Profile for Bev > Reviews

Samsung M3 1TB USB 3.0 Slimline Portable Hard Drive - Black
Samsung M3 1TB USB 3.0 Slimline Portable Hard Drive - Black
Price: 47.97

1.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Drive Manager just crashes, 17 Jun 2014
The Drive Manager shuts down as soon as I try to perform a backup so I'm unable to use it. I haven't been able to get any answers by searching for a solution online.

AFO Flying Disc
AFO Flying Disc

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic toy. Should be in every toy shop in the country., 13 May 2013
This review is from: AFO Flying Disc (Toy)
My son got one of these for Christmas, and its been fantastic. It flies high and far, in a beautiful graceful motion that the kids love. If the wind catches it, then it can cover a considerable distance, so its definitely recommended for a wide open space, free of trees.

It's light, so won't hurt if it hits anyone. It's strong, so has survived many a scrum as the kids play 'whoever catches it first gets the next turn'.

My son, who is 6, likes to play with it on our local green space after school. If I forget to bring it we have to walk home and fetch it. He loves the fact that the toy is a magnet for all his friends who want to join in the game.

I'm now buying another for my older son's 9th birthday, as he loves it too but at the moment he doesn't get a look in.

It's versatile too. You can spin it on the floor or a wall indoors. My 6-year old has just discovered that if he walks into the wind with the disc on his hand it will rotate. He also loves to tell anyone who'll listen about the day he dropped it, it was caught by the wind, and rolled right across the Green for at least 300m.

I think I'll be getting a few more as presents, as lots of people have been asking where we got it, but we couldn't find it in our local toy shop. Thank goodness for Amazon!

Greetings Card Notecards - Dizzysaurus - Pack of 6 Mixed Cards With Envelopes
Greetings Card Notecards - Dizzysaurus - Pack of 6 Mixed Cards With Envelopes
Offered by IONA
Price: 3.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice cards, poor promotion, 17 Jan 2013
I love these cards, and would have bought more if I'd been able to access the "buy 4 get 1 free" promotion that was advertised. It was very hard to work out which packs were included in the promotion. In the end I found just 3 packs that I liked which were explicitly labelled as part of the deal. To make up the 5 packs I tried to order 1+2+2 of those three designs. The discount should have been applied at the final checkout, but it wasn't, so I gave up and only ordered 2 packs in the end. A bit of a let-down, and wasted quite a lot of time.

Mighty Bright XtraFlex2 Light (Silver) + Mighty Bright AC Mains Adaptor
Mighty Bright XtraFlex2 Light (Silver) + Mighty Bright AC Mains Adaptor
Offered by The Quilted Bear Ltd
Price: 28.87

3.0 out of 5 stars Great product, not such a great deal from this seller, 30 Sep 2012
I love these lights, but why is the combined package of light+adaptor more expensive (29.18) than buying the light (15.18) and the adaptor (9.89) separately from the same seller (Quilted Bear)?

I realise I could just vote with my feet and order them separately, but I'm buying them as presents so want the items to arrive in a single parcel.

The Magic School Bus - All Dried Up And 3 Other Episodes [DVD]
The Magic School Bus - All Dried Up And 3 Other Episodes [DVD]
Dvd ~ The Magic School Bus

5.0 out of 5 stars Here is a list of the episodes:, 3 Oct 2011
Its frustrating that the product description doesn't list the episodes on the DVD. Here they are:
All Dried Up
Blows Its Top
Flexes Its Muscles
Butterfly and the Bog Beast

We haven't actually watched them yet, so the 5-star rating is based on other Magic Schoolbus episodes that we've seen, which have all been fantastic for my curious little 5-year-old. He's learnt so much from them, and his 7-year-old brother loves them too.

COG Smart Boxes - Professor Ein-O Bubble Science
COG Smart Boxes - Professor Ein-O Bubble Science

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 21 Jun 2011
The kit contains a few bubble wands of different size and a few straws, and invites you to experiment with them. The problem is that the instructions are really poor. For instance it says you can use the straws to blow bubbles within bubbles but doesn't tell you how. We tried experimenting to see if we could do it but couldn't work it out. Also, it provides triangular and square bubble wands. The children get excited when they see these and expect to be able to blow triangular and square bubbles, but in fact they produce circular bubbles, just like the circular wand. That is presumably the scientific observation that we are meant to make, but it would be nice to have some simple explanatory text for why that is the case so that parents can easily answer their children's questions (and handle their disappointment). Finally, the bubble mixture supplied with the kit wasn't very good, and we ended up using our own, as we were otherwise not able to produce the larger bubbles.

Trampoline Elastic - 5.2 metres of 10mm thick stretchy rope bungy cord
Trampoline Elastic - 5.2 metres of 10mm thick stretchy rope bungy cord
Offered by ARGOSYTOYS home delivery service UK and Worldwide. Established 1947.
Price: 17.97

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 28 April 2011
I expected to receive an elastic exactly like the existing one in my TP Junior Trampoline, i.e. red, with little fastenings on the end so that it could be joined using the existing fittings. However, what I received was a piece of white elastic, and although it seemed to be the correct thickness, it just had frayed ends, and had obviously been cut off a coil. I have no idea how I would have secured the ends after threading through the trampoline, and as it was the wrong colour it certainly wouldn't have restored my trampoline to its original appearance (important, as I hope to sell it on in the future when my children have outgrown it). I returned it for a full refund, and, to their credit Argosytoys processed this promptly and efficiently. Instead I ordered the elastic I needed directly from TP, and it is red with the correct fastenings.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 6, 2014 10:40 PM BST

Coloma Blackboard with Trestle
Coloma Blackboard with Trestle

2.0 out of 5 stars Item not as pictured or described, 18 April 2011
The blackboard I got didn't have letters and numbers on it. It had flowers and a princess logo, and its legs were white and pink rather than blue and yellow. My two boys weren't too impressed by that, and neither was I (not that I mind a few flowers, but I was hoping the alphabet pictures may have helped my 4-year-old with his writing). It was too much bother to return it, so we're using it anyway, but potential future buyers beware!

Monsters: An Owner's Guide
Monsters: An Owner's Guide
by Jonathan Emmett

5.0 out of 5 stars Original and witty. My boys loved it., 16 Mar 2011
My 4-year old son found this in the library, and we both loved it. It made us laugh, and the rhyming text flows beautifully. My 7 year-old son loved it too, and we all enjoyed reading it together, and studying the pictures. Now I am buying a copy for a friend's birthday present, because books like this one are for sharing!

Humanism: A Beginner's Guide (Beginner's Guides)
Humanism: A Beginner's Guide (Beginner's Guides)
by Peter Cave
Price: 7.99

1.0 out of 5 stars I didn't get beyond Chapter 2, 23 May 2010
I'm a Humanist, and bought this book to learn more about Humanism. However, the author's writing style was dreadfully pompous, and I abandoned it after a couple of chapters. His sentences were unnecessarily verbose, and his points were not clearly made. I found myself re-reading paragraphs to try to interpret the meaning of their language (never mind their philosophy!) It may be useful to some as a philosophical or academic text, but it is definitely not an accessible guide for beginners.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 13, 2010 11:37 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2