Profile for Javier Leal Olivas > Reviews

Content by Javier Leal Olivas

Javier Leal Olivas "Khavier" (London, UK)

The Meaning of Marriage: Facing the Complexities of Marriage with the Wisdom of God
by Timothy Keller

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 July 2014
Great book

RHA MA600i Noise Isolating In-Ear Headphone with remote and microphone - 3 year warranty
Offered by R H A

2.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after a month., 28 July 2014
Really good sound quality for its range.

Sadly, stopped working by the mini-jack adaptor end of the cable.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2014 11:09 AM BST

A Middle Eastern Feast (Penguin Great Food)
A Middle Eastern Feast (Penguin Great Food)
by Claudia Roden

4.0 out of 5 stars Good little selection of recipes, 7 May 2014
Well explained recipes, nice selection of essential Middle Eastern dishes that everybody should try. Claudia Roden is very knowledgeable, recommended.

Cooking Without Recipes
Cooking Without Recipes
by Philip Dundas

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing - so, after all, you do might need recipes, 6 Feb. 2013
I must say that I looked forward to receive and to read this book, I really did. My expectations were high - while I consider myself an amateur cook and a avid reader of food writing, I have grown tired of the average coffee table cookbook. Fancy photos, strange ingredients and pointless recipes that nobody ends up looking at and let alone cooking, just wasn't my thing. I definitely was excited about reading 'Cooking Without Recipes'.

The starting of the book sounds great, it promises to deliver the readers "the 'how' of cooking, the reactions of heat and taste", but it fails.

The book does go through a list of ingredients and culinary utensils. The author tries to describe them in short paragraphs aiming making us feel more comfortable using them, but he generally falls short on providing the information that us cooks would find interesting knowing. Sometimes I would spend lines reading random facts about an ingredient when I primarily just wanted to know how to cook it.

When I got to the cooking preparations I also felt that the author abused a bit too much of encouraging 'trial and error'. Don't misunderstand me, I believe in trial and error! but I just saw too many times that instead of explaining me how cooking works (which I believe is the topic of the book), he just says something like 'into your pan it goes', without explaining a single more word.
To be honest, I expected to learn a simple explanation of how cooking works. Besides, I think the iniciated cook might feel disencouraged when his or her first trials don't work because of the lack of a minimum knowledge.

Summarising, I did learn things with the book, perhaps random facts and science bits that I didn't know. But the book doesn't succesfully teach me what I need to know to: 1st. Dare to try cooking, 2nd. Understanding how cooking works. Sadly, too much of 'just do what you feel', which in an novice cook might be equal to 'I feel like not cooking'.

Ps. The book DOES give a few recipes.

1080 Recipes
1080 Recipes
by Inés Ortega

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and authentic., 22 Nov. 2012
This review is from: 1080 Recipes (Hardcover)
After a few weeks with the book I must say I'm very pleased with the purchase. The book has many classic Spanish recipes that match with the ones I've been trying in Spain. The translation from the original seems very good also. I specially like the recipes by famous Spanish chefs at the end of the book. A must for Spanish cuisine lovers :)

DJ Hero - Turntable Kit (Wii)
DJ Hero - Turntable Kit (Wii)
Offered by konsolenkost

4.0 out of 5 stars THE game for the music addict, 24 May 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Excellent game, vast selection of music, really fun to play if you're into the DJ world. I was personally surprised of the variety of DJ's featured in the game: Grand Master Flash, Jazzy Jeff, Yoda, Shadow...
On the other hand, some of the mixes aren't brilliant if you particularly find fun to play while listening to a good track.

Klipsch Image S4 Headphones
Klipsch Image S4 Headphones

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound:10, Contruction:3, 15 Feb. 2011
After deciding to spend what the Klipsch S4 costs --which was the most I've spent ever before on a couple or earphones-- I found out how good they were and how worth it was its purchase. The construction/materials aren't remarkable, especially the cables, but with a bit of care they will be ok.

To be honest, the earphones emphasize the low and high tones, so they won't be adequate for people who want a flat response, but for the rest of us... they sound brilliant, the bass is astounding and the treble sharp and definite.

PS. They lasted less than 2 years. Unless you have a pretty small ear I recommend you the biggest rubber piece included, otherwise you won't hear the bass properly as there has to be a full contact with the earphones to your ear.

Basics Design: Layout
Basics Design: Layout
by Gavin Ambrose

3.0 out of 5 stars Brief and not very didactical., 14 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Basics Design: Layout (Paperback)
The book itself it's not very good at theory of layouts. It focuses more on showing other's examples instead of trying to explain well the concepts.