Profile for M. W. Withnall > Reviews

Content by M. W. Withnall

M. W. Withnall (Shropshire England)

Solo: A James Bond Novel
Solo: A James Bond Novel
by William Boyd
Price: 4.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Bond is back just, 30 Sep 2013
I wanted to like this book and give it 5 stars, but in the end I do not think it is as good as I hoped it would be.
I think it is better than the ones written by Sebastian Faulks and Jefferey Deaver, but I think that the African section weakens the story. The meeting between Bond and M is weak, they were an important part of the Feming books and Boyd has wasted an opportunity here.
I am a Bond purist, and I think that the character belongs in the 1950's and 60's much like Sherlock Holmes belongs in the Victorian and Edwardian period,so I was really looking forward to reading this book. I know a number of people will disagree with this view, but this is just my opinion.
This book had the potential to be very good and in parts it is, remember even Fleming had a couple of weak Bond stories The Spy who loved me and The Man with the golden gun, but when he was on form he was unbeatable On her Majestys service was brilliant, I think that this book is better than the Spy who loved me, and possibly on par with The man with the Golden Gun. Again only my opinion.
Possibly if William Boyd has another try he MAY write a really good Bond book

Carte Blanche: A James Bond Novel (James Bond Novels)
Carte Blanche: A James Bond Novel (James Bond Novels)
by Jeffery Deaver
Price: 14.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed bag, 31 May 2011
This book is very much like the "curates egg" good in parts. I am a fan of Ian Fleming, and think , like Sherlock Holmes, Bond is set in a certain time, in his case the 50's and 60's.Sebastian Faulk's book worked better for me because of this, however his villian was weak, the best part of Carte Blanche is Hydt, who has elements of the Fleming villains.
Bond using ap's and iris recognition leaves me cold, and as one of the other reviewers said, there are too many Americanisms. Please set the next Bond book in the 50's or 60's it can work look at Craig Russels Lennox, these books are set in the mid 50s and are very good.
I looked forward to reading this book but feel a bit let down, it could have been good, give Sebastian Faulks another chance, I also feel this was written with a screenplay in mind, and for me appart from the first 3 I don't like the Bond films.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2011 1:33 AM BST

Now the Killing Starts
Now the Killing Starts
by Steve Cage
Price: 2.71

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 2 May 2011
This review is from: Now the Killing Starts (Paperback)
Do not buy this book it is poorly written, and in my opinion is tripe, gives British crime writing a bad name.

The Drop (David Blake 1)
The Drop (David Blake 1)
by Howard Linskey
Price: 6.39

5.0 out of 5 stars The new Ted Lewis, 2 May 2011
A great first novel, it reminded of Jacks return home (Get Carter)by Ted Lewis, and the early books of Mark Timlin. The story is fast moving and violent with great characters, and some twists and turns. I can't wait for his second novel, this is what the British crime scene needs, a new talent who can really put a story together.

Dark Blood
Dark Blood
by Stuart MacBride

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book yet, 30 April 2010
This review is from: Dark Blood (Hardcover)
I have just completed this book I bought it yesterday as soon as it was released, and in my opinion it is his best book yet. I think that DI Steel is one of the best creations in modern day crime fiction, the parts of the book to feature her character had some real laugh out loud moments.
I think that Stuart Mac Bride is one of, if not the best crime writer working in this country at the moment, buy this book if you like dark crime shot through with black humour, but if you are squeamish there are some extremly stong sections.

Devil May Care (James Bond)
Devil May Care (James Bond)
by Sebastian Faulks

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back Mr Bond, 29 May 2008
I purchased this at 11 yesterday morning and went to bed at 3 this morning. Forget Raymond Benson and John Gardner, this is vintage James Bond, you can feel Fleming's ghost over your shoulder, it reads like the best of his books with a fast moving plot bags,of gourmet food and drink with a cracking villain. I always liked the early Bond books never liked the films, the Bond in the books was toally different darker and more vulnerable, and if you are expecting the Bond of the movies you will be disappointed. Sebastian Faulks has captured this brilliantly. I hope he writes another, I think Bond does for the fifties and sixties what Sherlock Holmes has done for the Victorian and Edwardian age the early books are becoming classics (my old english teacher will role over in his grave)
Comment Comments (22) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 5, 2013 12:31 PM BST

Logan McRae (4) - Flesh House
Logan McRae (4) - Flesh House
by Stuart MacBride

5.0 out of 5 stars Hannibal Lector eat your heart out, 7 May 2008
This book is brilliant I thought his others were good but Stuart keeps getting better. They are dark and have a wry sense of humour running through them just follow some of the dialogue closely. The crime scene needs someting new and this is it, I have always been a big fan of Ian Rankin since he was the new kid on the block and if Stuart keeps producing books like this I think he will be as big as Ian Rankin, I realise that they are differwent style of writers but these bools bring something new to the genre as Ian Rankin did in his early days. A warning dont start reading this after you come home from work you will be up until 3 in the morning and then you will have nightmares

Bomber Boys: Fighting Back 1940-1945
Bomber Boys: Fighting Back 1940-1945
by Patrick Bishop

5.0 out of 5 stars Bomber Boys, 12 April 2007
I thought fighter Boys was excellent, this is as good, this book gives a human perspective to the men who flew every night over Germany in the second world war, they have been largley forgotten by history and of late unfairly maligned. I would not have been brave enough to do what they did night after night with apalling losses. I have had this book 3 days and have not put it down I cannot recommend it highly enough, if you are interested in well written history buy it !

The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters
The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters
by G.W. Dahlquist

5.0 out of 5 stars The Glass Books of the dream eaters, 27 Jan 2007
A tremendous book, the blurb says Sherlock Holmes meets Harry Potter its that and more. I think tha atmosphere is like one of those 1940s black and white movies with a modern twist . The characters are really differrent it reminded a bit of Sax Rhomer you expect Fu Manchu to step out. I thought the Vesuvius Club was good but this is far better.