Profile for The Pedestrian > Reviews

Content by The Pedestrian

The Pedestrian (UK)

DOUBLE 4FT LOG STORE/GARDEN STORAGE, BROWN, HEAVY DUTY, HAND MADE, PRESSURE TREATED, NATIONWIDE DELIVERY.
Offered by Rutland County Garden Furniture Ltd
Price: 160.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, 6 Sep 2013
The logstore was delivered in 3 parts within the same delivery, each part was easily lifted/moved by 1 average person (I had undergone shoulder surgery a few months before and was still able to move each of them without any trouble). The instructions were perfectly clear - useful coloured photos and clear instructions for when the long or short screws should be used (earlier reviewers seemed to have problems with this). All holes were pre-drilled (again, earlier reviewers seemed to have problems with this not being the case). I assembled mine on my own, however moving it to the final location IS a two man job as it's heavy once assembled as pointed out by a previous reviewer. If you have an electric screwdriver/drill I'd recommend using it for this (make sure you charge it up beforehand - or like me you'll be having a coffee break in the middle :)) All in all a fantastic product, well made and easily assembled. If you can't build it where it's going to be used make sure you have help when you're ready to move it.

An Acoustic Evening (Live at the Vienna Opera House)
An Acoustic Evening (Live at the Vienna Opera House)
Price: 9.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Pricing Structure, 29 Mar 2013
I'm a huge fan of Joe Bonamassa - the musician, there's no argument that he's a very talented artist. However I think the pricing structure around his music products has become almost cynical and certainly looks to be motivated by factors other than securing a fair price for his products and spreading his music. I'm not looking for something for nothing and I've never had a problem buying music - it's a no brainer that musicians should be rewarded for the work they do. However, the music buying public deserve fairness too. The MP3 download is more expense than the physical CD and is almost the same price as the Blu Ray DVD I bought on pre-order. Makes no sense to me. Perhaps there's some really abstract, hard to comprehend marketing argument that makes it all make sense. Personally I doubt it. I think it's a lot simpler than that. I will not be buying the MP3 version of this release until a fair and reasonable pricing structure is put in place and I'm disappointed by that because I love Blues and love Joes music. I'd really like to support him but absolutely NOT with his current pricing model in place.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 19, 2014 5:21 PM GMT

Price: 33.25

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent, enjoyable, book, 19 Mar 2012
I bought this book for self study and have found it to be excellent and very enjoyable. It's not a light hearted skip through the main concepts in each of the topics covered and some specific focussed effort will be required to work through the subject matter - but that's what you would expect right? The subject matter here is complex and can only be simplified so far before it becomes trivialised and nothing useful is gained. This book doesn't do that. It introduces the concepts that are central to the subject matter (e.g. four vectors, tensors, differential geometry etc) in gentle steps without attempting to be a mathematically rigorous treatment of any of them. In my case I got enough of an understanding of the ideas behind these concepts from this book to read around each of them in separate books which are more dedicated to the specific topics and then move onto more rigorous treatments of the topics of this book - mainly GR and Cosmology for me.

I think anyone interested in the subject matter could use this book to gain a "first-course" type understanding of the main topics covered then move onto more rigorous treatments if desired. If you have a background in the physical sciences you should be able to start straight away and work through this book with some effort. If you don't have a background in the the physical sciences I think you could still work through the book though you will probably have to do some peripheral reading to catch up with some of the background ideas/mathematical tools. That's not a weakness of this book, just a consequence of the subject matter - some of the topics covered are quite abstract and require some abstract tools to handle them.

The book contains worked examples which is a great asset and is beautifully produced. Although it's a paperback I've had no problems with the spine splitting that can sometimes happen with paperback bindings.

All in all a fantastic book, well made, beautifully presented and highly recommended.

by Mark H. Jones
Price: 35.40

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book for everyone interested in this subject, 19 Mar 2012
I bought this book for personal use in self-study and can recommend it to all interested parties whether non formally trained scientists, undergraduates, graduates with an interest but perhaps working outside the field or like me a graduate working a million miles away from the subject matter of the book.

If you have a background in the physical sciences this book will make an excellent refresher and reference source for summaries, diagrams and overviews of the relevant arguments. If you don't have a background in the physical sciences this book will help you gain an understanding of the main physical processes governing the formation and evolution of Galaxies (including our own Milky Way galaxy) along with the observational techniques used in obtaining real data to test the theoretical predictions for other Galaxies and the main current Cosmological models. The book is illustrated throughout with beautiful diagrams, photographs and real experimental data and it's fun using the formulae within the book to calculate numbers that you can then see on the experimental graphs and plots.

The book contains summary sections at the end of each chapter and these are excellent, providing not only a reminder of the main points that you've just worked through but a useful "taster" of what's to come before you dive into each chapter. In addition, the book contains many questions in each chapter with answers at the end. These problems are fun to work through and having the answers is a real advantage and a positive asset of the book - there's nothing worse when learning from a book questions being posed but no answers being provided.

In addition to this book I purchased 2 other books on related topics and have the same comments on them - all 3 books are beautifully illustrated throughout, contain questions with worked solutions and pitch their subject matter at the right level. The books in question are:

by Simon F Green

by Simon F. Green
Price: 35.40

If you have a background in the physical sciences this book will make an excellent refresher and reference source for summaries, diagrams and overviews of the relevant arguments. If you don't have a background in the physical sciences this book will help you gain an understanding of the main physical processes governing the formation and evolution of the stars (including our own sun) along with the observational techniques used in obtaining real data to test the theoretical predictions. The book is illustrated throughout with beautiful diagrams, photographs and real experimental data and it's fun using the formulae within the book to calculate numbers that you can then see on the experimental graphs and plots.

On the production of the book, I can't fault it. It's not a massive tomb so I had no problems with the binding splitting - something that can happen with very large paperback text books once opened beyond the first few chapters when the weight of the book splits the binding. I bought my copy from the Amazon warehouse under the description "used" and it was in great condition - no damage and no real signs of wear and tear so very happy with both the quality of the book, the service and the cost savings compared to purchasing new. I would still buy this book even if I had to pay the "brand new" price.

by Mark H. Jones, Robert J. Lambourne

Weight Training for Men: The Ultimate Guide to Muscle Growth and Fat Loss
Weight Training for Men: The Ultimate Guide to Muscle Growth and Fat Loss

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Edition, 27 July 2011
This review relates exclusively to the Kindle edition of this book.

Other reviewers have commented on the paperback book and as far as the content/information in the book is concerned I agree completely - 5 stars, no quibble. However, the Kindle edition is a let down. There's no active table of contents, the page formatting isn't great and flicking back and forth within the book to re-check something is difficult and messy (something you need to do with a book of this nature).

Like so many Kindle books this feels like a successful paperback book has been hastily converted into Kindle format and shoved out to the market without any concern for the usbality of the product.

Having said all that I'd recommend the content without hesitation and if you're keen on the subject you will persevere with the limitations of the Kindle edition. Personally, I'm finding this trait where publishers release so called "Kindle editions" which are nothing more than hastily cobbled together e-versions of books extremely annoying.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 7, 2014 11:27 PM GMT

Le Creuset Traditional Kettle Volcanic 2.1L with Whistle
Le Creuset Traditional Kettle Volcanic 2.1L with Whistle
Price: 61.60

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing and Unsuitable, 23 April 2011
As implied by the title of the review, we were very disappointed in the build quality of this item and its suitability as a whistling kettle.

It was purchased to replace an old whistling kettle that had seen better days and given many years of trouble free service. I don't think this would have lasted a year - lots of cheap plastic and thin insubstantial tinny metal.

The one fact that sunk it for us was the whistle - or lack of! It was non-existant and couldn't be heard from another room. It could barely be heard next to the kettle and the sound of the boiling water within the kettle was louder than the whistle itself.

So, if you decide to order one perhaps you will be luckier than us like some of the other reviewers appear to have been. For us, it's of absolutely no use as a whistling kettle and is being returned.

On the plus side, well done Amazon for making the entire returns process easy and straightforward to use. Collection arranged from my home address for after the bank holiday with no fuss. Excellent.

J.K.Lasser's Small Business Taxes 2008: Your Complete Guide to a Better Bottom Line
by Barbara Weltman
Price: 9.07

1.0 out of 5 stars This book is for the US, 17 May 2008
Maybe I missed something but I ordered this book and it proved to be completely useless. It seems to be written entirely for the US market - lots of wonderful detail about IRS dates, forms etc etc etc.

A waste of time and money - for me anyway.

Joomla! A User's Guide: Building a Successful Joomla! Powered Website
Joomla! A User's Guide: Building a Successful Joomla! Powered Website
by Barrie M. North
Price: 27.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 Feb 2008
I found this to be an excellent book - really useful for getting to grips with Joomla and trying to actually build a website. I've built websites but never used Joomla. I found the whole Joomla "workflow" difficult to get my head around using the online resources. this book has helped put it in focus and has clarified the language, maybe just me but I didn't find Joomla-ese very intuitive. Still got a long way to go before I'd say I felt comfortable with the Joomla CMS way of building sites but this book was a big help in getting started along the track.

Building Online Communities with phpBB 2
Building Online Communities with phpBB 2
by Stoyan Stefanov
Price: 22.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful backup, 20 Jan 2008
This book is a perfectly good reference source to have at arms reach if needed. Perhaps I came at it from the wrong end - I installed, configured and customised my phpBB before buying the book. Having got the board up and running, there is nothing in the book that I didn't already have from simply working through the sections in the configuration panel and posting/browsing on the excellent support fora at phpbb.com. That's not a criticism of the book in any way - and I've found myself picking it up to check specific things as I tweak my configuration. Just be aware that if you did your homework before installing and you have played around with your board it's unlikely that you will find much in the book that's new - detail perhaps but probably not much that's fundamental.

Just a personal view....