Profile for redline1984 > Reviews

redline1984

Warnings/Promises
Warnings/Promises

5.0 out of 5 stars A Modern Way of Moving On, 9 Mar. 2005
This review is from: Warnings/Promises (Audio CD)
To cut straight to the point, Warnings/Promises is in terms of it's sound different to the Idlewild of before.
Compare "Not Just Sometimes" to a track such as "You've lost your way" from Hope Is Important. The difference is staggering. Many critics seem to have written this album off, making it seem like Idlewild have sold out to their punk roots.
Certainly Warnings/Promises is not punk, and it clearly shows a line of heritage from The Remote Part. The band has matured, and so has the music. If they carried on writing the same punk, critics would only rebuke them for being stuck in a rut.
Have no doubt though, the talent, passion and ability that has been in all albums previous is still here. The lyrical genius remains, the music may be more mellow, but it doesn't stop it being great. Idlewild are still a cut above other modern hyped rock/indie bands, and as such this album deserves your attention.
Stand out tracks include the lead single "Love Steals us Loneliness", "Welcome Home" and my own personal favourite "El Captain".

Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not punk but I love it., 18 July 2004
This review is from: Under My Skin (Audio CD)
As a 20-year-old male who loves punk rock, it was difficult to imagine myself buying anything by Avril Lavigne. But after having the lyrics to "My Happy Ending" stuck in my head for five days I finally conceded and bought "Under My Skin". Not being the obvious target audience for this album I didn't expect much, so I was incredibly shocked by just how good it is.
The highlights of "Under My Skin" for me are "My Happy Ending" which is a lesson in pop-rock perfection. Never has a song stuck in my sub-conscious for so long despite my efforts to remove it! The UK bonus track " I Always Get What I Want" comes closest to being punk, as it happily rocks along (turn it up loud) with entertaining lyrics. "Take Me Away" is a great opening track and sets the scene for an essentially melancholy album that at times borders on the dark.
But the crowning glory and surprise of this album for me is "How Does It Feel". In essence this is three minutes of utter poignant beauty, which does in my opinion highlight the true talent and maturity Avril possess. Her voice on this track took my breath away and left a lump in my throat, it hit me that hard.
The rest of the album is high quality, although the lyrics of "Who Knows" make me cringe and would be best suited to S Club 7. However I still found myself singing along to it!
Overall, again I was surprised at just how good this album is. The quality of its production is staggering and it has a clarity that makes it easy to listen to with either the volume set low or cranked way high. It doesn't matter that Avril isn't punk; it doesn't matter if she's commercial. This is quite simply a great album.

Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not punk but I like it, 16 July 2004
This review is from: Under My Skin (Audio CD)
The rest of the album is high quality, although the lyrics of "Who Knows" make me cringe and would be best suited to S Club 7. Yet I still found myself singing along to it!