Profile for Neil Beetham > Reviews

Neil Beetham (UK)

Wake Up The Nation
Wake Up The Nation

5.0 out of 5 stars Never review after one listen........, 20 April 2010
This review is from: Wake Up The Nation (Audio CD)
I`m a massive Weller fan and would probably buy an album made up of experimental flutalance noises should he ever release such a thing. Not a good start for a review I know, however after reading many 5 star reviews I approached this album expecting it to carry on where 22 Dreams left off. I did`nt expect what I found; on first listen a lot of the songs seemed unfininshed and almost improvised, and I found some of them very challenging to listen to. But this is the point, a lot of this album is improvised and after a few listens I could rid my preconceptions and enjoy what was going on. I cannot wait to see and hear these songs grow as they are performed live (Aim High Shoot Low performed on Jools Holland was simply superb)which is where Weller excells. Whether it is the "finest thing he has done so far" is a very subjective statement. Personally I love his guitar playing (especially his lead stuff), something he dose`nt seem to do as much these days (good job I like Craddock too then!) and you aint going to here much on this album either. But you do get an album made up of predominantly excellent tunes with a smattering of abstract moments.....where to next?