Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer

Nursing: Transition To Professional Practice (Prepare For Practice)
Nursing: Transition To Professional Practice (Prepare For Practice)
by Rob Burton

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource for pre and post qualification, 21 Dec. 2011
I first came across this book towards the end of my third year and what a wonderful help it has been ever since. It basically clarifies many aspects and concepts of nursing which are needed both before and after qualification and has an excellent chapter on interview skills too. I normally use this book as a loan item from the university library and it is so popular with all the students that the book (around 10 copies I think) is normally fully booked-out and requires a reservation.

Pre-qualification, I used this book mainly in the Leadership and Management module of my final year (I would have used it more but it was only released in 2011) as it gives an up-to-date overview and guidance on the main concepts of nursing (clinical governance, leadership and management, teamworking, teaching and facilitating, accountability). By using this book I managed to get a 90% mark for the final essay of the module.

Now that I am qualified and looking for my first nursing job I have been using the book to secure my first job. It contains a whole chapter titled: Getting the job that you want. The chapter deals with topics around how to decide which job will suit you and how to prioritise the activities and actions needed to secure a first job. I used this chapter to prepare for an interview at a place that I really want to work and it really helped me to prepare to a high standard.

Due to my learning style I sometimes have trouble reading plain text and learn better with mind-maps, diagrams and a splash of colour.
in this regard the book caters for the learning styles of different learners by the use of colour (shades of red and orange, not boring black and white), mind maps, critical thinking activities and information boxes. Because of this excellent layout I found no problem in making full use of the book. However an added bonus could have been the use of maybe one more colour.

At around £20 for your own copy I think it's a bargain. A must buy if you care about patient safety and care-quality and genuinely intend to go from novice to expert as quickly as possible. I have just requested the publisher (via Amazon) to convert it into a Kindle version and intend to buy my own copy (digital version) as soon as possible.