Profile for kungfuangel > Reviews

Content by kungfuangel

kungfuangel (Brighton)

Page: 1 | 2
Duronic HDC2 Small Black EVA Case for External Portable Hard Drive - Suitable for WD/western digital/Toshiba/Buffalo/Hitachi/Seagate/Samsung - Can fit many sizes incl. 500gb 1tb + More
Offered by DURONIC

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for what I needed, 5 Oct 2013
I ordered this as I needed to protect my external hard drive, which goes with me everywhere. Within two days of ordering it, it arrived, and I'm very happy with it. Recommended.

A Dream of Red Mansions
A Dream of Red Mansions
by Ts'ao Hsueh-Chin

4.0 out of 5 stars A great story, 3 July 2013
This is a fabulous story and the only reason I've given it 4 stars instead of 5 is because it's so heavily annotated. Obviously this is an epic book and reading the unabridged version would take an age, but sometimes there was mention of an event that had clearly already happened but that had been skipped for brevity. It would have been better if those events were included. All the same, I would recommend it to anyone who wants to learn about Chinese social history.

The Trickster and the Paranormal
The Trickster and the Paranormal
by George P. Hansen

5.0 out of 5 stars An important book, 3 July 2013
I borrowed a copy of this book before buying it myself. I'd heard such great things about it that I was intrigued. It's not the easiest read, by any means, but it's compelling and it's important. Take time over it - it can't be skimmed - sometimes I'd have to read paragraphs twice or even three times to make them sink in. But it's a life-changing book.

The Red Chamber
The Red Chamber
by Pauline Chen

5.0 out of 5 stars The Red Chamber, 8 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Red Chamber (Paperback)
Unlike the previous reviewer, I think this is a great retelling of the classic story. I've just read them both, an abridged version of the original first, then this, and I think Pauline Chen has done a worthy job of reimagining the story for a modern audience.

Modern writers can't be expected to recapture the old styles of writing exactly. They are influenced by modern life and we think differently, now. It isn't fair to compare this unfavourably with the original. Pauline Chen makes no secret of the fact that she has not kept to the original story and apologises if anyone is offended. But to say it's badly written is just plain wrong. I could find a few things I would change in it, but they were minor niggles in a gorgeous book.

It's all subjective, I know, but to say the characters are cardboard and cliched is baffling to me. This is a great read and it's beautifully written.

Gallants [DVD] [US Import]
Gallants [DVD] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Chi-Kin Kwok

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic kung fu action, 12 May 2011
This review is from: Gallants [DVD] [US Import] (DVD)
I went to see this on Sunday with some other members of my kung fu club. The director Clement Cheng introduced the film and took questions afterwards. This is a classic kung fu film, with some of the original Shaw Brothers actors, meaning the martial arts action was top notch, but the best thing for me by far was seeing Clement Cheng outside as we were leaving, and shaking his hand (and he bowed to me, which was a real honour). If you love kung fu, watch out for this film. When it's available here in the UK on DVD, I'll definitely get it.

Thirteen Fires
Thirteen Fires
Offered by nativespiritdirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad but happy memories for me, 2 Jan 2011
This review is from: Thirteen Fires (Audio CD)
This album, Bluehorses' final recording, brings back bittersweet memories for me. When it was released, I'd just lost someone close to me. Their legendary 'Krimblyboddle' gigs were legendary for a reason - the one they played at Winchester in December 2007 was the last time I saw them, shortly before they split. Get this album - it's rock n' roll, it's metal, it's folk, it's just... just trust me and get it. They were fabulous.

Chartbreak (Plus)
Chartbreak (Plus)
by Gillian Cross

5.0 out of 5 stars Influential, 31 Oct 2010
This review is from: Chartbreak (Plus) (Paperback)
This is the book I've read more times than I can remember and more than any other (and I've read a LOT of books). I came across this one when I was about 13 and I remember I was in the middle of reading it when Gillian Cross made a school visit and I met her. More than 20 years later, it's still one of my favourite books and I can pick it up, open it at whatever page and know where I am, as I know the story so well. I'd recommend it to anyone who loves music as well as reading and the quality of the writing is such that the author draws you into the story and makes you continue. So far as I'm concerned, this book is a work of art, and you don't need to be a teenager to enjoy it.

20 Fragments of a Ravenous Youth
20 Fragments of a Ravenous Youth
by Xiaolu Guo

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for a rainy Sunday, 1 Sep 2010
Guo Xialou (the Chinese way is to put the family name first) is an extremely visual writer whose style is never awkward or difficult. This short book had me gripped and I started and finished it in the space of an afternoon. It's a sweet, easy read which I'd recommend to anyone who likes fiction for its own sake. This is pure indulgence.

Country Driving: A Chinese Road Trip
Country Driving: A Chinese Road Trip
by Peter Hessler

5.0 out of 5 stars Get to know the real Chinese, 1 Sep 2010
Peter Hessler is one of the few Westerners to be in a position to tell you what it's like living in China: he's done it. Each book of his has been an eye-opener and genuinely funny, moving, touching and enlightening. His writing style is fluid and entertaining, his doesn't glamorise what's not glamorous and because he loves the Chinese so much, he can take the mickey in a way that is never derogatory. His love for the Chinese people is clear. I have always wanted to go to China and Peter Hessler's books take me some way there before I've even got my ticket. Highly recommended.

Mud: Stories of Sex and Love
Mud: Stories of Sex and Love
by Michéle Roberts

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best writers I've ever come across, 1 Sep 2010
I first learnt about Michele Roberts while I was at university. One of the set books was 'The Wild Girl' (now republished as 'The Secret Gospel of Mary Magdalene'). I wasn't sure I'd like it - I'm not Christian - but the writing style she uses is immediate and visual and I found myself hooked from that point on. 'Mud' is the latest of her short story collections and, as you might expect, mud is a recurrent theme throughout the book. I was interested to know how she would incorporate it, but being the excellent writer she is, she makes it work perfectly. I always look forward to more from Michele Roberts and this collection just reaffirms my reason why: she's brilliant.

Page: 1 | 2