Profile for Margot Leadbetter > Reviews

Prayer-Bytes: Everyday Prayers for Young People
by Rosemary Atkins
Price: 7.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Little gem, 21 Jan 2010
I bought this for my ten-year-old nephew on his confirmation. I wanted something that he would find accessible and that he could turn to during the next few years. On receipt, I found the book smaller than expected - it's pretty thin - but the content's great: simple prayers, designed to suit different occasions in a young person's life. My nephew said he liked the 'Txt God' one. That's good enough for me.

Gigaset C595 Twin DECT Telephone
Gigaset C595 Twin DECT Telephone

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice phone. Just a couple of things..., 21 Jan 2010
After much research I chose this Siemens phone as opposed to the Panasonic one. I didn't want anything garish and the C595 seemed the most stylish, discreet option. A similar model had also been awarded a Which 'Best Buy'. In general, I'm pretty pleased. It's not too plasticky or silver and sits okay in the docking stations. The instructions are, so far, easy to follow and the screen is clear. I like the dark display option.

However...there seems to be a problem with the missed/received calls feature. It doesn't work! Having contacted Siemens and followed their advice to re-register the phone, it still doesn't work! Siemens have now suggested I contact my provider, BT, to see if they have something to do with this. I'm awaiting a reply...

Another minor concern is one that another reviewer raised on the Argos site - how does one synchronise the ring tones on the main base and handset? Is it possible?! And why aren't there the same number of ring tones available for the base station as there are for the handset? Am I missing something?!

All advice welcome!

Traditional Chess with Wooden Board & Pieces
Traditional Chess with Wooden Board & Pieces
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A great start, 13 Jan 2010
I bought this for my five year old nephew who has learned chess at school. As a previous reviewer noted, the pieces are a little light, but all-in-all it's excellent value for money and has been a real success. It looks fairly impressive and does the job. A great present! (I also included 'Checkmate: My First Chess Book' which is a sound guide and has stylish illustrations!)