Profile for edbe > Reviews

Overcoming Depression : a Self-help Guide Using Cognitive Behavioral Techniques
Overcoming Depression : a Self-help Guide Using Cognitive Behavioral Techniques
by Prof Paul Gilbert

5.0 out of 5 stars Spread the word!, 12 Jun. 2009
First off, I've never been tempted to write a review for anything before. But this book can be so helpful, can make such a difference, that I feel morally obliged to spread the word (ridiculous, yep, but still true).

Buy this book. Please don't dismiss it as just another self-help manual full of empty maxims and irrelevent advice. I've read them, I've found them just as hopeless. Which is why I want to express what a revelation this book has been for me, and I say that as somebody who used to be sceptical of all treatments for depression. This book CAN help you. It does require you to work with it though, and there is so much covered that it may take a while - 4 months later and I'm still learning from mine. But simply having it as a safety net, knowing that if things go awry there is a reliable source of help I can always access, has genuinely transformed my experience of depression. It could do the same for you.

Even if a white coat hasn't tagged you as "depressed", or even if you think you're beyond help, the fact that you're reading this review is enough. I honestly believe anybody and everybody could learn about themselves from this book and emerge a more balanced, reassured individual. I can't say it anymore strongly than that, and so if you're even curious, please buy it. It's worth a shot and I honestly don't think you'll regret it - in fact, I think you might feel obliged to spread the word too.