Profile for Jammy > Reviews

Content by Jammy

Jammy "Love and Hatred" (london)

Allegiant (Divergent Book 3)
Allegiant (Divergent Book 3)

2.0 out of 5 stars Just okay..., 13 Dec. 2015
The plot was somewhat disappointing and at times rather flat.
I would recommend this book to teens who also enjoyed the Hunger Games trilogy

All Quiet on the Western Front [DVD]
All Quiet on the Western Front [DVD]
Dvd ~ Louis Wolheim
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating!, 20 May 2009
Coming from an A level English Literature student I thought this film was fantastic. I found it highly educational, and despite having read a lot of World War One literature (including All Quiet on the Western Front), this really illustrated for me the different kinds of weoponry and their distinctive sounds, the explosive impact they have on the men, and the distance between the opposing trenches. Additionally the camera in the battle scenes sometimes shoots from the perspective of the men looking over the top, which was very insightful as I could see the battle from the soldiers' own perspective.
This has been hugely beneficial for my studies and wider konwledge, and recommend it to any student studying the war, or to anyone genuinely interested.

Brisingr (The Inheritance Cycle)
Brisingr (The Inheritance Cycle)
by Christopher Paolini

3.0 out of 5 stars A big dissapointment., 5 Oct. 2008
After having thoroughly enjoyed the first two books, Eragon and Eldest, my expectations for the third were admittedly high. Even so, when I was reading Brisingr, the only thought that kept me reading on was that these rather lame side plots were building up to a "gripping" scene. To my dismay, this scene never came.
Paolini's influence from J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings is clearly noticeable, and this put me off the book. There is no doubt about it that the Paolini's creation of AlagaŽsia is very impressive, but it needs to be completely original, (gosh I sound so stuck up and pessimistic)!
In addition, some of the scenes were very long and I found myself losing concentration, and i'm not one for having a short concentration span. Despite the long scenes, it is not as detailed as I imagined it to be, and I believe that some stages of the book are completely unneccessary. Sorry, but parts of Brisngr have been poorly written.
To justify these perhaps hypercritical views, I came up with a thoery that, being 17, i was perhaps not young enough, and too critical to enjoy the book.
If this is the case, although i strongly doubt it, I am dissapointed that Paolini hasn't aimed Brisingr to the age group who were "the right age" when Eragon was released. But I will repeat again, "i strongly doubt it."

WELL... I think it is quite clear that I found Brisingr a big dissapointment, so I am surprised by my rating and my urge to buy the last book of the cycle. so I suppose Paolini's technique in dragging the 3rd book out has been to keep readers hopeful that the last one of the series will be worth the bore of the third.

His Dark Materials Gift Set: "Northern Lights", "The Subtle Knife", "The Amber Spyglass"
by Philip Pullman

4.0 out of 5 stars His Dark Materials, 20 Aug. 2006
I loved this trilogy! its one of the most enjoyable i've read! I found it hard to get into at first but once i did i couldn't put it down. XD