Profile for maryscot0509 > Reviews

The Light Between Oceans
The Light Between Oceans
by M L Stedman

5.0 out of 5 stars A tearjerker....I'm still recovering!, 10 Jun. 2013
The theme of the book is no secret but how the story pans out from that initial incident is just simply remarkable. I defy anyone not to cry at this amazing book. It's so heartfelt, well written, well structured etc etc. Despite the main characters effectively having committed quite the crime, your heart goes out to both of them and you feel their pain through the pages of the book. I can't really say any more as I'll give the plot away and I don't want to do that. Read the book, go on Tom and Izzy's journey and ask yourself what you would really do, or have done, in their position.....not as easy a question as you think!

The Power Behind The Throne
The Power Behind The Throne

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting concept, well executed (no pun intended!), 21 May 2013
I loved the concept of this book, mainly because I have always imagined there are things like this going on that us general public lot would never, ever know about! I'm also intruiged by some of the references in the book which I know could be fictional but which I also think could have a hint of truth! It's a well written book with depth to the characters and the locations to the extent that you feel you're there and you feel the characters' emotions. It's fast paced too which is good, there's no quiet section in the middle. There is one part of the book I actually felt was really sad which you don't normally get in a thriller of this nature so it's a good reflection on the book's many different facets (I can't tell you which bit or I will give the plot away!).

I would thoroughly recommend giving this book a go.

Heart-shaped Bruise
Heart-shaped Bruise
by Tanya Byrne

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, would definitely recommend it!, 25 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Heart-shaped Bruise (Paperback)
I loved this book, I loved the concept of telling the story gradually through Emily's notebook. The 'twist' wasn't as much of a twist as I anticipated but it still didn't dampen my enthusiam for this book which I seemed to read in record time! I won't go into how I felt about the characters as it would give too much away. I would simply tell people to read it and make their own minds up. It's well written, pacy and will leave you feeling torn as to your real feelings for the characters. It will also leave you wanting more from the author - when's the next book!?

Human Remains
Human Remains
by Elizabeth Haynes

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking thriller..., 25 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Human Remains (Paperback)
I have read all of EH's books and whilst Into The Darkest Corner remains my favourite this is certainly a close second. It's a genuis concept, very creepy and thought provoking. It also has a good ending, leaving enough mystery to make you go 'nooooo' but tying up enough loose ends for you to be satsified. Definitely worth a read!

Reamde
Reamde
by Neal Stephenson

5.0 out of 5 stars Needs to be a film!, 19 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Reamde (Paperback)
It took me a while to read this book but I loved every single page of it. In some places it could be seen to be contrived but I don't care, it kept me gripped, it was fantastically written, the characters had real presence and the technical references show the level of research the author must have done. I will definitely be reading more of his books. I'm a new and hopefully devoted fan!

The Wicked Girls
The Wicked Girls
by Alex Marwood

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating subject, well written and a real page-turner!, 19 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Wicked Girls (Paperback)
This is the second book I have read this week where you have a current and back story running concurrently throughout the book but again it works so well and is great in building the tension. The subject is a delicate one in a way and although the focus is on the perpetrators trying to keep their identities hidden it almost becomes secondary to the current string of murders in that you're desperate yourself to know who's responsible! It's really well written throughout and I loved the unexpected ending. I can't wait for the author's second book!

The Sick Rose
The Sick Rose
by Erin Kelly

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute belter of a story, 19 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Sick Rose (Paperback)
I read this book in record time but not because I was reading quickly, I just simply couldn't put it down. I was actually annoyed when my flight landed early as it meant less reading time! The story was fantastic, the pace never stopped, the gradual building of the back stories of the main characters through the course of the book worked really well and the ending....well, yes I shed a tear!

I'm not going to say anymore for fear of giving something away. All I will say is read it - you won't be disappointed!

The Shining
The Shining
by Stephen King

5.0 out of 5 stars A very scary read!, 19 Sept. 2012
This review is from: The Shining (Paperback)
I have just re-read The Shining after many, many years and I forgot how scary it really is. I know Stephen King doesn't always get the credit he deserves for his books and admittedly he's written some duds (in my opinion) but The Shining is just simply an amazing horror novel. It has all the ingredients required of a horror novel to the point where you start shutting doors behind you in your own house and leaving the landing light on, it really does get to you that much. There is far more depth to Jack than you would imagine and I love the way the book delves into his and Wendy's past to give you an idea as to why they are how they are now. This is definitely one of the best King novels and one of my favourites which I am sure I will re-read again and again (when I am less scared!).

I have heard today that there is a sequel coming out next year called (I think) Doctor Sleep about Danny as his life as progressed and more 'shining' activities. Let's hope it does The Shining justice.

Six Suspects: Detective Fiction
Six Suspects: Detective Fiction
by Vikas Swarup

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, cannot fault it!, 3 Sept. 2012
I was worried about reading this given that Slumdog Millionaire was such a great book but I had no need to be. It's equally as good, if not better. The pace of it, the characters, the way you try to figure out yourself how it all entwines etc means you'll struggle to put it down until you know 'who did it'! A very clever author and one whose books I will continue to read as they're published.

Ghost Song
Ghost Song
by Sarah Rayne

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable!, 2 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Ghost Song (Paperback)
This is the first book I have read by Sarah Rayne and I may well have found myself a new favourite author as now I want to read more! I will admit to not be sure about the book from the back cover synopsis but actually that synopsis doesn't do it justice in the sense it's far darker and more disturbing in parts than you could imagine. I can't say too much for fear of giving things away but the development of what you think is a minor character is genius, I honestly didn't see that coming. Her style of writing is great, the intensity just right in that it keeps you wanting to turn the page until you're all done, in fact you almost don't want the book to come to an end. I applaud Ms Rayne for a great book and I will certainly be reading some, if not all, of her others.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3