Profile for George W. Barker > Reviews

Content by George W. Barker

George W. Barker "wildsurfer57" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Canon Digital SLR Camera EOS 5D Mark II
Canon Digital SLR Camera EOS 5D Mark II

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Allround Camera, 25 April 2011
I have been using a Canon 7D for almost a year and bought a 5D MkII a couple months ago. Although fairly similar in functions, I can only hope that the talked about 5D MkIII will incorporate some of the features of the 7D such as the 19 point autofocus system and a faster continuous shooting speed. However, I must say that unless I need the 8 fps, I now almost always use the 5D MkII because it is such a wonderful camera, it works well under low light and high ISO settings, and when shooting below 3200 ISO will have almost no noise. Even if I need to considerably crop a photo then end results shows virtually no noise. Therefore without hesitation I would highly recommend this camera (while keeping a 7D as a second).

Nikon D90 Digital SLR Camera with 18-105mm VR Lens Kit (12.3MP) 3 inch LCD
Nikon D90 Digital SLR Camera with 18-105mm VR Lens Kit (12.3MP) 3 inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Choice, 27 Jun 2010
I was torn between the Nikon D90 and the Canon 550D. I have been using Canon Poweshot cameras for many years, most recently a G9 and wanted to upgrade. Prior to Digital cameras I had owned a Leica M3 and several Nikon FE's, all of which took quality pictures. After consulting with some professional photographer friends I realised that the Nikon D90 is the best choice. In fact according to my friends there is no comparison. The D90 and is actually equivalent to the Canon 50D and not the 500D or 550D as many people seem to think. What I really liked about the D90 is it's feel of quality, the sensation of quality when I push the shutter release button, the natural colours as opposed to the exagerated colours of the Canon and it's heavier weight. My conclusion, for compact digital cameras I would go for Canon, but only a G9, G10 or G11, but for DSLR's I would always choose a Nikon.

Forest Show
Forest Show
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!, 26 July 2009
This review is from: Forest Show (Audio CD)
I was given this CD by a good Taiwanese friend a few years ago but never really listened to it until just now. It's absolutely fantastic. With the sound of trickling water and tropical birds chirping it really takes you away from reality. The songs are just incredible making this "world music" album one of my favorites. There...I've said it.

Larry & Lee
Larry & Lee

2.0 out of 5 stars A Natural Sleeping Tablet?, 14 May 2008
This review is from: Larry & Lee (Audio CD)
Finally I have discovered this natural non toxic alternative to helping me to sleep, guaranteed to work in 5 minutes. I am a terrific fan of early Carlton from his days with the Crusaders to the first 3 or 4 of his solo albums. Similarly with Ritenour his early albums were also great. What this album lacks is not only excitement and energy but also good music. Take away the solos and each song is bland and pointless with absolutely no feeling. Then add the solos and it becomes an excercise for these two guitarists to play their usual fill-ins and jazzy riffs and scales very toned down to the point of being boring. It sounds like session backing music minus the singing or saxaphone solo or keyboard solo, totally disappointing.

Songs Of Leonard Cohen
Songs Of Leonard Cohen
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 5.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting!, 13 Sep 2007
This review is from: Songs Of Leonard Cohen (Audio CD)
Let's face it. Leonard Cohen was (or is?) a fantastic songwriter. Like so many poets of the 60's and 70's eras he can't sing, but that never stopped him. However, a word of warning, please remove any razor blades from the vicinity when listening to this album and do make sure you are not feeling depressed when listening as the results might be catastrophic.

Moving Waves
Moving Waves
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 13 Sep 2007
This review is from: Moving Waves (Audio CD)
I really cannot comprehend why some of you dare to slag off Focus. They were one of the most original and exciting bands to have come out of the 70's and the skill level of each musician is pretty much unrivalled. I mean there you are picking the songs to pieces when in fact the music was cleverer and more exciting than other so called mega bands such as Genesis and Camel and Jethro Tull. And if they are not categorised as progressive rock, who cares? I think they created wonderful music and exhibited amazing originality and actually this album is one of the classics of the 70's. So just stop picking them to bits and accept that this is a brilliant album.

And as for Hocus Pocus, yes it is up there with the greats like Stairway to Heaven, Radar Love, All Right Now etc.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2012 9:30 PM BST

The Last Samurai [DVD] [2003]
The Last Samurai [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Tom Cruise
Price: 2.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 14 Nov 2006
This is a jolly good movie and I must have seen it about 20 times so far. Every time I watch it, it makes me cry. I'm not a wimp. The music is wonderful and I just bought the cd. The acting is great, but I wonder why Billy Connolly was not nominated for an Oscar. Tom should have been nominated but I suppose being the highest paid actor in the world makes up for never being nominated. The film is historically inaccurate but nevertheless a beautiful story with lots of info about the samurai. The ending is great and made me cry again. Ok so maybe I am a wimp.

Canon PowerShot S80 Digital Camera [8MP, 3.6 x Optical Zoom]
Canon PowerShot S80 Digital Camera [8MP, 3.6 x Optical Zoom]

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 14 Nov 2006
This is my third Canon digital camera and by far the best. I don't like Sony but if Canon didn't exist I supoose I'd buy a Sony. This camera is fast. It also transfers the photos superfast to my laptop. It's a bit chunky but I like that. Picture quality is excellent. The controls are well thought out and easy to use. Thanks you Canon.

Live From Austin, Texas [DVD] [2008]
Live From Austin, Texas [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Eric Johnson
Price: 12.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Eric the Great, 14 Nov 2006
Well I first heard of Eric Johnson back in the early eighties when he played on Christopher Cross's first album. I was blown away by his fluidity and originality and of course his tone. I still like his early stuff. In those days he was a studio guitarist and rated the best by other guitarists in the States. If you admire Satriani and Vai and appreciate true virtuosa then you'll love Johnson. Guitarists like Gary Moore could learn an awful lot from the likes of Johnson and especially Satch.

Life on the Line
Life on the Line
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 12.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Classic, 3 April 2006
This review is from: Life on the Line (Audio CD)
I first bought this album in the seventies when it first came out on vinyl. I cannot overestimate the brilliance of it. The sound is ageless, the songs superb and the guitar playing of Graham Douglas is breathtaking. What a difference he makes to the songs. This is a fast paced, pulse racing album of incredibly powerful songs jam packed full of powerful guitar riffs by Douglas. This guy is so good. I am a guitar player and Douglas makes this album for me. It is a classic and will definitely get your adrenalin racing. Don't bother with their other albums. Yes I listen to Satriani, Vai and all the others, but I would consider this as a guitarists album too because Graham Douglas' fills and solos are perfect.

Page: 1 | 2