Profile for S. J. Royle > Reviews

Great Value!

Up All Night
Up All Night

1.0 out of 5 stars Paul Simon rip off!, 13 April 2009
This review is from: Up All Night (Audio CD)
Yes this song is catchy but anyone with any musical taste that listens to a lot of music will recognise that basically the first few bars are Paul Simon's "Cecilia" and then just before the chorus kicks in it then pinches a completely different Paul Simon song called " 50 ways to leave your lover" the melody is identical! So they have basically fused two songs together! That's why is sounds half decent! :¨)

The Boy's Heart
The Boy's Heart

4.0 out of 5 stars very very good!, 24 Mar. 2007
This review is from: The Boy's Heart (Audio CD)
Been a big fan of Martin Stephenson since 1991. Only really got into this album over the last couple of months. It kind of slipped under the radar but i really love it now i have listened to it a few times. I really like the production quality of the CD, it sounds quite raw like a real band playing as so many of his CD's do. Its got a great flow to the songs with a good balance of light and shade and really rocks out especially at the end, i thoroughly recommend it i think it is consistent all the way through.

The Unforgettable Fire
The Unforgettable Fire
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuine Masterpiece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 18 Dec. 2004
This review is from: The Unforgettable Fire (Audio CD)
The year was 1984, I was 14 year obsessed with the sound of the Beatles, I wouldn't listen top anything else until I heard the new U2 album that my sister had just bought on tape. It was for me how everyone must have felt when hearing Sgt Pepper for time in the sixties. I was blown away with this new sound and I had never heard anything like it before. It feels like a concept album to me and although songs such as Pride sound good as singles, I think they sound better in the context of the album, if you know what I mean. It actually sounds like an album rather then a collection of songs. It's a complete listening experience. It has this warm intimate spiritual feel to it. At times it's intense, building to a soaring crescendo (bad) at times it's fractured and dizzy (Elvis Presley and America) and at times just achingly beautiful (Promenade) Bonos voice roars wrapping words, metaphors against a texture of sound and landscapes, the finale being the haunting MLK. I think there are good albums and then there are few albums that transend anything else and for me of all the U2 albums (The Joshua Tree running very close!) this is one of them. for me its a majestic piece of art. I love the new U2 stuff but can you imagine you clumsy lyrics of ..mole in a hole..(elevation) sitting at the sanme table as UF? nah!!!!

October
October
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Rejoice!, 18 Dec. 2004
This review is from: October (Audio CD)
October is the sound of a young U2 finding their feet and sound.Its not perfect, but that kinda adds to its charm. Some times it rocks out with its religious punk undertones and loses it way a bit, but that hardly seem to matter. I still find engaging to listen to. There is a lovely melancholy feel to the album, perfectly summed up by the title track. No matter how good the newer albums are and how many the sell, i doubt they will include have a piece of music as delicate, as profound, as achingly beautiful as the title track to October.

Cinerama: Get Up And Go [DVD]
Cinerama: Get Up And Go [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tim Middlewick
Offered by digitalmediadistribution

1.0 out of 5 stars Get Up and Leave!, 26 Nov. 2004
Lets get one thing straight, i adore cinerama/WP. Please read my review of "This is Cinerama" for evidence of that.
This however is tosh. Its so bad its good! I sat shaking my head in disbelief. The previous video "*punk" was very good Dave doing what he is best at i.e playing live, end of story!
This tries to be a sort of documentary which drives you insane with its annoying dated production techniques. Know the pop video technique where you zoom throught the streets of a city at a million miles an hour? well you get this not just once but several times as the band go in the van from gig to gig. Then we are riveted by the site of the band setting up their equipment NOT! Things start to look up when they start to play live, but alas, we then get slow dowm images and the sound reverts to the CD version of the song or even another song which is pointless and very irritating. The best bit however is when Dave takes us though is record collection. It has to be seen to be believed! It actually films him putting on the most obscure records you could imagine. Try an album full of different countries national anthems for starters! :¨)
I have never seen such a poorly produced video, some of it left me severely embarrased
I hate critising Dave because i love his music so much. But its a bit like a girl that loves her boyfriend but still tells him he looks an idiot when he dances, Well this is me telling Dave to get off the dancefloor!

Free Me
Free Me
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars emmas gem!!, 13 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Free Me (Audio CD)
well i wouldnt usually touch chart stuff with a barge pole! i certainly wouldnt have bought a spice girl record and i would rather be hung drawn and quartered before listening to our geri and victoria. My music taste extends from the BLUR to BACHARACH. MORRISSEY to MOZART fair to say i am passionatte about it! So i know talent when i see/hear it. There is more to Emma Bunton then you think. I bought the last album a couple of weeks back and i was knocked back by how solid it was. The new album is just as good. The first 3 tracks (all singles)are all perfect pop music, if they has the name kylie on them they would have all got to no 1 , I bet yer! she mixes 60's kitsch, with mowtown, bacharach and a little bit of Emma in there to come out with a strong fresh vibrant album that i cant stop listening to. its well produced featuring, strings, acoustic guitars, flutes, tambourines, yes real instruments and oh..err..melodies..so r& b fans might find it a bit overwhelming!! Buy it it really is that good, and yes i mean it!!!

Bad Vibes
Bad Vibes
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars A Time Bomb Masterpiece!!!!!!!!, 15 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Bad Vibes (Audio CD)
I have had this cd for ten years and never really liked it, apart from the wonderful song Mr Wrong. Like most Lloyd Cole and the commotions fans i loved Rattlesnakes and in fact all of the 3 albums. I fell in love with the jangly guitars, catchy tunes and moody lyrics. And i suppose you all always look for those traits in their solo work, but of course an artist has to change direction otherwise they would ending writing Rattlesnakes abeit with another title. When i listen his solo work i was often looking for those virtues but obviously Lloyd had moved on from that peroid. One reviewer described BAD VIBES has having sneaked under his radar, which is completely true! its took me TEN years but after recently playing it over the last couple of months i happen to think that it is his finest most consistent SOLO album. Hopefully you will not have to wait that long to appreciate it! Think of this as Lloyds vintage wine!. Its a grower! I have every Lloyd Cole album and this is the one alongside the wondefull ETC that i play most.

This Is Cinerama
This Is Cinerama

4.0 out of 5 stars This Is Cinerma, 12 Feb. 2003
This review is from: This Is Cinerama (Audio CD)
Hey! Aren’t budget albums full of b-sides and remixes supposed to fill a gap for the dedicated fan whilst waiting for the next official release?
Well This is Cinerama certainly is not!
Va Va Voom was an excellent debut for Mr Gedge under the repackaged name of Cinerama, but I think This is Cinerama, goes even one better
In fact I would go so far to say that’s it’s actually the best Cinerama album up to and including the latest release Torino.
Its frothy, sweet, easy on the ear, full of jangly guitars and packed full of great melodies.
It even rocks out and has some fun now and again, only to be reined back in by a more considered sketch or an instrumental, so there is depth as well as throwaway pop in the mix.
Love is delightful, Aur Pair is just gorgeous, Mr Kiss Bang Bang rocks and Pacific is just sublime.
It makes Disco Volante, the official release after Va Va Voom sound almost dull and lack lustre. I know which album I would rather listen to when I feel like a slice of Cinerama.
If you only get one Cinerama album buy This Is Cinerama it’s a gem believe me!