Profile for Biggles > Reviews

Understanding Type 2 Diabetes: Fewer Highs, Fewer Lows, Better Health
Understanding Type 2 Diabetes: Fewer Highs, Fewer Lows, Better Health
Price: 5.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 31 July 2014
Now I understand what it's all about. Very clearly written. Thank you Merlin!

Bigjigs Rail BJT050 High Level Track Expansion Pack
Bigjigs Rail BJT050 High Level Track Expansion Pack
Offered by Bigjigs Toys
Price: 26.49

2.0 out of 5 stars High level track expanion pack, 10 Feb 2014
Fiddly to construct. Easily disturbed by our three year old. Difficult to push the train through the "second level". Pity, because we have a large collection of Bigjigs rail and this is the first time that I have rated it anything but excellent.

Au Revoir, Europe: What if Britain left the EU?
Au Revoir, Europe: What if Britain left the EU?
Price: 7.79

5.0 out of 5 stars The confidence trick of this century and the last., 25 May 2013
This is a well researched book, written for the ordinary person, and it gives both sides of the argument well. If you are wondering how to vote when the time comes then this book is required reading.

What it does set out, however, is how the british people have been consistently lied to and conned as to just what governments were trying to achieve. Having been an adult when the whole thing started I, like many other people, thought that we were joining a common market (a free trade area). The powers that be, however, were trying to tie the major countries of Europe so closely together that a future war would be impossible, and that's fair enough but I wish we had been told so that we could have voted accordingly.

To most people today, the idea of an unelected hierarchy which cares nothing for the people it governs and spends money like water with no financial control whatsoever is abhorrent.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2013 7:57 PM GMT

Gershwinning
Gershwinning
Price: 7.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Phil Bond is brilliant, 8 Dec 2012
This review is from: Gershwinning (MP3 Download)
If you are a fan of either George Shearing, Django Rheinhart and Stephan Grappelli or Chet Atkins then you will love this. I listened to Phil live every night on a cruise recently and his skill with a banjo, ordinary guitar and electric guitar are awe-inspiring. When he is playing the banjo his fingers move so fast they are just a blurr. He was selling a CD showing his complete range and I am delighed to say that we bought a copy (7) and play it most days. I don't think it is available on the open market which is a great pity.

Foot Cradles Deluxe
Foot Cradles Deluxe

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't hold your breath, 29 Aug 2012
This review is from: Foot Cradles Deluxe (Apparel)
I placed an order direct with this company on August 1st and the cheque went through my bank on the 9th August. I am still waiting for the shoe inserts and when I telephoned them on two separate occasions with a week between they just said that there had been a delay. They could not say when they were going to receive them for onward transmission and I am disgusted with their service. My last call was today, 29th August.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 10, 2013 9:39 AM GMT

The Visitor: (Jack Reacher 4)
The Visitor: (Jack Reacher 4)
by Lee Child
Price: 3.85

2.0 out of 5 stars Paint Complaint, 28 Jun 2011
Sorry Lee. I am an avid fan but I thought this story was just a little better than garbage. Women happily taking off their clothes with a smile on their faces before filling their baths with green paint, then carrying the empty cans out to the garage without spilling a drop of paint anywhere then gently lowering themselves into the bath before stuffing their own tongues down their throats to suffocate themselves because they have been hypnotised to do so? I am amazed that you let your publishers print it.

You can do better than that.

I thought the mechanism for Reacher to set two protection gangs against one another was very well handled but overall this was not one of your better books. Sorry.

Empire of the Clouds: When Britain's Aircraft Ruled the World
Empire of the Clouds: When Britain's Aircraft Ruled the World
by James Hamilton-Paterson
Price: 16.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Empire of the clouds, 28 Dec 2010
I was all set to have a career as a tree surgeon when I decided to join the Air Training Corps in 1952 and, like other reviewers, I developed an overriding interest in the new jets being produced by the various construction companies. Farnborough was an absolute must and tree surgery went out of the window in favour of flying Provosts, Vampires and Hastings over a period of twelve years in the R.A.F.
I thought the book took a little time to get "warmed up" but then I found what followed to be absolutely fascinating. I can honestly say that I just couldn't put it down. I was staggered to learn that the "back room boys" in a Vulcan suffering an emergency actually put the bang seat pins back in so that the pilots had to stay with the aircraft rather than pull the handle (a successful landing was made). I was also shocked to read that most of of the prototypes of new aircraft could only just pass as being airworthy. On the matter of the Supermarine Swift, I once obtained a copy of the pilots notes and the opening words were "The aircraft is easy and pleasant to fly". Try telling that to the widows of all the pilots who were killed trying to control the damned thing.
The references to long, liquid lunches which appear in the book as the accepted lifestyle for Aeroplane Company executives are absolutely true. I was seconded from the Air Force for three months to Rolls Royce to fly their experimental Tyne-powered Elizabethan in the early 60's and life in the executive dining room could only be described as sumptuous. I'm sure that this lifestyle is a thing of the past.
It's a pity that the final chapter turned a bit political by giving the author's views on current situations but overall the book is a superb read and I give James Hamilton-Paterson my hearty congratulations on producing such a fine work.