Profile for Lesley Cookman > Reviews

Fairlights
Fairlights
Price: 1.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Romantic Suspense is back!, 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: Fairlights (Kindle Edition)
Jan Jones is a brilliant writer who should be better known than she is. Her debut novel, Stage by Stage, is still one of my favourite books, which I hope will be released eventually as an ebook. This book, Fairlights, as people have said before, is in the tradition of Mary Stewart and has everything - atmosphere, mystery and romance. A brilliant read, and highly recommended.

Silent as the Grave
Silent as the Grave
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 16 April 2014
I haven't read Bill's work before, but the blurb appealed to me and I'm so glad it did. Hugely enjoyable. Kept me up until after midnight.

Murder at Rutherford Hall (Rachel Markham Mystery Series Book 1)
Murder at Rutherford Hall (Rachel Markham Mystery Series Book 1)
Price: 1.92

3.0 out of 5 stars Use a UK Editor, 4 Dec 2013
I've never written a bad review in my life, but those of us who write British mysteries should stick together. I'm traditionally published, I'm also English, but that was no reason for not expecting this book to be a welcome addition to the canon. However, the anomalies of British society, language and era were intensely irritating. I would suggest perhaps using a British editor next time?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 4, 2014 7:38 AM GMT

An Enormously English Monsoon Wedding
An Enormously English Monsoon Wedding
Price: 5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect book!, 14 Nov 2013
All Christina Jones' books are wonderful - I re-read them all - but this among the best. Terrific, warm, characters and an honest exploration of the difficulties of marriage between two cultures - and the benefits. I loved it and didn't want it to end.

Morphy Richards Accents 48703 Sear and Stew Slow Cooker - Black
Morphy Richards Accents 48703 Sear and Stew Slow Cooker - Black
Price: 24.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Best slow cooker ever., 9 Oct 2013
I've had several slow cookers over the years. I still use my original one over Christmas, but it's too big for everyday use, so I've bought smaller ones from time to time with varying success. This one is great - not only because it won't break if I drop it in the sink - but because it can be used on the hob and in the oven. The heat settings are just right, too; my last one lifted the lid off when on the "low" setting. So thanks, Morphy Richards.

Move Over Darling
Move Over Darling
by Christine Stovell
Price: 5.85

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of Romantic Fiction, 12 Jun 2013
This review is from: Move Over Darling (Paperback)
We've waited a long time for Chris Stovell's second book, but it was worth the wait. It's pure romantic fiction, the very best sort. Reviews which say "I never expect much of chic-lit" - what on earth did you buy it for, then? I'm very fussy about the romantic fiction I read (not much of it, actually) but Chris is up there with the very best.

The Devil's Ribbon: 2 (Hatton & Roumande)
The Devil's Ribbon: 2 (Hatton & Roumande)
Price: 4.19

5.0 out of 5 stars The very best of Victorian crime fiction, 20 April 2013
After I'd read and admired Devoured, the first in the series, I was lucky enough to receive a review copy of The Devil's Ribbon from the author. Beautifully written, it feels as though D E Meredith actually lives alongside her characters, and her research is mind-boggling. The wait for number three has been far too long!

Devoured (Hatton & Roumande Mystery 1) (A Hatton and Roumande Mystery)
Devoured (Hatton & Roumande Mystery 1) (A Hatton and Roumande Mystery)
by D.E Meredith
Price: 10.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Research and a fascinating story, 31 Dec 2012
I read this book some time ago, and have just been reminded how good it is. The research is impeccable, the writing, somehow, bautifully within period. Denyse deals with relatively unexplored areas of Victorian life in both this and The Devil's Ribbon and leaves the reader with a strong appetite for more in the series.

A Tricky Lie (Sutherland Mystery Series)
A Tricky Lie (Sutherland Mystery Series)
Price: 0.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable start for a series, 30 Dec 2012
This title popped up as a recommendation while I was buying something else, and though I'm wary of self published titles, the premise intrigued me. Far better written and edited than most, I immediately bought the second in the series after finishing the first, and look forward to the third. I was also interested to see the author lives in the US, but there is no contact form on her rather bare website, which is a pity, as, being a fellow mystery author, I would have liked to get in touch.

Up Close (Choc Lit)
Up Close (Choc Lit)
Price: 2.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Edge of the seat chiller!, 9 Dec 2012
This is definitely not romantic fiction. It belongs far more to the crime genre - more suspense than romantic. An excellent debut novel that I read in almost one sitting, pausing only to watch The Killing III for a couple of hours! Beautifully constructed and a terrific opening, not to mention a wonderful, evocative cover.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4