Profile for Mr. Clive Brown > Reviews

Content by Mr. Clive Brown

Mr. Clive Brown (UK Somerset)

Unibond 1026663 225g No More Nails Express Wood Adhesive
Unibond 1026663 225g No More Nails Express Wood Adhesive
Offered by AP Motor Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Great glue, 2 Dec 2013
Dries clear and easy to spread. Sticks like it says, very good. Fair open time but dries quickly. Great stuff!

William Armstrong: Magician of the North
William Armstrong: Magician of the North
by Henrietta Heald

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good read., 7 April 2013
Having seen a little about Cragside on a TV programme (Renovation Man?) and having never heard of Armstrong I decided I wanted to find out about him and his engineering works. I liked the book very much, I liked how the links were established between family and friends, the circles that people move in. One very tiny criticism and it's very much subjective is that I would have liked a little more detail about how the inventions actually worked, the mechanics of them. But forget that it's a very good book.

Woodturning: A Fresh Approach
Woodturning: A Fresh Approach
by Robert Chapman

5.0 out of 5 stars Woodturning a Fresh Approach, 9 Feb 2009
I have been woodturning for a couple of years and have several books on the subject. I wouldn't say this is a stand alone beginners book you would probably need another one or two to supplement it, but that may just be me. I like several sources on the same suject to pick out bits from each. It's a personal thing. That said I like this book very much. It is written in good plain english, the pictures are good and clear, showing where the chisel/gouge is pointing and where the flute is etc. It has good tips and clear instruction. It has a nice bit about harvesting your own wood and what to look for in the log, what the grain will look like. I would definitely recommend this book.

Woodturning Forms and Materials
Woodturning Forms and Materials
by John Hunnex

5.0 out of 5 stars Woodturning Forms and Materials, 9 Feb 2009
I've been woodturning for a couple of years and have several books on the subject. I like this book. Each page is dedicated to one finished project with a short description. It is not crammed with how to do it or problems encountered etc but does have a few pointers. It is a book that may fire your imagination. Nothing in it is ultra complicated, that said I would like to finish some of the stuff to the same standard. The book will remain on my shelf and occasionally I will pull it out to see if I can try something similar. For me it was a good buy.