-five per cent of what they were doing in their churches would have ceased immediately. Everyone would have known the difference."
Dennis Bennett's experiences with the Holy Spirit pre-date David Watson's book, but slowly, slowly, the church does seem to be moving in the right direction in the 21st Century. What I like about Dennis's book is that it isn't just an instruction manual or even a piece of theology, but it follows the practical steps he felt compelled to make to stay obedient to God. He made some mistakes along the way, maybe, but like the disciple Peter he was a man of action who was prepared to face criticism and ridicule (I'm thinking of Peter walking on the water)in his walk with God. And it was well worth it!

11+ Practice Papers, Non-Verbal Reasoning Pack 2 (Multiple Choice): NVR Test 5, NVR Test 6, NVR Test 7, NVR Test 8 (The Official 11+ Practice Papers)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 12 Mar 2011
These are very good. I have tested all four papers, 5,6,7 & 8 out on myself and only found a couple or so questions that I thought were unfair(ambiguous, in my eyes). They are tricky, but GL assessment's eight non-verbal papers can provide ample practice. AFN seem slightly easier and may be a better starting point for some children, moving on to these later.

11+ Practice Papers, Verbal Reasoning Pack 2 (Multiple Choice): VR Test 5, VR Test 6, VR Test 7, VR Test 8 (The Official 11+ Practice Papers)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality preparation, 12 Mar 2011
If the four papers of pack 1 are not enough for you, here are another four, of the high standard you would expect from GL assessment/Letts/nfer (the names have changed but the papers in pack 1 had not over the years).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 19, 2011 4:20 PM BST

11+ Practice Papers, Maths Pack 2 (Multiple Choice): Maths Test 5, Maths Test 6, Maths Test 7, Maths Test 8 (The Official 11+ Practice Papers)

5.0 out of 5 stars At last!, 12 Mar 2011
The long-awaited pack 2 is here, and of the expected high standard.There has always been a shortage of good maths practice papers, compared to the other tests, and yet in my opinion, lack of preparation in maths can let a good potential grammar school student down. Verbal and non-verbal should be intuitive to a bright child; maths is different: you need the facts to have been taught well. These tests pick up the holes in a child's maths knowledge, so that those areas can be re-visited.

Colosseum
Colosseum

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, 24 Nov 2009
This review is from: Colosseum (Toy)
Our family loves this game, which was recommended to us by a game specialist shop in Canterbury. Aimed at adults and older children, I'd say.
The only rule we felt we had to ignore is that the person scoring the lowest points/coins in each of the first four levels is supposed to take a card of their choice from that round's winner, and some dirty tactics were being used by one member of our family, deliberately doing badly to steal a prized card! (the lightning bolt wild card, of which there are few, is very precious).
The actual winner is the highest scorer of the fifth and final round, when everyone puts on their big event.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 3, 2013 10:16 PM GMT