Profile for Fishman > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Four Paws Allens Compact Pooper Scooper
Four Paws Allens Compact Pooper Scooper

1.0 out of 5 stars Not replacing it AGAIN!, 3 Jan. 2014
Don't waste your money, read the other negative reviews.

The third one has just broken and a relatives has recently done the same, so that is FOUR. There is a weakness in the design of the part of the handle that you lift to open the jaws. The plastic is of such poor quality it breaks due to the constant stress put on it by the strong spring for the jaw mechanism.

This needs a redesign as it is fundamentally flawed. Avoid.

A Home on the Rolling Main
A Home on the Rolling Main
by A G F Ditcham

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 16 Aug. 2013
I've read a fair number of WWII books from the viewpoint of both allied and axis infantryman, tankman, airman and submariner. I was missing surface ships, in particular I wanted a British destroyer.

Sadly, this isn't the book that I was expecting. It is a tedious read, probably one for naval historians rather than the casual WWII reader. A few bits of life on-board but not enough to hold my interest. Very little in the way of contact reports, a couple of notable exchanges of course, but they are only very briefly covered in a couple of page turns.

Most of the time it appears that the author was either bored on watch or in dock with the ship getting a boiler clean, again. Then when on land, in a club, hunting or training.

If you are a historian or RN from that period then some obscure detail and names dropped might be useful to you. The score would have been worse had it not been for the excellent photographs. There are also some examples of obvious repetition that should have been caught by the editor.

I'll continue my search.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 3, 2014 10:32 PM BST

Call of Duty: Black Ops II [Standard edition] (PC DVD)
Call of Duty: Black Ops II [Standard edition] (PC DVD)
Offered by Zeto UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Like watching a third-rate action film., 9 Dec. 2012
A single player perspective:

The game is good when you manage to use the keyboard/mouse for more than a minute between very lengthy cut-scenes, cut-scenes where you get zero interaction and few chances to skip. You'll be pounding the keyboard and clicking the mouse buttons for minutes at a time looking for a way out. Developers listen up, if I don't want to follow the story, give me a SKIP function right at the START of the cut-scene.

I got bored of sitting back waiting for those precious few moments where I could actually PLAY. Then you get your moment and...it's over...back to another cut-scene...yawn...

The CoD games have been getting worse for this at every release. I'll give it three stars for the quality in the bits of the game that the developers let me play, even though it's the same old scripted, linear, run down a fixed route stuff.

A perfect example of style over substance, I'd be surprised if there was more than a couple of hours actual PLAYING time, rather than WAITING time. I'll not bother will the next release, I'll buy a cheesy action film, it's the same experience.

Yeah yeah, you love the multi-player, blah, blah, don't bother leaving such comments. Single player? Avoid it until it's in the bargain bin.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2013 8:54 AM BST

Sigma AF 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6 APO DG OS HSM Optically Stabilised lens for Sony/Minolta DSLR
Offered by WebbashopItalia

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, not great., 31 Aug. 2012
If you are wanting a relatively cheap way to get to 400mm, but don't mind it being not the sharpest results, then this might be for you. If however you are looking at this as a cheaper Sony 70-400mm (costing over TWICE the price) then of course you will be sorely disappointed as the Sony G is legendary for being sharp at f5.6.

At shorter focal lengths, stopped down to f8, centre sharpness is actually pretty good and corner sharpness not too bad. However as you get passed 250mm, sharpness starts to fall off, in particular the corners. There is then a VERY dramatic decrease in sharpness 300-400mm, right at the focal length range you bought it for!

Positives are HSM for quiet auto-focus, a focus lock and Optical Stabilisation, but remember to turn off the Sony's SSS if you use the lens OS.

You have to keep this lens at a f8 onwards to get any performance out of it, frankly the results aren't usually worth the effort and definitely not the cost. Current price is £650, but if you REALLY need a 400mm zoom, do yourself a favour and save the extra £300 to buy a second-hand Sony 70-400mm SSM G, which is sharp wide open across all focal lengths and centre to corners.

In the end I didn't really use 400mm (maybe because of the results?) and sold mine. I did seriously consider the Sony 70-400mm, but I replaced the 120-400mm with the (discontinued) Sigma 100-300mm f4 EX DG APO and am now very pleased to have a sharp lens with a constant f4 aperture, which is much sharper than the 120-400mm even wide open at f4 and tack sharp at f5.6. It stomps all over the 120-400mm and I can use the 24mpix sensor on my Sony to crop the image to a 400mm field of view anyway.

UPDATE: I have since taken my own advice and bought a second-hand 70-400mm SSM G. It blows the Sigma 120-400mm away in every aspect. If you *need* a 400mm zoom and can stretch the extra to a second-hand Sony 70-400mm, then do it.

Marumi DRF-14 S TTL Macro Ring Flash for Sony
Marumi DRF-14 S TTL Macro Ring Flash for Sony

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work on all Sony dSLR/SLT, 3 Jan. 2012
As per the title, this is not compatible with the ANY of the current and future Sony SLT cameras (A3x, A5x, A6x, A7x, A9x etc) and does not work on the Sony A560/A580 dSLRs either.

Buyer beware. These are advertised to work with all Sony's, they DON'T.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 27, 2015 10:12 PM BST

The Walking Dead - Season 1 [DVD]
The Walking Dead - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Andrew Lincoln
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars First three episodes good, the rest, meh!, 11 April 2011
I was pleasantly surprised with the first three episodes, nice bit of mindless(!) zombie action. I even liked a couple of characters, which is a bonus. The zombies and effects are pretty good too.

Yes it's all been done before and is a bit clichéd, but it's a zombie series, I didn't expect a British costume drama.

Then the rot(!) started to set it, episode four was a bit character driven and light on action. No problem I am sure it'll pick up again in five...it didn't...okay, how about six...? Erm, nope. It's getting a bit like the cancelled BBC Survivors series, where the situation they are in is taking a back seat to the relationships. This wouldn't be a problem if the "drama" was any good, but it isn't.

I am starting to pick holes in the plot now, always a bad sign. The lack of guns and ammo being the most obvious.

I fear for series two, but admit to be looking forward to it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 21, 2011 10:15 PM BST

Outcasts [DVD]
Outcasts [DVD]
Dvd ~ Liam Cunningham

1.0 out of 5 stars Dire, 14 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Outcasts [DVD] (DVD)
Mr M Slater beat me to it, I waited to watch the last episode before coming here and couldn't agree more.

I wanted this to be great. I wanted to like it. I wanted a return to British science fiction. In the end though it never ceased to insult my intelligence. The writing was dire, the acting wooden, the science....well...

I am glad that the BBC have not commissioned series 2. I don't want my license fee being used for this disaster, even though this series ended on a (laughable) cliffhanger.

It appears that the BBC's contribution to science fiction will continue with Dr. Who, at least that has the excuse of being aimed at kiddies.

If you have not seen Outcasts, do not buy it. Not only is it dire, but you'll invest hours of your life in a story that will never get resolved in a second series.

Epitaph
Epitaph
by Shaun Hutson

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 20 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Epitaph (Hardcover)
Absolute rubbish.

The last couple of Shaun Hutson's books have been poor, so much so that I said that I wouldn't buy another. However I fell for it and gave the guy another chance, desperately hoping that he would be back on track. Wrong, this one reaches new lows, it is truly dire.

Don't expect anything to happen until the last few pages. That's right, NOTHING happens until the very end, an ending that was entirely predictable from half-way through.

Yet again we have short chapters, large font size and plenty of page space to pad out what should have been a short story on his website into a novel.

Do yourself a favour, borrow it from a library.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 1, 2011 4:54 PM BST

Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000
Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable Scroll Wheel, 24 Dec. 2009
After purchasing I now know that there is a known issue with Microsoft mice and their high resolution scroll wheels not working properly. It appears to affect Vista and Windows 7 users and has been doing so for at least TWO years! Microsoft refuse to acknowledge the problem despite being able to simply Google for it, no surprise there eh?

I have tried it with the drivers on the CD, with the latest v7 drivers off the web and without the Intellipoint software installed.

The worst program for me is Microsoft's very own Windows Photo Gallery, you simply can not use the wheel to zoom in/out reliably. Firefox/IE has scrolling problems too and using the wheel as a third mouse button is very hit'n'miss. Other people report problems with many other applications, such as Photoshop and Google Earth etc.

Plugged my old Logitech MX518 in and scrolling works perfectly in all applications, as does using the wheel as a third mouse button. Binning this rubbish and going to buy a Logitech wireless instead.

Microsoft, fix your drivers. My advice is to not buy any Microsoft mouse as they all use the same driver.

Nokia N6303 Classic Sim Free Mobile Phone - Silver/Black
Nokia N6303 Classic Sim Free Mobile Phone - Silver/Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 6233 replacement, works with my CK-7W car kit!, 25 Nov. 2009
I have just broken my old faithful, the Nokia 6233, which in turn replaced my excellent 6230i.

I need a phone that just "works". No flashy operating system wanted nor required here. I like the classic Nokia Series 40 operating system with its long battery life and simple, quick, interface. I was able to pick up and use the 6303 straight away.

I also wanted a phone that would work with my Nokia CK-7W car kit. Of course the old pop-port interface has gone, so the 6303 can't be hard-wired via a charging cradle into the CK-7W, but it does work perfectly over Bluetooth.

The CU-7 remote control wheel/button still works too, so volume and voice dialling can be controlled as if the 6303 was wired into the kit. The 6303 continues to offer the option of auto answering after 2 rings when connected to the kit too.

The real bonus is that there is a Nokia charging cradle, the Nokia 6303 Car Holder CR-112, so at least I can charge it while using Bluetooth to the CK-7W. You buy the cradle and add the DC-4 charger to it.

The voice recognition on the Nokia 6303 is FAR better than the 6233. You still can't record your own voice tags for contacts like you did on the great 6230i, but the voice training on the 6303 actually works.

Very pleased that I have got another few years out of my car kit :)

* My review is based on firmware version v09.10 25-08-09