Profile for Rennie > Reviews

Kirstie's Homemade Home
Kirstie's Homemade Home
by Kirstie Allsopp

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and comforting, 2 Dec. 2010
For years and years The Gentle Art of Domesticity has been my all over favorite home comfort book. I wouldn't exchange it for any other. Kirstie Allsopp's book is my second choice. Similar yet different. Informative and nicely illustrated, but less personal, it offers some concise advice on domestic arts like decorating a cake and crochet, and it is nicely illustrated. I would certainly offer it as present.
I have reviewed the book with photos here:
[...]

Mini Shopaholic: (Shopaholic Book 6)
Mini Shopaholic: (Shopaholic Book 6)
by Sophie Kinsella

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect Christmastime read, 2 Dec. 2010
I absolutely enjoyed this book. I have read some and now I am leaving some more for the Christmas holidays (you know, when you pretend to be stuffed and go to your room to escape the annoying questioning of some relatives?) Well , that's what I bought this book for. Pure, unadulterated Kinsella, flowing, witty writing. A holiday ,must!

Wild Designs
Wild Designs
by Katie Fforde

5.0 out of 5 stars Just perfect, 1 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Wild Designs (Paperback)
Oh that woman, Althea, had me siting on the edge of my chair/bed for hours of pleasurable, hearty reading. Next on my list The Rose Revived. Thank you Ms. Fforde!

Handmade Nation: The Rise of DIY, Art, Craft, and Design
Handmade Nation: The Rise of DIY, Art, Craft, and Design
by Faythe Levine

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not special, 6 Feb. 2010
There has certainly been a revolution in business in the recent years. Small based entrepreneurs have created niche markets for themse;ves and their friends, and this is a good thing. This book showcases such pioneers.If you are interested in the indie community, you may have seen their websites already. What the book does is bringing together some of these people and their work.
However, it does not offer anything more substantial than what you would find in Etsy profiles, for example. There isn't any work put in assessing the "why" and the "how" behind these people and their business. In that, the book disappoints. It is useful if you want an introduction to the indie scene in the States.

Modern Family Gardens (Exterior Angles)
Modern Family Gardens (Exterior Angles)
by Caroline Tilston

5.0 out of 5 stars The one, 6 Feb. 2010
If you are looking for a book that will give you not just beautiful pictures but detailed and concrete ideas about the different possible options while you create your dream garden , this is it. It covers all sizes and treats them with equal care and interest. It offers concrete plans and points out the things that make each one special. It also offers advice on specific plants that you may want to use. All in all, a great book.

Harper's Bazaar Fabulous at Every Age
Harper's Bazaar Fabulous at Every Age
by Nandini D'Souza

2.0 out of 5 stars High hopes, poor results, 6 Feb. 2010
I love Harper's Bazaar and i never miss an issue. However, this book is short even of an ordinary magazine article. I couldn't believe my eyes when I read through it. It's as if photos and words were randomly put together by interns and trainees. Even then it would have been better. I am not returning it because of the high shipping costs. I shall be giving it away to someone without a fashion sense at all. Otherwise, get the magazine instead.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2010 6:30 PM BST

Easy Elegance: Creating a Relaxed, Comfortable and Stylish Home
Easy Elegance: Creating a Relaxed, Comfortable and Stylish Home
by Atlanta Bartlett

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, not excellent, 6 Feb. 2010
I like the author's deco style. This time i think she went with the times and she gave us a mix of styles that go around the blogosphere and recycle themselves. Nice photography but not much substance and inspiration. Plus, my copy was shattered. If it weren't for the shipping costs I would have returned it.

French Women For All Seasons: A Year of Secrets, Recipes & Pleasure: A Year of Secrets, Recipes and Pleasure
by Mireille Guiliano

5.0 out of 5 stars On my bedside table, 6 Feb. 2010
Having read the authors' classics, I was hesitant to buy this one. If you are thinking about it, go on and buy it. I have the hardcover edition, and I have it next to me. There is always something new, something inspiring to learn from her pages. It is friendly and informative. I love the way it is divided, because we too change with the seasons and we have different needs and desires. All in all a lovely ladies' read!

Women, Work & the Art of Savoir Faire: Business Sense & Sensibility
Women, Work & the Art of Savoir Faire: Business Sense & Sensibility
by Mireille Guiliano

4.0 out of 5 stars A Keeper, 6 Feb. 2010
As the author puts it, I wish I had this book ten years earlier in my life, but still I have alot to learn and put into practice. It is very informative and upbeat but not in a bitchy way. I am giving it to my daughters after I read it myself.

The Gentle Art of Domesticity
The Gentle Art of Domesticity
by Jane Brocket

5.0 out of 5 stars Free Women, 22 Oct. 2007
First, this is a beautiful book. Optimistic and inspiring.It is not a manifesto but rather a testimony to a new generation of women who are clever and educated, yet refuse to be part of the rat race, accept their female nature and are exploring it.
A must have for young women who are about to get into the domestic life-no guilt, no pressure, as well as for the 30something and the 40somethings. There is still time to enjoy your families if only you let yourselves enjoy them amd your life.