Profile for Brooke Tempest > Reviews

Content by Brooke Tempest

Brooke Tempest "Brooke Tempest" (Sussex, UK)

Emotions Revealed: Understanding Faces and Feelings
Emotions Revealed: Understanding Faces and Feelings
by Paul Ekman

3.0 out of 5 stars too few pictures, 5 April 2010
For a book on understanding emotions, especially micro-expressions, you'd think it would be packed with pictures. - Well, it isn't. They are sparsely grouped throughout the book. It's almost as if the author wants you to be left needing more... from his online learning site perhaps?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 7, 2011 12:38 PM BST

Command & Conquer: Generals - Deluxe Edition (Mac)
Command & Conquer: Generals - Deluxe Edition (Mac)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!, 5 July 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
My 11 year old son and I (a youthful 46) love it. We were great fans of Total Annihilation and lament how hard it is to play now it's so old.

This misses much of the RTS delights of TA and it's ability to orchestrate major campaigns - this needs much more micro management. It also lacks ships which is a shame.

But as much as I dream of a WWII version of TA (someone please?!!!!), this game is great fun and well worth wasting time on.

IRISCard Mini 4
IRISCard Mini 4

1.0 out of 5 stars It was so frustrating I returned it., 5 July 2009
This review is from: IRISCard Mini 4 (CD-ROM)
This product claims to capture information from business cards totally accurately. I tried it on my Mac and PC and the results were similar.

The capture speed was acceptable, but it only read about 70% of the information, often omitting the contact or company name. 50% of the information then had to be cut and pasted into different fields as they were in the wrong place. I then had to add the missing data manually.

The product claims to support cards from 217 countries, yet it believes the UK has Zip Codes and would always omit the space in the middle of the code. It also thinks we have States, not Counties, and would rarely place that data in the right field. We don't have that may counties. Is it really too much trouble to recognise and place them accurately?

The batch scanning facility from my own scanner failed to work from either my Mac or PC.

By the time I'd scanned cards, hit the 'process button' to turn the scan into data, corrected the data, added the missing data manually and then transfered this information to Outlook / Address Book, I was deeply frustrated.

In the end I felt it was less frustrating to type card information straight into Outlook. - I may yet try CardScan at twice the price.

Follow Your Bliss: The Joseph Campbell Wisdom Deck
Follow Your Bliss: The Joseph Campbell Wisdom Deck
by Joseph Campbell
Edition: Cards

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 15 Nov 2008
If you're hoping, like I was, to use these cards like angel or guidance cards you may be very disappointed. The cards are beautifully presented in an elegant and clever box that also acts as a display stand for a card of your choice. I'm a big fan of Joseph Campbell and his work has been an inspiration to me. I was really hoping that the beauty and eloquence of his wisdom would be captured in this deck; also in a way that would offer the potential for daily reminders or guidance. However, I found the chosen quotations to be some of his most complex and the choice almost like a game of academic one-upmanship. If you'd like the cards for this purpose you may be thrilled. At this price I'm reluctantly sending mine back.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 28, 2009 4:02 PM GMT