Profile for Barbara Parr > Reviews

Content by Barbara Parr

Barbara Parr (North Wales)

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable!, 30 Sept. 2012
When my husband wanted to buy me a Kindle for my birthday, I was sure that I didn't want one. I read a lot and have always
enjoyed the feel and the smell of books and couldn't imagine ever wanting to use a Kindle. Eventually, I realized that it
would be handy to take on holiday as I could have a selection of books but not the associated weight in my case. That was
in May and I've never put it down! I love it and recommend it to all my friends and family. I can read for much longer as my eyes don't get tired as quickly as they did with books. Even the longest book is only the weight of the Kindle. The best thing is being able to choose the font size. Now, when sat in the hairdressers surrounded by people reading magazines but unable to put on my reading glasses, I can just increase the size of the font and continue reading my latest novel! Anyone toying with the idea of a Kindle...go ahead....you won't regret it!

Weekend Hats
Weekend Hats
by Cecily Glowik Macdonald

3.0 out of 5 stars Before you Buy, 30 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Weekend Hats (Paperback)
Be careful before you buy. These are beautiful, fashionable hats but they are all knit on circular needles.
This may not be a problem for some but if you have not used circular needles before they are rather tricky to
get used to. I managed to convert one pattern to be able to knit it on straight needles and it has turned out
really lovely but some patterns are just too involved. If I had known beforehand then I would not have chosen
this particular book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2013 12:41 PM BST

Birdman: Jack Caffery series 1
Birdman: Jack Caffery series 1

4.0 out of 5 stars Bit too graphic, 30 Sept. 2012
This is a very good storyline and overall I did really enjoy the book, though at times I found it hard to read because it was so graphic it was disturbing. I bought this book after reading Hanging Hill which I much preferred but this would appeal to those who aren't at all put off by gory details.

Into the Darkest Corner
Into the Darkest Corner

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Debut Novel, 30 Sept. 2012
Like many others, I found this book somewhat confusing at first, moving from one period to another but I got used to it surprisingly quickly and just couldn't put it down. It gives a comprehensive insight into OCD. I thought I knew what it was like from various TV characters but there is so much more to it and it was easy to understand where her actions came from. The authors notes at the end of the book were both interesting and informative and added to my enjoyment of the book. Many others have gone into the storyline so I will only say that I am very impressed at the fact that this is the first novel for Elizabeth Haynes and I look forward to many more.

Enough To Make A Cat Laugh
Enough To Make A Cat Laugh
by Deric Longden

5.0 out of 5 stars Enough to make a cat laugh by Deric Longden, 6 May 2009
A wonderful mix of humnour and sadness. The author has an amazing insight into people and the situations they get themselves into, animals and their sometimes whacky antics and delightfully enthralls with his interpretaion of various situations he witnesses. A thoroughly enjoyable book.

Bones of the Hills (Conqueror, Book 3)
Bones of the Hills (Conqueror, Book 3)
by Conn Iggulden

5.0 out of 5 stars Bones of the Hills, 2 Feb. 2009
After reading and thoroughly enjoying The Emperor series and the first two books of the Conqueror series, I could not imagine that his books could get any better but Bones of the Hills was the most fantastic read. Action packed throughout, Genghis Khan is at times ferocious, in carrying out his justice or revenge, at times showing a gentler side with his grandchildren but always Conn Iggulden has you on the edge of your seat wondering what the next page will bring. There are a few surprises in this book which may shock or upset you with regards to how you may want the story to continue. I agree wholeheartedly with the Daily Express review shown on the back of the book...."I felt as if a blockbuster movie was unfolding before me..."