Profile for Berit Storset > Reviews

Content by Berit Storset

Berit Storset "margareta" (Norway)

Page: 1 | 2
Fantasia Triple Pack [DVD] [2000]
Fantasia Triple Pack [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ James Levine

5.0 out of 5 stars The very best of Disney., 15 Jun 2014
I find it quite difficult to explain why i love this film - it is like trying to explain music.
Try it.

The Scarlet Pimpernel/Return Of The Scarlet Pimpernel [DVD]
The Scarlet Pimpernel/Return Of The Scarlet Pimpernel [DVD]
Dvd ~ Leslie Howard

5.0 out of 5 stars Leslie Howard is enough to see this film., 15 Jun 2014
The film, based on the book (or books ) of baroness d'Orzy, is about the Terror period of the French Revolution. This film is from the beginning of the Terror, and the Scarlet Pimpernel is an Englishman, a dandified baronet, faking the mannerisms of a society fop, who is also a master of disguise and saves French aristocrats from the Guillotine. His most dangerous opponent is Chauvelin, head of the French Police, well played by Raymond Massey. Merle Oberon plays the role as Marguerite, the Pimpernels beautiful French wife, torn between different loyalties and misunderstandings.
I bought it because of Leslie Howards performance.
But it is rather a dashing story, and the execution scenes are quite scary enough for me even in black and white.
Recommended.

The Scarlet Pimpernel [DVD]
The Scarlet Pimpernel [DVD]
Dvd ~ Anthony Andrews

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, elegant (and just a little chilling) film from the Robespierre Terror 1792., 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Scarlet Pimpernel [DVD] (DVD)
I really find it difficult to choose between this film and the much older version with Leslie Howard.
This version is in colours, whereas the older one is in black and white.
Both excellent, I think. So I ended up with buying both.
Here, Jane Seymour is an enchanting Marguerite, Anthony Andrews a very elegant Scarlet Pimpernel, and Ian McKellen a rather frustrated Chauvelin - in love with Marguerite, but very much under Robespierre's heel.
Recommended.

Gone With The Wind (Deluxe Series) [DVD]
Gone With The Wind (Deluxe Series) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Clark Gable
Offered by lightningdvd

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent film, but I miss the extra material from the 4 disc edition., 15 Jun 2014
This film about the American Civil War is always a pleasure to see, it is amazing that it was made so long ago. Lovingly restored, with legendary actors, The central characters played by Clark Gable, Vivien Leigh, Leslie Howard and Olivia de Havilland are all really good, and Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh are forever connected with these roles.
So why on earth don't i give it 5 stars?
To the film, i certainly would.
But I thought I had better say something about the edition as well. The film comes in a pretty box, with a lot of photos, some from the film, some still photos of the actors.
But I really miss the interviews and the actor profiles from the 4 disc collectors edition.
In the Deluxe edition, you get a lot of admittedly beautiful photos instead, and if you like to have the photos, go for it.

Travels With My Aunt (Region 2)
Travels With My Aunt (Region 2)
Dvd ~ Alec McCowen Maggie Smith
Offered by Acid Vibes

4.0 out of 5 stars Amusing and sad., 14 Jun 2014
The story about the excentric, ageing aunt, who is partly streetwise, but vulnerable and with one blind spot: her great love Mr. Visconti - is amusing, but sad.
The principal characters suit one another by contrast: conventional "nephew" (Henry) , and rather confusing companion/ lover/magician/business associate ( Wordsworth) with many functions .
Maggie Smiths acting is very good, but in some episodes perhaps slightly too much on the hysterical side for my taste.
I shall not tell you how it ends.
Good film, worth seeing.

Rebecca [DVD] [1997]
Rebecca [DVD] [1997]
Dvd ~ Charles Dance

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Manderley, 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: Rebecca [DVD] [1997] (DVD)
This novel is probably so well known that there is no need to give a resumè of the story. I think this is a very attractive film adaptation of Daphne du Mauriers " Rebecca", with a fairy tale Manderley,gloriously framed in rhododendrons when first seen, and very good characters, the sinister sea being almost a character too.
Charles Dance is an attractive Maxim de Winter, though there is less mystery in this portrayal than the 16th century character the Second Mrs. de Winter ( we are never told her first name ) sees in him in the novel. Emilia Fox is a refreshing and more modern Second Mrs. de Winter than in Hitchcocks 1940 version, where she is perhaps portrayedd closer to the book - and Diana Rigg is interesting as Mrs. Danvers - fanatic in her adoration of the dead Rebecca.. Faye Dunaway as Mrs. van Hopper is a surprise - glamorous, as opposed to the character in Hitchcocks version, slightly vulgar, and pathetic. This character is more wholeheartedly unattractive in the novel.
Rebecca herself isnot entirely believable, I think. She is shown from the back, or we see only her eyes or only her mouth.The eyes are good, but on the whole it is difficult to understand that this person could have such a hold on her surroundings..
Nevertheless, I think the film stands time well, nd can be enjoyed more than once.

Little Lord Fauntleroy [DVD]
Little Lord Fauntleroy [DVD]
Dvd ~ Freddie Bartholomew
Offered by Special Days

5.0 out of 5 stars Faithful to the book and good actors., 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: Little Lord Fauntleroy [DVD] (DVD)
I loved this book as a child, and like the film among other reasons because it is faithful to the book. The caracters are very well made and recognizable, and the relationship between them is perhaps more believable for the time - 1885 - than in a later film which I also think is very good, the one with Alec Guiness and Ricky Schroeder from 1980. Both films have some really lovely scenes, and I recommend both.. There are several film adaptations of this book, but these are the two I prefer.

Dunvegan Castle: Isle of Skye, Scotland
Dunvegan Castle: Isle of Skye, Scotland
by John MacLeod of MacLeod
Edition: Pamphlet

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting, but might be a little longer., 24 Mar 2014
The booklet is interesting, and has some nice pictures. I might have wanted a little more text.
The booklet had been slightly damaged in the post. Nothing serious, but the cover had been bent a little.

Hymne A La Mome: The Best Of Edith Piaf
Hymne A La Mome: The Best Of Edith Piaf

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, fascinating and moving., 13 Jan 2013
What an artist Edith Piaf was! It seems incredible how much force and feeling could be held in this tiny woman. I find it quite difficult to explain what it is that grips me so about her voice and performance, but she fills the room and the audience with the force and volume of her voice, which is stamped by the very hard life she led, and her fighting spirit, which must have been more than aweinspiring.
I have loved her since the first time I heard her voice, and I am not surprised that she stopped the traffic in Paris in life as well as in death.
This CD box has some of her live recordings as well, and I am very glad of that.

Duplicate Death
Duplicate Death
by Georgette Heyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and witty mystery., 13 Jan 2013
This review is from: Duplicate Death (Paperback)
This novel is classified as a mystery novel, but for me it is the dialogue and the scathing and funny character descriptions which attract me most and hold my attention through the book, like always with Heyer's mysteries. I haven't read her regency novels yet, but maybe I must try those as well..
The plot is very briefly: young female secretary (Beulah Birtley) with surly manner is involved in and suspected of two murders, one of the corpses being her hard and slightly vulgar employer. BB's suitor Timothy Harte and his brother James Kane I affectionately recall from an earlier novel of Heyer's, celled " They found him dead", also recommended.
The book has a good pareback binding and agreably big print, which might be interesting to know for readers with weak eyesight.

Page: 1 | 2