Profile for buddy boo > Reviews

The Burning Air
The Burning Air
by Erin Kelly

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been sooooo much better., 17 July 2014
This review is from: The Burning Air (Paperback)
Had never heard of this author and only read it as it was the choice of my book club. I read the back & thought this is right up my street!
The initial few chapters were really good, and the Darcy / Matt twist was very well executed. I agree with the other reviewers that Lydia's character was really dull and as for her death bed "confession" well.....
My problem ares were - what became of the letter Sophie received in the throws of labour ? Sooo much more could have been made of that !
the postnatal depression quickly followed by a fourth pregnancy ...... Too much.
The whole louis/jinks thing - boring.
The ending was pants - a really super idea with a great twist badly let down. What a shame.....

Life After Life
Life After Life

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it -eventually., 4 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Life After Life (Kindle Edition)
This book is possibly THE most frustrating book you will ever read. It took me three or four chapters to finally get the hang of what the hell was going on despite the book starting with Ursula being in a cafe in 1930's Germany then being born, then dying, then being born again- Confused? You will be.
If I ever see the phrase ...."and darkness fell" again I swear I won't be responsible for my actions !!
I did find the meeting between Ursula and a certain young German woman a little improbable.
But bare with it, the characters are wonderful ( except for Mrs Haddock- purpose?) and are written with flair and beautiful prose. The key to success here is watch the dates at the chapter headings and PAY ATTENTION !!

Innocent Smoothie Recipe Book: 57 and a Half Recipes From Our Kitchen to Yours
Innocent Smoothie Recipe Book: 57 and a Half Recipes From Our Kitchen to Yours
by Louise Haines

4.0 out of 5 stars Great -easy to follow recipes the kids will love., 4 Jun. 2014
Straight forward, easy to follow, -especially for the kids- does exactly what is says on the tin !! Great results.

One Step Too Far
One Step Too Far

3.0 out of 5 stars A "Gripping Thriller" it is not., 4 Jun. 2014
This review is from: One Step Too Far (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book as I love a thriller with a twist and suspense. So I kept waiting and waiting.... When the "twist" was finally revealed I did a slight double take and then thought "really ? All this time & that's it ?" . There is a twist of that there's no doubt but gripping it ain't ! How the journey of a young woman to London and her life there in can be described as a thriller is beyond me. She does nothing "thrilling" or "suspect" and as for the dalliance with Robbie- what was that all about - it was clumsy and obvious with a completely predictable outcome.
Once the twist had been revealed we still have to plough on through for more "revelations" -please - the book should have been tied up there and then.
It's a perfectly easy, light and forgettable read. Don't buy it if your genre is suspense and proper thrillers.

Con Law (John Bookman Book 1)
Con Law (John Bookman Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Just too much padding., 6 Mar. 2014
Having really enjoy all his previous books, I couldn't wait to get started on this one. But what I did not expect was pages and pages and pages of BORING American law. -who cares , it does not appeal, is completely unnecessary and does not add to the story in any way. If you didn't read the chapter, yes a whole chapter, on obamacare , you would have missed NOTHING about the characters or the story. Book as a character is ok, but I'd rather Jack Reacher. Fracking was topical but the video presentation ? Narrated still by still -please its coma inducing. Also, I'm not sure we needed 4 pages of Nadine explaining her maths calculations ! Surely a synopsis of what she worked out and where that took the story would have been good enough - and certainly less boring !
Read this authors other books don't bother with this one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2015 12:54 PM GMT

What Alice Forgot
What Alice Forgot
by Liane Moriarty

5.0 out of 5 stars un-put-down-able !!, 3 Mar. 2014
This review is from: What Alice Forgot (Paperback)
I had never heard of this author, just liked the sound of the brief on the back cover.
I was hooked straight away, and could not put it down. It is sooo much more than chic-lit and really makes you think who were YOU 10yrs ago ? and have you changed for the better?
Read it , you'll love it -honestly.

Fruitful Nights
Fruitful Nights

5.0 out of 5 stars Green people do it again, 14 May 2013
This review is from: Fruitful Nights (Personal Care)
I love all the Green People products and this one is no exception. It feels a little less "creamy" than other commercial products but is no less efficient. With SPF 15 what's not to like.

Stranger Than Fiction [DVD]
Stranger Than Fiction [DVD]
Dvd ~ Will Ferrell
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 19 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Stranger Than Fiction [DVD] (DVD)
With the cast its got I expected much much more-it ok for a rainy night in. Dustin Hoffman is fab !!

The Vintage Teacup Club
The Vintage Teacup Club
by Vanessa Greene

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother.....utter dross, 19 Dec. 2012
The format was awful, the grammar shocking , the characters boring at best , my 10yr old could have, in fact has done better !!

The Count of Monte Cristo (Young Reading, Series 3) (Young Reading Series Three)
by Rob Lloyd Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Do your kids a favour, they will love this......, 6 Sept. 2012
If, like me , you have a 10yr old who would rather kick a ball than read a book, or an 8yr old who devours books, then this is a must buy.
It is short enough to tell the story before losing their attention, long enough to get the story across without losing any of the drama or intrigue and just enough malice and scheming to make it "cool" ( important especially when your friends find out you're reading a French classic).
The story moves at a pace with great pictures alongside, but not so many as to make it a picture book.
It has made my (non-reading) son WANT to read more and for that I am forever grateful to usborne for pitching an amazing classic at kids and getting them to read.
Onwards and upwards.....