Profile for Greg D > Reviews

Content by Greg D

Greg D "Greg De Tisi" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Fabric 71: MIxed By Cassy
Fabric 71: MIxed By Cassy

4.0 out of 5 stars ORIGINAL MINIMAL AT THE BEGINNING, 28 Dec. 2015
First three tracks were colourful, original and memorable but then it kind of levelled out at times to be more of a standard minimal mix that could have been mixed by anyone in the game I suppose. But, personally, I did like it as there were a few other tracks that jumped out for me and it kept me interested so, it wasn't all down hill, in fact it was quite an easy listening bouncy offering. Being one of the Nu-wave of female Minimal DJ's today I think Cassy did a pretty good job as it's not a bad attempt and is up there with Magda's Fabric mix which is of the same calibre. It is definitely worth a listen if you are a minimal lover for sure.

Defected In The House: International 2 (Mixed By Copyright)
Defected In The House: International 2 (Mixed By Copyright)

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD OLD FASHIONED UPLIFTING FUNKY SOULFUL FEEL GOOD SEXY HOUSE, 24 Dec. 2015
GOOD OLD FASHIONED UPLIFTING FUNKY SOULFUL FEEL GOOD SEXY HOUSE! I know that's a bit of a mouthful aint it, BUT that's what it is. This isn't about messing around with a few great tracks here and there, this is a full packed mix of hot juicy ripe tunes. There are some almost 'minimal funk' tracks here that go on a bit, but in general these are back to back uplifting funky and soulful, latin house tracks with atmosphere and vocals to lift any situation. With classics such as Ron Hall's 'The Way You Love Me' and Kings Of Tomorrows 'Another Day' and Hanna Hais's 'Rosa Nova' you are truly set. In fact I can't really fault it. if you want that sexy vocal, pre party feel good dancy funky house then this is for you. CD2 starts with more Latin feel which just makes you smile instantly with amazing beats and melodies and drives through with a pacey soulful house peak and starts to get a little rude boy at the end but not so much that it ruins the whole thing.

The best mix I have in this scene would be Ministry Of Sound's Chillout sessions 9 Aussy import CD2 - the house mix is the best in the world without doubt.

Twisted Disco 03.06
Twisted Disco 03.06

4.0 out of 5 stars NICE TUNES, 24 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Twisted Disco 03.06 (Audio CD)
NICE TUNES EDGING ON ELECTRO N SLIGHTLY TWISTED Sure its pretty twisted in places however, coming from an underground dance scene I could probably put together a far finer selection of twisted tunes in fact I know I could. This is not to say that some are not classics such as Armand Van Heldon's 'MyMyMy', Till West and DJ Delicious's 'Same Man' plus Mark Knights 'Insatiable'. There are many other tracks on here that are not that twisted yet still good and then those that are a little bland. Still worth buying as some nice tracks on here. I think for me personally it's just nice to have some remixed versions of tracks that I already own and the fact that I can mix with them as they are 12 " tunes. Great For DJ's of course.

Hotel Costes - 7 (Sept)
Hotel Costes - 7 (Sept)

5.0 out of 5 stars TOP QUALITY BEATS, BOSSA AND LATIN GROOVES, 24 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Hotel Costes - 7 (Sept) (Audio CD)
TOP QUALITY BEATS, BOSSA AND LATIN GROOVES There is always a level or standard one comes to expect from certain things and with this series I expect a high standard and it is high. Another gem by Stephane Pompougnac. Starting with lounge beats from greats such as Mark Rae of Grand Central records AKA Rae and Christian and continuing on with a nice series of same tempo lounge beats from Only Child and more. The tempo picks up a bit and alters throughout as it moves into Bossa, Latin and Drum and Bass but never loses its sophisticated quality. l have always loved Dolphins Boys Don't Stop and I love the remix version also and the delicious flavours and vibrant colours are maintained with greats such as Mo Horizons and Takumi Kato. So the standard remains throughout as does the tempo. Other Hotel Costes in the series vary in tempo but this is more beat based and level (if you like that sort of thing?). And when you end with A Thivery Corp track you are onto a winner in my opinion.

Mg4
Mg4
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars FRESH ORCHESTRAL GARAGE JAZZY LATIN BOSSA AND SOUL, 23 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Mg4 (Audio CD)
FRESH ORCHESTRAL GARAGE JAZZY LATIN BOSSA AND SOUL I remember when I first heard the track 'Butterfly' by Mondo Grosso on a Jon Sa Trincha Salinas Beach mix and I thought, hmmmm garage with strings and piano which sounds fresh. I took a gamble on buying the album today for 2 quid and I was pleasantly surprised. Filled with nice smooth sexy garage beats, great vocals from Tania Maria and others and well produced jazzy and orchestral backgrounds. Some tracks are more garage, some more lounge based and some are house, but essentially, this is a big mixture of sophisticated sounds. It reminds me a little of 4 Hero's work in some places except they dont use garage beats they are more a Nu-Jazz/soul act.

Selected Ambient Works 85-92 Import Edition by Aphex Twin (2004) Audio CD
Selected Ambient Works 85-92 Import Edition by Aphex Twin (2004) Audio CD
Offered by Smaller World Future

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE OF MY MUSICAL HEROS, 23 Dec. 2015
ONE OF MY MUSICAL HEROS Having started loving music when I was about 5 i quickly grew to appreciate many things. I left school hit the rave era in 89 and was obsessed with beat based music. It wasn't until years later that I discovered Aphex Twin and I have learned to truly appreciate this guy. Thinking that many of his works were way back before I used to go partying it has given me a deeper appreciation still for him. Not only that but, being a person who loves chilled music and chilled music that is trippy and twisted this was perfect for me. This shows a true artist who understands the moody and moving sounds of electronic music presented in an intelligent way for those after hours sessions. Let me tell you I have had many of those and only wishI had this cd back then. But, really you will learn of a remarkable producer who has gone on to create many amazing tracks and albums and who (for me) is up there with my favourite DJs and Producers. This is a must but if you understand and appreciate electronic ambient chillout at its finest.

Ibiza - The Sound of Renaissance Vol.3
Ibiza - The Sound of Renaissance Vol.3
Offered by TwoRedSevens

3.0 out of 5 stars CD1 CHILLED IBIZA CD2 AVERAGE, 19 Dec. 2015
CD1 CHILLED IBIZA and very pleasant to the ear, CD2 DISTINCTLY AVERAGE and wayyyy to dark and electro. As a fan of Renaissance for many years and owning all of their goods I thought this was a little tepid. There are some great tracks on CD1 and I enjoyed it, but nevertheless CD2 was not that special at all. Cd 2 Kind of bumps along with some rare high notes at the beginning and as it progresses it loses touch with atmosphere and goes down hill. Its an easy couple of cds to listen to but not at the standard that I would have expected.

Craig Richards presents The Nothing Special
Craig Richards presents The Nothing Special

4.0 out of 5 stars SLICK ATMOSPHERIC MINIMAL KINDA THING, 17 Dec. 2015
SLICK ATMOSPHERIC MINIMAL KINDA THING it moves along at a pretty nice pace not too hard either. There are some stand out tracks for me being 'Loop Hotel Room 201' 'Conforce rare education' and 'Arne weinberg - my testimony' amazing tracks and a solid mix. Considering that some tracks are as far back as 1996 these old numbers go very well with the more recent ones. Craig Richards has 2 other releases on Fabric but I havent had a chance to listen to them yet, I suspect I will buy those aswell though.

Connected: Full Intention: Mixed By Full Intention
Connected: Full Intention: Mixed By Full Intention
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars FUNKY VOCAL HOUSE AT ITS BEST!, 16 Dec. 2015
FUNKY VOCAL HOUSE AT ITS BEST! I used to listen to the renaissance series of house cd's and back then there were so many great tracks. On one collection I heard the track 'I Believe In You' and 'America'. For years I thought nothing more of the tracks until i grabbed this for just £1. Well I was blown away. Amongst the tracks i mentioned there are so many great funky and vocal uplifting house tracks here that get you in the mood for going out. A true legendary and pionneering pair of producers I have come to learn. Worth buying if you are a funky house music lover.

Fabriclive 48
Fabriclive 48
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars FILTHY RICH IN SOUND!, 15 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Fabriclive 48 (Audio CD)
FILTHY RICH IN SOUND! With this mix they have really shown the type of DJ's they are and which reflects the sound and energy you would expect from a live set by them. This is one of those mixes that really builds and is the kind of music that is my ideal house music kind of mix that I go back to time and time again. They kick things off with disco flavour, touches of tracks by decent bands and kick in the house n techno, and as things get darker and harder it is like being out at a night dancing at a night I would love. In some ways you wouldn't necessarily think of of using some of these tracks but they do work like placing Mr Oizo next to Jack Penate could be weird YET IT IS EFFECTIVE. This is a seriously banging pre going out mix and you can tell that they are passionate about old and new tunes alike to get things moving. These guys also run a night called Kill Em All which I love: and many of the artists on this mix have performed there such as Phenomenal Handclap Band, Emperor Machine, Discodeine, Aeroplane, Popof, Brodinski, Joakim, Zombie Nation, Braxe & Menace, Proxy WhoMadeWho. My fav producers being Joakim, Aeroplane and Who Made Who.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20