Profile for Penny > Reviews

Content by Penny

Penny (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Becoming a Resonant Leader: Develop Your Emotional Intelligence, Renew Your Relationships, Sustain Your Effectiveness
by Annie Mckee

5.0 out of 5 stars A collection of powerful self-analysis exercises, 9 Jan 2014
DON'T buy this book if you're expecting to read through a book quickly and be told how to become a more successful leader.

DO buy this book if you are willing to reflect on what's important to you and on how others perceive you. The book takes time to go through.

DO buy this book is you want to understand more about yourself and how to become a more effective or 'resonant' leader. I had come across some of these exercises before but I still found this book incredibly useful.

Jewel Quest Expeditions (Nintendo DS)
Jewel Quest Expeditions (Nintendo DS)
Offered by filmrollen

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun: perfect for 10 to 15 minutes of fun at a time, 29 Jun 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
So much has already been written about this, but I wanted to add my two pence worth! The gameplay is very simple so anyone of just about any age can play. However, the gameplay is very tactical so it suits slightly older children up to adults such as myself. Very young children may be bored by it as there's not much by way of animation or voice acting. If you want to kill 15 minutes, you'd be hard pressed to find a better diversion. More fun than say Dr Kawashima, but I personally didn't find it as addicting as some games. It was [and still continues to be] great fun though.

Might & Magic: Clash Of Heroes (Nintendo DS)
Might & Magic: Clash Of Heroes (Nintendo DS)

5.0 out of 5 stars Not getting much sleep!, 28 Mar 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Now this game is addictive. I started it a week ago and am loving it! It takes a couple of hours to get into the game, to understand the mechanic. If you've played a game like Connect 4 or 'noughts and crosses', you can get to grips with this game - it's not difficult to understand. However, there are lots of subtle intricacies to master.

The game has an appropriate grade of difficulty. If you want to take on the more challenging matches, you can do that immediately. However, if you struggle with the tougher matches and need to build up your skill a little more, you can 'grind' by doing smaller battles first.

If you liked Puzzle Quest, you will LOVE this. A similar game mechanic and also lovely fantasy/RPG elements and customisation so you learn to love your little team! I am literally finding this game hard to put down and have been slightly sleep-deprived this last week because I end up playing about an hour past when I'm usually snoring away!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2011 1:30 PM GMT

More Brain Training with Dr. Kawashima. How Old is Your Brain
More Brain Training with Dr. Kawashima. How Old is Your Brain
Offered by SourceMediaUK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the brain!!, 10 Mar 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I gave this game only 3 stars for 'fun' but four stars overall because I think that sometimes it's important to do stuff that betters and improves us rather than just doing stuff that is always fun. I enjoy spending a few minutes on this every day (or most days) It can be quite an enjoyable way to while away a few minutes when you're commuting or waiting at the doctor's.

Bring on Brain Training 3!

Developing Mental Toughness 2e: Gold medal strategies for transforming your business performance
by Adrian Moorhouse

4.0 out of 5 stars A book that works!, 17 Jan 2010
A lot of self-helpy books are written by people with dubious qualifications but lead author Graham Jones has more qualifications than most poeple have had hot meals.

If you are interested in books about confidence, resilience, stress management techniques etc then this is a great book to add to your collection. There are plenty of 'Time-Out' boxes that invite you to engage in personal reflection, so if you're the kind of person who enjoys an interactive book, you will find this book useful.

My only minor complaints are that the book does go on a bit too much about the consultancy that these guys run and the work they've done. It felt a bit salesy, trying to convince the reader how good they are (which I felt was unnecessary given I'd bought the book!) The book, overall, is still a good solid read.

Final Fantasy IV (Nintendo DS)
Final Fantasy IV (Nintendo DS)
Offered by Game Gadgets

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and an improvement on FFIII, but not quite 5 stars, 6 Nov 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I played Final Fantasy III all the way through from beginning to end. As a result, I was really psyched to buy this game. On so many levels, FFIV is an improvement on FFIII. The spell system is both broader and deeper, allowing for many more variations and complexities to master.

The cast of characters changes continually, which helps to keep the game challenging in all senses of the word (it's a bit irritating at times that one of your team may depart just when you have spent lots of time grinding in dungeons to level them up, but at the same time it's quite fun because you keep getting new characters with different abilities to learn about and use).

The combat animations are much improved on FFIII too, with a variety of different angles so the combats don't feel so samey.

As I said, this game is a great improvement on so many levels. My reluctance to give it five stars stems from the fact that I actually didn't complete the game. Whereas I felt compelled to play FFIII (even taking it to work and being a total antisocial geek), I put FFIV down for a while and didn't seem to have the motivation to pick it up again. I don't know why, but I think that the improvements weren't quite enough to hold my attention for the whole game.

Brilliant Cognitive Behavioural Therapy: How to Use CBT to Improve Your Mind and Your Life (Brilliant Lifeskills)
by Dr Stephen Briers

4.0 out of 5 stars A genuinely helpful book if you are prepared to put in the work, 6 Nov 2009
I like the 'Brilliant' series because they are well laid out and the consistency of approach across them means that you know what you are getting. This is one of the strongest amongst the series that I've read.

The book provides excellent advice on managing what goes on inside our heads. I have long struggled with my confidence and I tend to take things quite personally, but this book provides a good reminder and some practical exercises for disentangling the situations we face and how we feel about them (and therefore how we feel about ourselves).

The book is also quite a fun read. The author has a light touch and seems to know what I was thinking, e.g. he recognised my scepticism when I felt sceptical! Is the author a psychologist or a psychic!? Some good cartoons which were entertaining but also appropriate too. The book is a good complement to a book on confidence (called 'Confidence' by Rob Yeung).

Body Language: 7 Easy Lessons to Master the Silent Language
Body Language: 7 Easy Lessons to Master the Silent Language
by James Borg

1.0 out of 5 stars What the ****?, 25 Sep 2009
I suspect that, like many people, I bought this book because I had read and enjoyed Persuasion (also by the author). Unfortunately, this book is not anywhere near as good as the brilliant Persuasion.

While I got the feeling that the author was speaking from solid personal experience in writing the Persuasion book, I felt that the author had written this book based only on desk research on concepts that he only partly grasped.

I'm very disappointed that I must give this book such a poor review.

Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth and Happiness
Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth and Happiness
by Richard H Thaler

3.0 out of 5 stars Some interesting ideas, but a bit laboured, 26 July 2009
This book has been heavily promoted in a certain large book chain that rhymes with 'Dorders' and had one of those little signs saying that the staff recommend it. There are a few good stories in here and some of the ideas are quite clever.

The book claims to explain how people can be influenced into making decisions almost without their awareness of it. The end result, however, was a little lacking in structure. I didn't feel that the ideas were put together in a way that made sense. Plus I have to admit that the book did feel a little like hard work quite a lot of the time - this felt like a book that was 'good for me' as opposed to a book that I wanted to read.

Affluenza
Affluenza
by Oliver James

1.0 out of 5 stars Promising cover - but downhill from there, 8 July 2009
This review is from: Affluenza (Paperback)
I bought the book because the book had a positive review from Jeremy Vine on the front cover. Did Jeremy not read the book before putting his name to it?

I read the first 20 to 30 pages believing that Oliver had a promising theory - that we are increasingly living lives that are becoming hollow due to consumerist and materialist pressures. That initial view, however, was tempered very quickly as I realised that Oliver has a couple of ideas that he wants to propagate. To save you the time from reading this book, these ideas are:
1) America is B A D. Everything to do with America is shallow. In fact, if you believe Oliver, foreign countries should cease trade and international relations with America if they are to survive.
2) The relationships you have with your parents is the single biggest contributor to your feelings of inadequacy. If you didn't have two loving parents who nurtured you with love and total kindness until you were into your early 20s, you are screwed. This is the kind of simplistic view that Oliver has.
3) Many manifestations of Americana (take Starbucks, for example) are also evil.

I could go on, but I don't see the point. By the time I'd got to page 100 or so, I was feeling uncomfortable with Oliver's style of writing - the way he simplistically reduces everything down in order to support his theories.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2009 4:19 PM GMT