Profile for Edward Mills > Reviews

Content by Edward Mills

Edward Mills (Manchester, UK)

Toshiba 37XV503DB - 37" Widescreen 1080p Full HD LCD TV With Freeview
Toshiba 37XV503DB - 37" Widescreen 1080p Full HD LCD TV With Freeview

4.0 out of 5 stars No problems so far, great screen, 6 Aug 2008
Having used the tele for about a week, I'm really pleased with it. It displays full 1080p perfectly, blu-ray films from my PS3 look awesome and the games look equally good. I'm not too sure about the game mode, it just seems to change the brightness but there may be other things at work so I'm not too sure. It's got a pile of inputs in the back which was nice and I've had no problem plugging everything in. I plugged an aerial in, but the built in freeview was unable to pick up a signal so I'm not too sure how fussy this tele will be in low-signal areas as I believe I might be. Also, when connecting via VGA, it's not possible to stretch the screen to the full width which is a shame if you'd planned to use this VGA mode to watch films on the screen - if anyone knows a way, I'd appreciate hearing it.

All in all a great purchase and at £600 with a stand, you can't really go wrong.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 14, 2008 7:30 PM BST

Cloverfield [Blu-ray] [2008] [Region Free]
Cloverfield [Blu-ray] [2008] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Mike Vogel
Offered by Shop4World

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a monster movie, pure and simple., 6 Aug 2008
Many reviewers didn't love Cloverfield due to a lack of substance in the characters and others questioning why the guy didn't just drop the camera to begin with considering the situation. However, I can't help but feel when considering what sort of film we're witnessing, where is the harm in suspending one's belief system and allowing ourselves to believe and be absorbed? The hectic camera and the incredible special effects come together so well, I find it hard to believe that anyone could claim that Cloverfield, at the very least, isn't a ground breaking movie that pulls out all the stops. Cloverfield was never meant to be anything but a straight up monster film, and that's exactly what it is. Incredible from start to finish, and even better when watched in high definition.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 1, 2013 3:07 AM GMT

Anywhere I Lay My Head
Anywhere I Lay My Head

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, worth a listen, 14 May 2008
This review is from: Anywhere I Lay My Head (Audio CD)
I think some of the reviews here are unfair and are simply just music snobbery. I'm not going to insinuate that this is one of the greatest albums ever, it isn't, but it is certainly a very good attempt considering how much rubbish tends to come as a result of actress-turn-singer albums.
The opening instrumental, Fawn, is a fantastically powerful track that (whilst I feel it's bizarre it's the opening and not the finale) is worth a listen if you're going to ignore the rest. Tracks such as 'Town with no cheer' and 'Fannin Street' make for a respectable album that is most certainly worth some of your time. The good thing, at the end of the day, is that it isn't just empty, manufactured pop music which can only be considered a bonus.